walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike

Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike

Postby richardkchapman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Glenridding Dodd, Sheffield Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Sheffield Pike

Date walked: 25/10/2012

Time taken: 5.5

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 650m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the long walk yesterday the kids had been promised a day off, so I had a day to myself (well, with the dogs). I had fancied going up Striding Edge and down Swirral Edge (though I would not have taken the dogs on that route), since no-one else in the family could be persuaded that it would be enjoyable, but the weather forecast suggested that 50mph winds were to be expected on exposed ridges (it even mentioned Striding Edge specifically) which forced me to rethink. Cloud was around 2500 ft which again suggested staying low might be a good move, so I decided to go for Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike (both new Wainwrights for me) which were close enough to not require transport (well, not transport home anyway).

I got a lift as far as a layby between Glenridding and Glencoyne - not the starting point (for Sheffield Pike) recommended by Wainwright in Glencoyne, which I had originally intended to use, but by the time we had parked and I had worked out it was not the one I had intended, I decided it looked like it would work just as well with a very inviting path heading up through Glencoyne Wood towards Glenridding Dodd. Looking back now, it is the starting point recommended by Wainwright for Glenridding Dodd (as the 'much more enjoyable route').

Fallen trees on the way up Glenridding Dodd

The path up here was very nice - fairly steep (and the disadvantage of walking without the kids is that there is no-one to carry my rucksack for me) but I could go at whatever face I fancied so I took my time. Lots of lovely old trees, quite a few of which seemed to have fallen fairly recently, requiring a few detours to avoid the branches.

Looking back at Ullswater

After a while the path levelled off into a very nice mossy depression beside Mossdale Beck, from which the ridge that links Sheffield Pike and Glenridding Dodd was soon reached (via a very rickety gate that took some care to open without completely destroying).

The climb up Glenridding Dodd from the ridge was easy, and the summit very nice with good views over the lake, Glenridding, and Patterdale. I was dismayed to note that High Street was clear of cloud - so much for picking the best day from the forecast.

Patterdale from summit of Glenridding Dodd

Ullswater from summit of Glenridding Dodd

Place Fell from summit of Glenridding Dodd

Ullswater from top of Glenridding Dodd (without the dog)

Heron Pike (Sheffield Pike) from Glenridding Dodd

From Glenridding Dodd to Sheffield Pike the natural route is up the south-east ridge, but given the description as 'steep and rough', and the fact that I would have to manhandle the useless dog up any tricky bits single-handed, I decided to go for a different approach, taking a giant zig-zag across the front of Heron Crag to pick up what Wainwright claimed is 'a route traversing below Heron Pike to the top of the south-east ridge, the walking being easy and the views excellent: this is one of the pleasantest short climbs in Lakeland'

Sounded good in theory, and started off well enough on a very nice path heading back towards the top of the ridge, but then somewhere along the way the path disappeared (I think I must have headed too high too soon) and I ended up picking my way through a boulder field at an uncomfortable angle. To make things worse, once I was nearly across the field, I realized that Sapphie was still stuck at the start of it and unable to find a way through. I decided to carry on and wait for her at the far side - after about 10 minutes of searching different routes she eventually found one much lower down (probably the original path I had lost) and managed to rejoin me.

Glenridding Dodd from top of Heron Pike

After that little hiccup the rest of the climb up Heron Pike was easy enough, and from there the ridge to the summit of Sheffield Pike was easy enough, if a little boggy in places.

Having arrived at the top in a T-shirt, I soon found that as soon as I stopped walking, it got a lot colder, so I ended up eating lunch in full winter coat, hat, gloves etc.

View from the summit of Sheffield Pike

At this point my camera battery ran out.

I did wonder about heading on to Stybarrow Dodd to tick off another summit, but the cloud on the summit looked like it had settled for the day, and I still had a reasonable distance to walk home, so I decided against it. I descended via Nick Head and the remains of an old weir/reservoir, then down the zigzags to the disused lead mine. From there I crossed the Glenridding Beck and set off towards Patterdale on a very substantial path which I think was originally a water race feeding the mine. Over the end of the Birkhouse Moor ridge at Lanty's Tarn, and then back along the Grisedale Road to Patterdale and home.

A very enjoyable walk.
Attachments

Track_SHEFFIELD 251012.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:212   

Re: Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike

Postby Phooooey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Great report and photos. Remember this walk very well although not quite the same route taken. The South east ridge, having read your report, is the much easier option despite what you've read. :lol:
You have exactly the reverse of the problems I experience with my dog Damson. She would be the one waiting 10 minutes for me.
Nice to hear mention of Lanty's Tarn too as we named our first family Golden Retriever after it following camping there with my father as kids.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 am

You certainly made the most of your day without the kids RC and by the looks of things you didn't have many other folks up there to spoil the silence....excellent timing :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby richardkchapman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Phooooey wrote:You have exactly the reverse of the problems I experience with my dog Damson. She would be the one waiting 10 minutes for me.

I have that problem too - Gem (the black Labrador) is always out in front. She seems to be a bit camera shy though - seem to have missed her on all the photos this trip.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Postby richardkchapman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:44 pm

ChrisW wrote:You certainly made the most of your day without the kids RC and by the looks of things you didn't have many other folks up there to spoil the silence....excellent timing :D

Yes, it's been pretty quiet on all our walks this week. I think next week will be the busy one, as that's when most schools are on half term.
richardkchapman
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 am

Nice Wander there Richard and judging from the weather reports you cite...perhaps striding and swirral edges were best avoided!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland