walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 days in Caingorms part 1 wild camp

5 days in Caingorms part 1 wild camp

Postby rjpatyou » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn Toul, Càrn a' Mhàim, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 29/10/2012

Time taken: 54 hours

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 2341m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After looking at the weather getting colder and looking like snow, what else would I do with a week off work ,I would like to say I just jumped in the car and went for it .But it took two days planning and I was still rushing around before I set off. It was a drive up to Kinross from Yorkshire and a stop in travel lodge £19 cheap room. Up early to drive up to Linn of dee I planned a steady walk up to bothy with a full pack as I was to camp , then walk in the morning
It was a pleasant walk a little damp but no rain I have seen other reports on this route and was looking forward to that first view of the mountains they didn’t disappoint they were all snow caped and looked more intimidating than normal :shock:
Derry Lodge to Corrour 8.JPG
Looking down Glen Geusachan

After getting to the bothy it was time to find a dry spot I wanted to test my gear out which was good news for the three lads that came in the dark and put their heads down in the bothy . :wink:
Bothy tent spot.JPG
Last spot

close to Devil's Point 2.JPG
looking at Ben Macdui

Morning came the night was fine cold but the gear I had Done its job. Once I got my boots on still damp as they would be for 4 days it was up to Devil’s point leaving my tent etc set up for the night’s sleep
My pack was light and I soon started climbing up. The cloud was coming over, today was the best day on the report when I left. but as you all know this is Scotland. I soon got to the Devil’s point no wind and not to cold but I think it was protected by the glens the other three lads came up as I was heading across to Cairn Toul they would pass me soon ,young legs must be great . :oops:
Devil'e walk summit 2.JPG
look back from Devil's point

Devil'e walk summit 1.JPG
me at top Devil's point

It was then the weather just got windy snow and colder as I got higher with snow and boulders it was tricky so it was head down glancing at the map and gps the pictures say it all
Cairn Toul.JPG
summits

Sgor an Lochain Uaine 2.JPG
summits

After dropping off Sgor an Lochain Uaine I walk the by pass round to drop to the bothy .it was a pleasant site after some hard walking in very poor conditions but I was pleased with 3 Munros as palnned .If the weather was better I mite have gone for 4 as the 3 lads did .i got down to bothy and made some nice hot food well noodles :D the lads came in and hour half later we all sat round chatting was good company they talked me into picking up Carn a ‘Mhaim on the way back to Linn Dee :clap:

The night was wicked strong winds rain the tent was trying its best to be a kite but it stayed up all night as I did. sleeping on and off. But morning came and the rain stopped a quick porridge and break down the tent. I was off hoping to get to Braemar and get some digs for 2 nights hot shower etc. but I had to get up and down Carn’Mhaim first I came across another walker who said the weather was getting better and pointed out there’s a path up Carn a Mhaim. Not far down the track just the ones I like straight up, I dropped off my sack up I went, it was easy enough climb but the top was cold windy with snow falling not as bad as day before but this was my 10th Munro wooop . Some food then off back down it was head down off I went one last look back
Carn a'Mhaim7.JPG
looking back at Carn Mhaim

I got back to car 4pm just gave me time to ring home go get digs shower fish chips mmm then a pint I was hoping for steady day tomorrow as I planed to walk near glenshee but thats another report
Second Munro’s trip, first report hope its ok :)
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Re: 5 days in Caingorms part 1 wild camp

Postby mrssanta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:01 pm

well done, looks like winter has arrived all of a sudden.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Lenore » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Nice one! How do you manage to keep warm camping out in the cold? What kind of sleeping bag do you have?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rjpatyou » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Lenore wrote:Nice one! How do you manage to keep warm camping out in the cold? What kind of sleeping bag do you have?

the trip was good test for skills and gear i use a Vango Ultralite 400 its not exstream temp but i could always layer up but a Thermal mats a must i took advice from the forum :)
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland