walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick stride around the Glen Striddle Horseshoe

A quick stride around the Glen Striddle Horseshoe

Postby gordon l » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 28/10/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 725m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1150364.JPG

I don’t do enough hills that don’t appear on my Munro Map. Most times when I think about going for a walk, my mind focuses on bagging the big ones and the red-to-blue dot colouring that comes later. Of course, the main objective is to have a good day out but if I can improve my % of Munros climbed then all the better. Mind you, my attitude towards this has softened quite a bit recently and actually my best days on the hills this year have been on peaks below Corbett status: Sunday’s wee jaunt around the Glen Striddle Horseshoe has confirmed for me that size doesn’t matter.

For me the Luss area has been more significant for family weddings and christenings than for hillwalking. It has been an area to drive through as quickly as possible on the way to frying bigger fish past Crianlarich, Glencoe or further up the North-Western side. However on a recent visit to the church in the village I was attracted to the quotation on one of the stained glass windows, “I to the hills will lift mine eyes”. Walking out of the church and looking back South, the hills that I lifted my eyes to were those of the Glen Striddle Horse Shoe.
P1150354.JPG

The route description refers to starting in Luss village but better to drive 100 yards up the road for Glen Luss where there is space for at least 7 cars opposite a fence gate.
It's a pleasant and straightforward walk on a faint path throughout, though occasionally boggy.
P1150349.JPG
Walking higher up the path into the woods look back and Luss becomes a slate-roofed Toy Town.
P1150358.JPG
looking back to Luss

P1150353.JPG

Higher up, Ben Lomond looms into focus with the Ptarmigan Ridge looking particularly appealing, silhouetted against the sky.
P1150367.JPG
one for a winter's day
P1150362.JPG

Leonide and I strode on, soaking up the views of a snow-capped Ben More to the north.
P1150383.JPG
P1150396.JPG
Also enjoyed the unusual view of the Cobbler from this side looking Alpine-peakish.
P1150386.JPG
the top of beinn dubh (not our dog)
P1150391.JPG
The wind was picking up as we headed off round the horseshoe so we picked up our pace a little to try to beat the ominous looking clouds that were beginning to gather
P1150388.JPG
rare rear view of the Arrochar Alps
P1150407.JPG
a view over to Doune Hill?
P1150405.JPG
preparing to battle the clag

P1150408.JPG
looking from Mid Hill back over to Beinn Dubh
The descent from Mid Hill was relatively steep but no difficulty.Would be excellent bum-sliding terrain in Winter methinks.
P1150412.JPG
Glen Striddle, last colours of Autumn
P1150415.JPG
After passing the farm we enjoyed the walk on tarmac back to the car, oak trees still offering shelter from the rain shower that eventually started to descend.
P1150422.JPG
o'er the bridge and home we go

On the way home we made a few attempts to stop and enjoy a traditional post-walk pint. Venue one (on the bonnie banks) had a wedding on and was totally booked out and venue two (putting the Inn into incompetent) had the densest and rudest barmaid I’ve met so we about-turned and exited. A nice contrast was venue three where a refreshing pint and a huge cheeseburger were promptly and hospitably served with a big smile. Hmm, maybe size does matter after all.
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Re: A quick stride around the Glen Striddle Horseshoe

Postby Sidewinder » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 am

Superb Gogs :clap: a great wee read that, had me on the edge of ma seat!
Sidewinder
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Quite the poser I see :lol: One stance in particluar reminded me of a computer game from many years ago :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dooterbang » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 pm

"size doesn't matter" :lol:

Nice read Gordon and great to see that your mentality is changing about TGO, it most certainly isn't about bagging Munros every weekend.

Like you some of my best days have been doing other walks, Stac Polly is still my best to date...along with Grunaird Bay (you should take Leo up there).
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby gordon l » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Sidewinder wrote:Superb Gogs :clap: a great wee read that, had me on the edge of ma seat!

Cheers Gogs :D
Fudgie wrote:Quite the poser I see :lol: One stance in particluar reminded me of a computer game from many years ago :lol:

Which game Fudgie?
dooterbang wrote:"size doesn't matter" :lol:

Nice read Gordon and great to see that your mentality is changing about TGO, it most certainly isn't about bagging Munros every weekend.

Like you some of my best days have been doing other walks, Stac Polly is still my best to date...along with Grunaird Bay (you should take Leo up there).

Grunaird Bay is on the list for sure, Paul. Your pics definitely whetted the appetite for next year :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland