walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Amazing sunrise over Glen Affric (Ben Attowt)

Amazing sunrise over Glen Affric (Ben Attowt)

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhada, from Morvich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 21/10/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1497m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn Fhada and A’ Ghlas-Bheinn

video report as usual:

Having cracked my radial head (elbow) a few weeks ago – I was itching to get out and about again. I had not done any exercise since that trip and was a little apprehensive about not being knackered at the end of this trip!!! No heavy lifting for 6 weeks they said – but nothing was mentioned about walking :lol: :lol:  ha-ha

I have around 20 Munros left to do and all of those are in far flung places which are too far away for a day trip. So the plan was to drive up to Morvich the night before and it was decided that we would use the cars instead of tents. I have done this a few times before and I must admit I personally find it more comfy than the tent option (plus the fact that I had a duvet, pillow, sleeping back numerous mats – simply luxurious!!).

Left home around 20.00 on the Saturday night and the plan was to meet up at the commando memorial at 22.00. It went to plan and we found ourselves at Morvich for around 23.15. Perfect – no sunlight in October after 19.30 – so we parked up and got our kit ready and off to bed. Slept ok – woke a few times with a sore arm but apart from that it was pretty comfy!!
Woke at 05.15 and had the brew on by half past. A coffee and some Weetabix got me set up and before long we were off along Gleann Choinneachan. It was pitch black – not even a hint of sunrise so we were reliant on the head torches. As we headed towards Bealach an Sgairne – light started to filter through the eastern sky. I had been hoping that we would get a nice sunrise and was hoping reach the bealach for this. Initially I thought the sunrise was not going to be impressive, however on reaching the Bealach, I was met by probably the best sunrise I have ever witnessed. It certainly made up for the last sunrise I witnessed (which caused my broken arm!!!). On that topic – my arm was doing well, it was not too sore and the only time I had pain was when I pushed it out to balance after a slip - that was sore!!!!!
play10.jpg
sunrise 1
play8.jpg
Mullach

Anyway after 10mins at the Bealach we headed north and summited A’Ghlas Bheinn. A few false summits and a ridge which seemed to go on forever, however we topped out at about 09.15. An interesting hill but with a nice path all the way up.

The same cannot be said for Meall a Bealaich!! A grubby, wet , manky hill side with only hints of a path. The wet moss and grass and steepness made slipping a real possibility and with my bust arm, this made this ascent unpleasant!! I made sure that I had my good arm nearest the hillside as much as possible. Anyway eventually reached the saddle on Beinn Fhada’s north ridge and from here it was a slog to the summit. Arm was hurting a little now and my legs were a little tired now but the views were sill fantastic. Carn Eighe and Mam Sodhail had a good covering of snow but there was just sprinkle on Bheinn Fhada. It was now near noon and we had to head back to the car. We met a few people on our descent and eventually got back to the car around 14.30. A fantastic trip and a sunrise to make up for the evil sunrise in Atholl.!! Plus the benefit of know that I can get back walking (still cannot get on a bike though). A few ibuprofen and solpadol sorted that out!! Hopefully will get out again soon….. :wink: :D :crazy: :crazy:
black and white.jpg
panorama
black white 2.jpg
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Two Munros and a mending Arm (video)

Postby McLEOD » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:49 pm

I wouldn,t know where to start to make a vid like that, fantastic,
you certainly were rewarded with the braw sunrise,
cheers :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 pm

McLEOD wrote:I wouldn,t know where to start to make a vid like that, fantastic,
you certainly were rewarded with the braw sunrise,
cheers :thumbup:

Thanks - thought Id try something different on this video for a cange :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:44 pm

change even not cange!! :roll:
wilkiemurray

Postby PeteR » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Another great video, report and pictures :D These two are, in my opinion anyway, underated hills tucked away from more illustrious cousins nearby.

Liked the "sleeping in the boot" idea :lol: Have just got a new mortor myself with a massive boot space, and was thinking of doing the same as you there :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:32 pm

We are not worthy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you start courses in photography or indeed you even fancy a walk in the Lake District then let us know.

Amazing - truly inspiring.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:03 am

Incredible video, your best to date.

Nice to see what these hills look like as i didnt see a thing when doing them!

Looking forward to the completion video as i'm sure that will be something else.

Thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Bod » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 am

Well done, great effort there, the walking and the video. I've still go these two to look forward too :wink: :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:40 pm

PeteR wrote:Another great video, report and pictures :D These two are, in my opinion anyway, underated hills tucked away from more illustrious cousins nearby.

Liked the "sleeping in the boot" idea :lol: Have just got a new mortor myself with a massive boot space, and was thinking of doing the same as you there :D

I must do it more often - as mentioned - I think the car is more comfy thanj the tent - no stones and the added luxury of a duvet and pillow!! Could do with boot being about a foot longer though!!
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jimandandrea wrote:We are not worthy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

If you start courses in photography or indeed you even fancy a walk in the Lake District then let us know.

Amazing - truly inspiring.

Thanks for the kind comments - I think it more the location and weather that made the pictures halve decent - I have plently of rubbish picture too!!! Thats the good thing about digital cameras - you can chuck away the not so good pics

Never been to the Lakes (must chage that at some point!!)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 pm

dooterbang wrote:Incredible video, your best to date.

Nice to see what these hills look like as i didnt see a thing when doing them!

Looking forward to the completion video as i'm sure that will be something else.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Dooter bang - thought id try more commentry in this one - perhaps gives it more of a tale?

Could be a while till the completion video as all remanin munros are miles away!!! will keep knocking off the corbetts and ry and get the munros done when time permits - thanks for nice comments
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Bod wrote:Well done, great effort there, the walking and the video. I've still go these two to look forward too :wink: :D :clap:

Thasnks BOD - A good days outing here - cracking hills :D enjoy them when you go :D
wilkiemurray

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland