walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Aden - hardest Corbett or am I just getting old ?

Ben Aden - hardest Corbett or am I just getting old ?

Postby JOHNGG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 am

Date walked: 11/08/2012

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 900m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Is Ben Aden the hardest Corbett to climb ? Technically it's not that difficult, but as a day walk the remoteness of its location coupled with its general inaccessibility, does make for one heck of a long day out.

My own (not so) brilliant idea was to attempt to canoe along Loch Quoich to the dam at the west end and then have a relativey easy climb and canoe back. The weather was brilliant (some cloud that burnt off quickly) but there was also a stiff breeze and the waves whipping up meant that going out for a solo canoe in the middle of nowhere was a non starter. Nope - it was the long walk in (and out for me) today.

The loch was very low which allowed some of the rough track on the shoreline to be avoided.
Knoydart 2012 025.JPG

I made decent time but still was puffing by the time I finally made it to the dam.

Knoydart 2012 029.JPG

I attempted a different route to the top of Ben Aden from most reports I have read, and I think that is probably a good thing as my route up was not too easy but I was finally on the summit after just under 4.5 hours.

Knoydart 2012 034.JPG
finally !

However, looking back and seeing what i had still to do to get to the car was demoralising. Surely if there is any hill that needs to be tackled over a long weekend with a tent and not as a day trip, it is this one.

Knoydart 2012 038.JPG
a long way back to the car

Suffice to say the descent (due north) was pretty steep, craggy and tricky and also very tiring and the walk back to the car was a long long slog, during which I ran out off food and drink (oops) I was pretty tired by the time I got back to Dundee at midnight - some 18 hours after setting off. Still - the photos are excellent (due to the scenery , not the photographers skills)

25, 29, 34
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Re: Ben Aden - hardest Corbett or am I just getting old ?

Postby icemandan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:35 pm

Certainly one of the hardest I've done. I made the mistake of thinking I could do Ben Aden and Sgurr na Ciche in an afternoon and can remember getting back on my hands and knees in the dark - and that was from Sourlies.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:52 pm

Hopefully one day i'll be able to answer that, once i've climbed it. It's certainly one of the remotest and one i've looked at for a while now, looking more at how to climb and when to climb it. Best way would be on a day like you got and to spend a few days in there wild camping :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby JOHNGG » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:35 pm

RTC wrote:Lovely photos. Was it harder than Ben Lair or Beinn Bhreac?
I checked to see which Corbetts you have left. Which one do you intend to finish on? Sgurr Coire Choinnichean would be a good one as it would allow for a celebration in the Forge Inn. All the best for your final few. Russell

I'd say definitely harder than Ben Lair or Bheinn Bhreac, simply because, although the distances are similar those two at least allow you to mountain bike a good bit of the way . Factor in the rough walking/scrambling on Ben Aden and by comparison Bheinn Bhreac (heathery Grampians) or Beb Lair (nice stalkers path then a gentle stroll along a dome top) are a "walk in the park".

Haven't decided which will be the final one yet - Jura, Harris or Knoydart all have their own particular attractions......

cheers
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:47 pm

looks like a long treck in - I have always fancied getting a kayak fo this sort of expedition - but as you say only if the water ifflat calm -(or wind at your back!! :lol: :lol: )

Great pictures and repot and it looks like it has a really remote feel to it
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland