walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A windy summit for our first munro

A windy summit for our first munro

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 26/10/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My sister and I started hill walking about 2 years ago now, we caught the bug after finally reaching to top of one of our local hills, Dumyat. We have never been overly concerned about ticking boxes or which hill is the highest we just enjoy a good walk with excellent views. Many of the small hills we have walked don't appear to be on any lists but have been equally enjoyable. We decided we would finally like to complete our first munro, we attempted Mayor in August but it go too hot and we had the dog with us so we decided just to enjoy Corrie Fee. Many people have recommended Ben Chonzie, perhaps this would have been a more straightforward walk but in the end we decided upon Meall Buidhe as it didn't sound too difficult or too long. The drive from the Ben Lawers nature trail is long and narrow but a beautiful drive (as a passenger!) The weather forecast was looking good so we set off on Friday.

I don't know if we turned up to the right too soon but it wasn't too steep from then it got a bit iffy, the very faint path kept disappearing, luckily there had been a bit of a frost which made the ground a little firmer although we both had our feet sink at some point! We knew where we were heading so battled on in the glorious sunshine and gentle breeze. It didn't take us too long to reach the ridge in which the view opened up, amazing views all round. As we started to walk along the ridge the wind was starting to pick up and it clouded over a bit although we could still see spells of sunshine in the distance. The walk to the summit is nice and easy but by the time we reached the cairn there was a freezing wind, as we stopped for some photos my dog started shivering badly even with her jumper on so I told my sister to start walking back with her and wait on my where the wind isn't as strong. Sadly this meant no photo of us on top our first munro but I rushed some photos of the views from the top. It was funny to see the little hill Meall Mor which I walked in April, it looked tiny from up here! To walk back was a little tricky as again the path kept disappearing but eventually we reached the bottom! Here is some photos from our adventure! Next munro....? I think Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock looks a nice easy option!

Gaining height

Penny at almost 9years and 5 month completing her first munro!

Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: A windy summit for our first munro

Postby Steve B » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Well done on your first Munro. :clap: A good hill too with a nice drive to it and good views from the top.
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby Fudgie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 pm

The obsession begins :lol:

Well done :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby karen1979 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm

well done, Ben chonzie isn't all that popular but it is still a gd walk. Quite a bit of a bouldery path but gets better on the way up. Ul enjoy :)
karen1979
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Congratulations, Sarah, Sister and Penny in achieving your first munro :clap: , some lovely views caught on camera. Enjoy many more days on the Scottish Hills :D Hope the weather is kind to you.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby McLEOD » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Well done all :clap:

this is my Penny, also nine years :D :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone, it is a great feeling knowing that I have finally bagged one lol We will continue to enjoy our walks no matter what size. I have read a few comments about people stating Ben Chonzie is boring and not a favourite but I am just looking for hills that aren't too intense for when we have Penny with us and for me lol need the easy munros first!

McLeod what a beautiful Penny you have too, gorgeous brindle colour :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 am

Well done on your first - no stopping you now :clap: Looked a good day for it with some good views and colours in your photos - that path does tend to disappear and reappear especially in the boggy sections - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Paula Hubens » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm

Congratulations on your first munro! The colours in your pictures are stunning! Particularly like the last picture of your dog. :D
Paula Hubens

Postby soapy27 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Well done on your first munro.Great photos :clap: what kind of camera do you use?
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Sarah86 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks for the lovely comments :-) It does good saying I have finally reached the top of a munro (even if it was an easier one!) Thanks to this site I keep finding other walks that look easy(ish) to get us started. I was always put off by the word munro thinking it automatically meant extremely difficult.

Thanks Soapy, I have an older Nikon D40 with a 18-55 lens and a 55-200 lens. I also use a polarising filter when the sun is out :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland