walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Did I really mean to go that way?

Did I really mean to go that way?

Postby Aliceb69 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 28/10/2012

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 8.7 km

Ascent: 525m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Well this was not the walk I planned on taking. I was planning on the nice and gentle Ryvoan and Lochan Uaine circuit, but when I got to the junction the dogs - all three of them - went up the Meall a' Bhuachaille path. They seemed determined to go that way so what could I do but follow. I have to say that with the autumn here the trees were beautiful and the path was easy so I continued.

SAM_0901.JPG
Path up through the trees.

I'm glad the dogs decided to go this way as the forest had some spectacular things to look at.

SAM_0905.JPG
Gnarly tree.

SAM_0909.JPG
A wee burn trickling away next to the path.

When I got my first view of where I was going I was asking the dogs, "Are you sure you want to go this way?" But of course they did!! I figured if a 5 month old puppy could do it I could too. The path was well maintained and easy to walk and even the wind didn't put me off!

SAM_0910.JPG
First glimpse of Meall a' Bhuachaille.

I stopped along the path to have some breakfast and admired the view of the Cairngorms while I ate.

SAM_0911.JPG
Cairngorms blending into the clouds.

SAM_0912.JPG
Not sure what mountain this is...but it's pretty.

As I continued to climb we came across some cyclists - or rather they came across us and were a bit surprised to be greeted by three labradors, but they took it in their stride and soon were on their way again with the puppy wishing she could follow.

SAM_0918.JPG
The summit is getting closer, but Bhreagha, the puppy, has eyes only for the cyclists.

I couldn't believe it when the summit came into view and just in time for the rain to start. Luckily the rain didn't come to anything and we got some good views for about 3 minutes before the weather closed in around us.

SAM_0919.JPG
The summit. Hurray!!!

SAM_0925.JPG
View complete with the weather front moving in.

SAM_0920.JPG
A nice place to hide out of the incoming weather.

Once out of the wind I had the rest of my breakfast while the weather closed in and made the place very peaceful...well almost peaceful.

SAM_0940.JPG
What are you eating? Can we have some?

After a nice rest the walk down was far more exciting for the dogs as they found 4 grouse and a pheasant. This is what I get for having working dogs. :crazy: The descent down the other side was a lot steeper than the ascent, but the views were just as beautiful.

SAM_0947.JPG
Lochan Uaine

Once past the bothy, where there was a random thermos taking pride of place inside, I soon found myself at Lochan Uaine.

SAM_0955.JPG
Lochan Uaine up close and personal.

The views were stunning on the walk back with the mixture of woodlands.

SAM_0957.JPG
Beautiful colours in the trees.

All in all a great day out - especially for the dogs.
Aliceb69
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Did I really mean to go that way?

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Great report there, that gnarly tree looks like something from a horror movie. I bet it comes to life and grabs unsuspecting walkers under a full moon! lol :lol:
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby trekker53 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 pm

A fine walk in a beautiful area. Those labs look so appealing.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Aliceb69 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:58 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Great report there, that gnarly tree looks like something from a horror movie. I bet it comes to life and grabs unsuspecting walkers under a full moon! lol :lol:

Thanks! I wouldn't be surprised as it was just around a corner as well. Ready to snatch the unsuspecting. :lol:

trekker53 wrote:A fine walk in a beautiful area. Those labs look so appealing.

I would have to agree that it is a beautiful area. I'm going to have to go back and do some more in this area. As for the labs they're known at home as "the kitchen vultures". lol
Aliceb69
Mountaineer

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Everytime I come on here I keep finding new walks I would like to do. This looks a great one with fantastic views, your labs are lovely too!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Aliceb69 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Everytime I come on here I keep finding new walks I would like to do. This looks a great one with fantastic views, your labs are lovely too!

Oh it was a fantastic walk. The trails were all in really good nick and quite easy to walk. It's worth going here!
Aliceb69
Mountaineer

Postby karen1979 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:26 pm

lovely pooches u have :)
karen1979
Mountaineer

Munros:4   
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Aliceb69 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:14 am

karen1979 wrote:lovely pooches u have :)

Thank you Karen. They can be a handful, but they are fun to be with.
Aliceb69
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 am

Did you notice the lintel stone dated 1781 over the burn behind the bothy? I believe that building at Ryvoan used to be a Drovers' Inn for those men taking cattle from the highlands to the southern cattle trysts, there was great demand for highland cattle for beef and leather during the Napoleonic Wars.
Ryvoan March 08 029.JPG
Ryvoan lintel stone dated 1781
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Aliceb69 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:36 pm

Caberfeidh, I didn't notice the date stone. I'll have to go back and have another look! It's an interesting bit of history. Thanks.
Aliceb69
Mountaineer

Postby McLEOD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Enjoyable wee report, cheers :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland