walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gowbarrow Fell

Gowbarrow Fell

Postby richardkchapman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:45 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Gowbarrow Fell

Date walked: 22/10/2012

Time taken: 3.3

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 410m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Everyone was feeling a little tired after our walk yesterday, so the plan today was to tick off some smaller fells - Gowbarrow Fell then on to Little and/or Great Mell Fell if time and energy permitted.

We parked at Aira Force car park, and set off through the glade (very pretty but full of people) and out through a side gate onto the fell side (also very pretty, but completely empty).

The ascent of Gowbarrow feels more like a walk round the fell than up it - first you walk across the southern face (lovely views of Ullswater), then you contour around the east side (views over forests towards Penrith) to a ruined shooting hut. Only from there do you finally feel like you start to climb up the fell rather than round it, and it's not long before you are on the top.

The clouds descended more or less as we reached the top so the views were not great, and in particular the cloud seemed much lower to the north so the Mell fells were looking unappetising at this point. We set off down via Green Hill - a much more direct route. Halfway down I managed to twist my knee - not quite sure how, I wasn't even walking at the time, just turning round. It wasn't a particularly bad twist but it kept twingeing the rest of the way down, so we decided that it would be better to rest it for the rest of the day rather than risk not being able to walk the rest of the week - plans for Great/Little Mell Fell were thus abandoned.

No photos today - wasn't really a great day for them. Gowbarrow Fell is a a pleasant enough walk for a short expedition, with the added attraction of a visit to Aira Force at the start and/or end of the walk.
Attachments

Track_GOWBARROW 221012.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:212   

Re: Gowbarrow Fell

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:23 am

Don't like the sound of that RC, you've been hitting too many of those hills mate, :shock: hope the knee sorts itself out quickly
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby richardkchapman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:41 pm

ChrisW wrote:Don't like the sound of that RC, you've been hitting too many of those hills mate, :shock: hope the knee sorts itself out quickly

It gave me a bit of grief for the next couple of days, but has been fine since then (including up Sheffield Pike and Place Fell) so I think I'm ok. I was a bit concerned at the time though - would have hated to be sitting around unable to walk all week...
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:212   

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 am

Good to hear the knee is getting better!! :)
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland