walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi - Last daylight saving time day...

Ben Ledi - Last daylight saving time day...

Postby cheekykarma » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:20 am

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 28/10/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.2 km

Ascent: 879m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I should start this report with the lies of the BBC! And Reporting Scotland, Friday 26/10/2012. Or choice of words used. They basically to me went for sensation and utter rubbish opposed to actually giving a balanced view of weather and leaving it at that!

MWIS knew better. Saturday was to be a great day for many hills all over. With a time limit depending on area of get off by three in the afternoon at least.

Been a while for me, finally a car to chariot me up to the hills, finally time to get out to them again.

I was looking forward to it, had planned for the energetic assault to Dreish. Looked at a few other munros also but then considered the rains and the cold from the North.

I had not been out for a while. Sporting blisters on the heels from stupid loafer shoes. So a straightforward wee Corbett won the day. Ben Ledi was the target.

I set off very early and arrived at the car park to the left of the Strathyre log cabins very early. Myself and only one other soul.

IMG_3147.JPG
Empty car park - thank you very much ...... (pee!)

An early start by 08 25 I was on my way.

IMG_3155.JPG
rising sun in the forest track

The path is quite a regular rise and steep at parts. It had been a while since I was out. I had walked 100 metres in. I was puffing!

The rising winter sun was great. Glimpses out of the trees caught some fantastic colours as autumn peels itself away and discards foliage to ready for the coming winter cold and dark.

IMG_3162.JPG
lit up in autumnal fires

As I emerged out of the forest track and continued on the path proper toward my target I felt good. Great morning. Huffing, puffing, I could feel my cheeks were pink with glee. The smell. The stillness of the air. The quiet too. But for the sound of my boots, my walking poles, and me puffing like a steam engine.

IMG_3165.JPG
0845 AM Good Morning

The path is straightforward really. It runs off to the left then swings in to the right and up, and up then back again on toward the summit.

IMG_3169.JPG
time to start the shift, the path ahead

The path was made a wee bit more awkward with large parts being iced over. The main concern was not to be caught out and end upon ones .... erse!

IMG_3171.JPG
Icy

Way before my gratuitous summit pics...

It had been a little while, legs and lungs not used to the huff puff up and up. Taking a breather I thought I would take the pic .......

IMG_3175.JPG
the pic known as .......... blowing chunks!

IMG_3176.JPG
Gaining height - looking to Loch Lubnaig - bit chilly!

IMG_3187.JPG
looking toward I think Arrochar - lovely

Once the path turns and you are on a course to the target. The Corbett knows one of those Munro tricks. Show em a top. Make em think ok ok - no tea break yet.... Just let us see that top, surely no further....

IMG_3189.JPG
A top in sight!

IMG_3191.JPG
nope - it was hiding the other top

I find when hills do this, they just taunt you by giving you a little downhill section. That is so cruel! Your body gets a brief release of mmmmm oh yes downhill.... then agh!

The first sight on summit approach from this route is the cross erected in memory of Sgt Harry Lawrie. Worth a moment, not many I guess think much about them at all. Most of us hope to God we never need them.

On route a chopper went roaring past the Ben, it was great. Still that schoolboy moment of excitement for such impressive machines. Quite impressive to think there is people not only the skilled pilots, and servicemen of choppers, but the rescue teams on the ground, who will no matter what, try and find you and get you home.

http://youtu.be/5wujFMyAePA Chopper Pass

IMG_3196.JPG
for Sgt Harry Lawrie

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG
Summit and Trig!

IMG_3205.JPG
Glen Finglas

IMG_3211.JPG
Icy

IMAG0320.jpg
Cuppa time

At the summit it was time for a munch and replenish my knackered wee self. Overall an easy ascent really. Straightforward and great views around.

As I went back down I passed a chap running up! Running! Then I passed many, many more. It was due to be a busy day on Ben Ledi. It was nice to be the early bird and get a lot of the hill to myself for some time.

On they way back down I said Hello, Hi, Hi there, like a lot times! It was indeed set to be a busy day for Ben Ledi.

IMG_3214.JPG
I am glad I was the early bird.

Finally back at the car park and my own trusty steed. I remembered reading that the car park can get very busy ......

IMG_3216.JPG
they were not kidding!!!

A great day! Back on the hills, may there be many more. Thank you Ben Ledi.

http://youtu.be/PrIRqGx5fE4 Summit Video
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Ben Ledi - Last daylight saving time day...

Postby soulminer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 am

It's always the best possible policy to be the early bird :lol: A fine wee report and pics. It is a huffin' and a puffin' path at the start anyway, so I'm not surprised you were blowing chunks :lol: :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:56 am

I went very early like yourself when I did it and I came back to a similar car park :lol:

That start gets you going :shock:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby McLEOD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Good wee report, enjoyed that, I was reading about this walk last night, may do it shortly,
cheers :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby Lynne2509 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 pm

Great report and great pics. I was up there at the end of March earlier this year and had a glorious day. Your pictures reminded me of what a brill day that was. Glad you had fun :)
Lynne2509
Mountain Walker

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:134
Wainwrights:203   Islands:13

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland