walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Gulabin - Spittal of Glenshee

Ben Gulabin - Spittal of Glenshee

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Route description: Ben Gulabin, Glen Shee

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Date walked: 26/10/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My plan for the day was to walk down Glen Ey from Inveray and climb Carn Bhac & Beinn Lutharn Mhor however the MWIS forecast for the day put me off as the prediction was for 50mph winds later in the day along with snow showers and taking into account wind chill, temperatures dropping to -20.

So, a hill with a short walk in and off the hill by midday was the new plan and Ben Gulabin seemed to fit the bill. This is a hill I've driven past so many times, it is just to the north of Spittal of Glenshee and when travelling from the south it looks like it should have good views.

I arrived at the starting point, a layby just to the north of the Spittal just as dawn broke and as I got myself ready there was the eerie sound of rutting deer somewhere in the distance.

Looking towards The Cairnwell.jpg
Looking towards The Cairnwell at dawn

From the parking area you immediately start the climb, quickly leaving the roadside behind and the track affords good views north following the road up through Glenshee.

Heading round the north east side of Ben Gulabin and to the south of Creagan Bheithe my OS map shows the track coming to an abrupt end so it was a surprise to see this ugly bulldozed track heading straight up Ben Gulabin.

Early morning sunlight on Ben Gulabin.jpg
Early morning sunlight on Ben Gulabin

As the photo shows, the climb is steep but it's a fairly quick climb and in about 55 minutes I'm on the summit. A few metres below the summit and about 200 metres to the south east there seemed to be a good view point so I headed down to see what was what.

This is the view looking up towards The Cairnwell with the sun still to rise high enough to hit the glen floor.

Looking towards The Cairnwell from Ben Gulabin.jpg
Looking towards The Cairnwell and Glas Maol

From Ben Gulabin looking south west.jpg
The view to the South West

The view looking North.jpg

Ben Gulabin is only 806 metres high but even at this height the top felt really exposed with a strong wind blowing the odd snow flake past at a fair old speed. It wasn't a day for hanging about so after a few minutes I headed back down the track.

Looking over towards Creagan Bheithe.jpg
Creagan Bheithe

Once back down at the junction of tracks at around 600 metres it seemed a bit soon to be heading back for the car so I took the track heading north to see where it went. I'm glad I did as a mile further up the track I was treated to the sight of a large herd of red deer sunning themselves on the sheltered south facing slope of Creag Lamhaich.

A further wander still sticking to the non existent track on my OS I finished up at the top of Carn Mor and again there were really good views in all directions.

Looking west from Carn Mor.jpg
Looking west from Carn Mor

View from Carn Mor.jpg

From Carn Mor it's a straight forward walk back down the track to the roadside starting point. This is a view of the track looking back between Ben Gulabin and Creagan Bheithe.

The track heading upwards between Ben Gulabin & Creagan Bheithe.jpg

Nearly back at the car - one last shot looking up the glen towards The Cairnwell.

View towards The Cairnwell.jpg

To do Ben Gulabin in isolation would probably only take a couple of hours so this is a nice easy hill to do if time is short. The views are good and this is definitely one I will go back to. It's also time to get my Corbetts book out and have a look at doing some more over the winter if some of the Munros are covered in snow (this was only my 3rd Corbett!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Ben Gulabin - Spittal of Glenshee

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:05 pm

This is a nice wee wander and you certainly picked a good day for it. There are a few more Corbetts in this area all doable within 4hrs which make them good options for the winter months as long as the A93 stays open :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Ben Gulabin - Spittal of Glenshee

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Mount Blair is another one I seem to have passed loads of times and never climbed..........think this one could be next!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland