walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Mountain Boots

Mountain Boots

Postby Highlander » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi all,

My Brasher Supalite GTX boots have now just about had it. I want to upgrade to some new B1/B2 hillwalking/mountain boots. Can anyone recommend a boot that doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Re: Mountain Boots

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi there. I've worn Scarpa for years - currently SLs; I used to wear Mantas but I think they made them much stiffer a few years back. These do for year round use; not cheap though unless you can buy last years model in a sale.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Rekrab » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:36 pm

i just went out and bought a new pair of brasher telicas £90 and they are stiff enough for g10's i had them on thier first outing on ben more and stob binien i walked throught the glen then popped up between the two munro's it was very wet and i was ankle deep most of the day i made a right and did stob first then down to more and down the other side back to the road and as i came off the summit of more in the snow they leaked. i had a 1000m decent in wet cold feet. i was back at tiso the next day returning the sodden smelly brashers, i got my 90£ back after complaining to the head office and i spent the extra money and got a new pair of scarpa manta's and i've tried to get these wet standing in the bath and they're not leaking i've bivi'd in glen cronnish two weeks ago and left them out in the rain put them on in the morning and had dry feet all day. i don't understand these things are like tanks. best purchase ever by far.

160£

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Rodds1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:39 am

I did have a pair of Berghaus Explorer boots but they were completely rubbish so I replaced them with Meindl (Burma Pro GTX) and they are outstanding so far. I had been advised to buy Scarpa's but these were a better fit as I have slightly wider feet. My best buy without a doubt!

http://www.tiso.com/shop/meindl/burma_pro_gtx/
Rodds1

Munros:6   

Postby maddjock » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:42 am

I can highly recommend Meindl Burma Pros.. extremely comfortable straight out of the box and only gets better with time with the MFS (memory foam system which moulds itself to the shape of your ankles). supportive enough with out being too rigid. Gore-tex lined, excellent breathability and weatherproof. Price at £140 I thought was very reasonable. Would definately buy again.
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby maddjock » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:45 am

haha.. great minds and all that..
funnily enough, I wasnt too happy with my previous boots either- berghaus explorers -
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby Rodds1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:51 am

I had read that the Berghaus Explorer was the UK's most popular boot - surely there must be a reason for this popularity so I gave them a go and they were rubbish - 2 walks then ditched - absolute crap to put it mildly
Rodds1

Postby GarryH » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Have a look at Ecco Sayan GTX`s,they have soft yak oil nubuck uppers,vibram soles@ Gore-Tex water proofing.
No walking in required an excellent boot at £135.Let us know what you get!
GarryH

Postby BVCSK » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 pm

I bought a pair of Brasher Iowa GTX boots just under a year ago and can thoroughly reccomend them. They have a goretex liner that ensures dry feet, I waded through Great Langdale Beck in them in September with no ill effect. I have used them extensively this year in hot, wet and dry conditions and am just back from 5 days in snowy Keswick where again they performed brilliantly. They needed no breaking in just lace up and go. Relatively light weight but strong enough to support a flexi crampon. I got these for £90 and firmly believe that it was money well spent. Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know what you opt for.
Cheers
Bruce
BVCSK

Munros:37   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:5   

Postby Highlander » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:07 pm

Thanks guys, thats given me some good advice and ideas of where to start.
Mark
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Postby Matthew C » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi,
Just thought I'd add my thoughts, I started with a pair of Kerrimor 3 season boots, they died after 9 months of not very hard work (I'm still alive?) on my brothers advice I got a pair of Scarpa Manta's. Ok they are a bit heavier, but like others have said they are built like tanks, as water proof as sub's and the best buy I've made to-date, & I cann't wait to try them with the G10's.
Matthew C
Mountain Walker

Munros:177   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Rekrab » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:26 pm

i've used them with g10's on ben lui central gully, they eat the snow. they love it
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

Postby Rodds1 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Just a quick one regarding Meindl Burma Pros - wore them in very deep snow (without gaitors D'oh) and not a drop of water got near my feet. Absolutely cracking boots!
Rodds1

Postby Highlander » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi all!

Got the new boots! :D

Picked up a pair of Meindl Burma Pro's in the end from Ellis Brigham, Braehead, Glasgow for £154.

Just christened them for a walk around Devilla Forest and I have to say that I am very pleased with my purchase. Very comfortable and rigid enough to take crampons if needed.

I tried a pair of the old style Scarpa Manta up at Tiso at Blackford but found that there was a lot of movement around the heel area so left these. Bargain though, reduced from £160 to around £99 with the new GSBs now in! Then tried a pair of Asolo Peak GTXs on, better fit although a little more expensive at £170.

I hope you have had a great Christmas and I'd like to wish you all the best for the new year!

Bye for now.
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Postby maddjock » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:36 pm

great choice with the boots........
another wee story about mine..

I was sitting in my car on the top floor of the multi-storey car park in Inverness just before christmas. I just came off the phone and as I looked up, noticed a young couple get into their car and drive off, but leaving a pair of gloves on the roof of their car. I hurriedly ran across to tell them, and just as they headed down the ramp to the next level, what I intended as a gentle tap on their window turned into a bit of a clatter, as 3 steps from the car I slid on a large patch of ice straight into the side of them.
What a shock the couple must have got, as not only had they had someone slam into the side of their car with some force, but as the man wound down his window, he was confronted with me yelling.....aaarrrggghhh.... you're on my foot. Yes, my foot had slid under his car and he had stopped right on top of it. Add to this, the young couple were tourists and did not speak much english. After what seemed an age, though in reality probably only 45 seconds, in which time, he had pulled the handbrake on, took his seatbelt off, practically got out of the car, with his partner talking to him in one ear and me pleading in the other to please just move forward, move forward, accompanied by my waving arms.. it dawned on him what had happened... finally the car moves forward and off my foot.... ahhh relief...
I pick his gloves off the roof of his car and hand them to him, telling him - you forgot your gloves mate... he looks at me and says uhh.. thankyou. I say no problem and hobble away.
If it wasnt for these boots, I think I would have had pretty severe bruising. As it was I walked off the pain as I went to meet up with my mate. Not a mark on my foot, nor bruise, just a tyre mark left across the top of the boot

:lol:
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk