walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snow on Ben Chonzie

Snow on Ben Chonzie

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:07 am

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 31/10/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 739m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A midweek jaunt up a Perthshire Hill :) , one that I did over twenty one years ago, Ben Chonzie, the hill of the hare. To access the hill you take the road travelling from Comrie village up Glen Lednock towards the Loch Lednock Reservoir and what a road it is just now, at the start you cannot see any tarmac, it's just a carpet of golden brown fallen leaves, and the autumnal colours are awesome. The starting point is approximately 5k from Comrie, at Invergeldie where there is a small marked car park.
1.JPG
Starting point, small car park
2.JPG
After going up the track from the car park you pass in front of a small cottage on the right and head for an aluminium gate
3.JPG
A good track passes at the side of the dwelling and heads off up the hillside
4.JPG
The weather is still holding up and we pass some nice autumnal colours on the trees
5.JPG
On the right of the track you pass some sheep pens with stone wall enclosures
6.JPG
You soon come to the first crossing of the Invergeldie Burn, by a bridge which has rotten section in it, followed by another gate
7.JPG
Looking back the way we have come at more autumnal colours
8.JPG
Bridge crossing with rotten section identified
9.JPG
Trees at the burn crossing
10.JPG
I wonder what sign was on this stone? near the track. Weather still holding up and surprisingly warm at this stage
11.JPG
Just for the sake of dog owners as and when necessary, I guess
12.JPG
Approaching the next crossing of the Invergeldie Burn where there is a dam
13.JPG
The track leaving the dam heading East, It's still dry with hardly any wind about, maybe we are going to be ok today
14.JPG
Guess I spoke too soon, the clag is a coming
15.JPG
The track now has become a whole lot rougher and the rain has started
16.JPG
The path off the track to gain the summit is at 714m where a wee cairn is placed on the left of the track
17.JPG
Yes, this is what we have been waiting for a bit of the white stuff
18.JPG
The path soon flattens out and you find the fence posts on your right and follow them to the Summit cairn
19.JPG
Ben Chonzie summit cairn
20.JPG
Return the same way following the fence posts on your left and head South until you find the track
21.JPG
By now the track has turned into a wee burn. A fine leg stretch but no views at the top what so ever.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Snow on Ben Chonzie

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:52 am

Aah, snow, snow, snow! :D :D :D Just a shame you got no views, but great to see winter arrive so early on the hills.
Can't wait to do the first snowy mountain this year!
We were in Assynt yesterday, didn't climb anything but lurked in some caves :wink: Conival and BMA had a nice white sprinkle over the tops and An Teallach was quite white as well - now if we could have some sunshine and a couple of free days :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby monty » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Nice detailed report Rodmeister. Love the autumn colors and the snow on top. Shame about the summit views but looks nice otherwise :D
monty

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Thank's for that Monty :D , my first report I have managed to get the photographs in order :D The snow was added bonus on top for sure, I only wish I had taken a photograph of the road up from Comrie as it was a delight, with the autumnal colours both sides and also on the road itself. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Must redo Chonzie from that side sometime soon.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:15 pm

This hill gets a bad name as being boring but get some of the white stuff on it and it can be quite exciting 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Your right Fudgie, a wee bit of snow makes all the difference, a bit of variety. By the way I only saw one hare :o , and no sign of it changing to white either :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks for such a detailed report, this is on my to do list but think I will leave it to next year as not experienced in walking in the snow or poorer weather. Great pictures in the snow though!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Thank's Sarah :D , Ben Chonzie was my 21st munro, and I had not been on it for 21yrs, as you can see there is a good track up and beyond the 714m where you go right at the path shown. Not a bad wee path up to the summit area where if the visibility is good you will see a line of fence posts, follow the posts which have a right angled kink towards the summit cairn. There is nothing steep at all so as long you are happy with the visibility give it a go, good luck :) . By the way on the way down a lot of the snow on the path to the track had dissapeared already.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby peter tindal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:45 am

Hi, thanks for the report, heading up thier on 29th Nov, but with 14 students on tow :crazy: for a wee charity hill walk for Help 4 Heroes. It will be good to show them the pics as they have already done the route card from that startpoint. Picture paints a thousand words. :clap:

Pete
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Pete, glad to be of some help :) . Good luck with your charity climb :clap: , hope you have a lot of sponsorship for a tremendous cause :clap: . I see your from Forfar nae that far from Carnoustie. If I'm not doing anything on the 29th November, I might just tag along if I may, and bring my niece, fingers crossed she will make it this time as because of a chest infection had to pack up just shortly after hitting the path, so she saw none of the snow on top. Might see you there with some sponsor money :D .
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby peter tindal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi, you would be more than welcome. I work in Fife at the college so we would be making our way there in a mini bus. We would be aiming to start by 1030. The mini bus will have "Adam Smith College" all over it.

Pete
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:47 pm

Thank's for that Pete, if I make it there should be a light blue VW Golf in the car park, much will depend if my niece can get a day off, I have no problems. Retired :D , might see you there :D , Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm

I see last year there were 28 TRs on Ben Chonzie, this year already there are 27, just goes to show it's still a very popular hill, although not having the character of many others.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby gymman47 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Very impressive report Rod and plenty good pictures too. :D

JP
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland