walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kintail trip 2,still no learning the lessons!

Kintail trip 2,still no learning the lessons!

Postby pigeon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sàileag, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 02/11/2012

Time taken: 14.75 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2542m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in May,a motley gang of us visited Kintail for the first time,kipping at the Ratagan hostel and walking the five sisters then the South Shiel ridge the next day.Our preparation for these hikes was probably no the best,sitting in the hostel or the pub scooping large amounts of beer,whisky,vodka,rum and whatever else we could get our mitts on made for serious hangovers on the hikes ,not good at all :( Now it was time for our return ,this time staying in the trekkers lodge at the Kintail Lodge hotel,would we have learned our lesson and stay of the booze this time?.............well naw :roll: After a drive up on Thursday night and a qiuet-ish night in the digs,myself,Charlie,Kev and Chris set of early to tackle the brothers ridge and possibly tag on Ciste Dubh at the end.Starting at the Saileag end with a car dumped at Cluanie we started the steep climb up to the Bealach an Lapain.Steeeeeeeep as anythin' this climb,but we pressed on and were up at the Bealach in good time,brief views over to the Saddle and the south shiel ridge were had but much of the day was spent in the cloud but we still really enjoyed this walk,some narrow bits on the ridge we had to take extra care on what with the snaw and that but still soft enough not to need crampons for the day at least.
kintail weekend 2 013.JPG
Friday's start..........steep!
kintail weekend 2 020.JPG
one of the south Shiel peaks peeks out,Maol Chinn Dearg i think
kintail weekend 2 028.JPG
Bealach na Lapain
kintail weekend 2 034.JPG
Pigeon,Chris and Charlie on Saileag
kintail weekend 2 044.JPG
ridge to Sgurr a Bhealaich Dearg
kintail weekend 2 048.JPG
kintail weekend 2 053.JPG
taking a bit of care on this bit
kintail weekend 2 055.JPG
kintail weekend 2 060.JPG
Kev and Chaz on S B D
kintail weekend 2 075.JPG
kintail weekend 2 080.JPG
Soggy summit pic on Aonach Meadhoin
The clouds broke briefly now and again letting us get some good pics and views.A brief ponder on Sgurr an Fhuarail on whether to go on to Ciste Dubh or head down to the Cluanie inn for a beer and burger chips was had(guess what won that contest :lol: )and we were down in about 6 and 3 quarter hours.
kintail weekend 2 090.JPG
kintail weekend 2 094.JPG
kintail weekend 2 110.JPG
down Loch Cluanie
Back to the hotel then where it started to get a bit messy.Gavin and Ian joined us at night in the hotel bar where there was a halloween party on .Fast forward to Saturday morning and most of us were feeling severly under the weather.Today's walk was Carn Ghluasaid,an easy enough start to this one normally but i was struggling big time,lagging behind the rest of the gang,felt a bit better though when i caught up with Gavin who looked even worse than me :lol: Lesson not learned yet again :crazy: :roll: Still no point moaning about it so onwards and upwards to work the hangover away.Gradually started to feel better as the day wore on,a good walk this,quite tough in the snow again and had to don the crampons once or twice.
kintail weekend 2 114.JPG
Saturday,on the path to Carn Ghluasaid
kintail weekend 2 126.JPG
jake
kintail weekend 2 133.JPG
braw
kintail weekend 2 135.JPG
bit of a whiteout on Sgurr nan Conbhairean
kintail weekend 2 140.JPG
Gavin and Chris on Sail Chaorainn
kintail weekend 2 146.JPG
kintail weekend 2 149.JPG
more brawness
Weather a bit better than yesterday especially toward the end when the views down to Nevis etc. really opened up.
kintail weekend 2 150.JPG
more whiteout
kintail weekend 2 155.JPG
heading down toward the ridge above the Gorm Lochan
kintail weekend 2 177.JPG
Charlie
8 hours all in ,no bad considering how we felt at the start and we all headed back to the hotel for more of the same(except one of us who might never actually drink again :lol: )A great weekend again,Chris done really good on his first winter hikes and Kev got round another 6 Munro's no problem :lol: Trekkers lodge was good as well :thumbup: We shall return :D
Attachments
kintail weekend 2 130.JPG
team pic on Carn Ghluasaid
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Kintail trip 2,still no learning the lessons!

Postby mrssanta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:26 pm

brilliant Pigeon, bit of everything there. Can't wait to get up to Kintail. But sadly, will have to!! :roll:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Great stuff pigeon - at first my mind was boggling a bit at how you'd join these hills up in the dark with over 14hrs until I realised you were up for 2 days :roll: That initial climb to the Bealach an Lapain certainly looks steep - and it all looks so different to just a month or so ago. Had hoped to get to the Cluanie 5 this year but other things got in the way - hopefully next year. All in all - looks a good trip despite the weather and at least you did get some views - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 pm

haha the hangovers eh .. i m the same have great difficulty learning my lessons :D

Good report and pics :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby soapy27 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 am

Great report and amazing photos Pigeon looks pretty hairy along that ridge :shock:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Fudgie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 am

That looks like great fun and that ridge looks like a fun experience :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby quoman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 am

Nice one pigeon and the gang.. that looks a hellufa walk up at the start :roll: the walk along the ridge is a cracking picture well done.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby basscadet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh the mystery bug strikes again :lol:

Glad to see it didnie spoil your weekend though.. looked awsome :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby PeteR » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Nice one pigeon. Some good photos there, even though the clag was about on the tops at times.

These are two good rounds and I'm jealous you did them in the snow. I'll have to return to them again - maybe ones for later this winter :D

Not sure I would want to be heading out with a hangover though :shock: Makes your efforts all the more impressive though :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:10 pm

mrssanta wrote:brilliant Pigeon, bit of everything there. Can't wait to get up to Kintail. But sadly, will have to!! :roll:
Thanks mrssanta,it's great up there,spoilt for choice,which ones will you do first :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:20 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great stuff pigeon - at first my mind was boggling a bit at how you'd join these hills up in the dark with over 14hrs until I realised you were up for 2 days :roll: That initial climb to the Bealach an Lapain certainly looks steep - and it all looks so different to just a month or so ago. Had hoped to get to the Cluanie 5 this year but other things got in the way - hopefully next year. All in all - looks a good trip despite the weather and at least you did get some views - cheers :)
That would have been a big hike RH :lol: Missed Ciste Dubh this time so will try again in the sping or summer,might try and tie it in with A'chralaig and Mullach Fraoch choire :wink:
Collaciotach wrote:haha the hangovers eh .. i m the same have great difficulty learning my lessons :D

Good report and pics :clap:
It's good at the time Collaciotach :D
soapy27 wrote:Great report and amazing photos Pigeon looks pretty hairy along that ridge :shock:
Fudgie wrote:That looks like great fun and that ridge looks like a fun experience :lol:
Cheers soapy,Fudgie,had to be careful but yep,great fun likes 8)
quoman wrote:Nice one pigeon and the gang.. that looks a hellufa walk up at the start :roll: the walk along the ridge is a cracking picture well done.
Cheers quoman,it's steep but after about an hour of pain it's not so bad :lol:
basscadet wrote:Oh the mystery bug strikes again :lol:

Glad to see it didnie spoil your weekend though.. looked awsome :D
Seem to get the mystery bug a lot this time o year BC :lol:
PeteR wrote:Nice one pigeon. Some good photos there, even though the clag was about on the tops at times.

These are two good rounds and I'm jealous you did them in the snow. I'll have to return to them again - maybe ones for later this winter :D

Not sure I would want to be heading out with a hangover though :shock: Makes your efforts all the more impressive though :D
Cheers pete,two great trips we've had up here now and plenty of reasons left to go back :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby McLEOD » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Great stuff, can,t wait to get up some wintry hills myself, question though, where did the dog stay ?
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:41 pm

McLEOD wrote:Great stuff, can,t wait to get up some wintry hills myself, question though, where did the dog stay ?
In the trekkers lodge at the Kintail lodge hotel,sleeps six people in 2 twin rooms and two singles,ideal base and cheap too,if you can get six people works out a 15 pounds per night :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:40 pm

Cracking stuff pigeon, great efforts everyone......good to see that Gavin was on for a few pints too! :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby michaelmcp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:02 pm

Enjoyed that, pictures and the report. Sometimes feel that some of my pictures on the hills don't capture the steepness but that first picture certainly does.
And that looks a tasty ridge in the snow and ice !!
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland