walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

There's no place like home!

There's no place like home!

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Route description: River Beauly and Lovat Bridge circuit

Date walked: 22/10/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7.4 km

Ascent: 50m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was home alone on Monday the 22nd, with my second half busy driving... Having finished all my domestic duties, I couldn't resist going out for a short stroll with Kevin's camera - usually on the hills he is the one who plays with the stuff :lol: :lol:
The day was cold but ohh so lovely and I walked the route which I regularly use for jogging. Obviously, carrying the bulky camera with me meant I had to walk rather than run this time, but I didn't mind it at all.
The hills above Beauly may not be the highest peaks to climb, but there is a lot to explore here. The following route is a great low level circuit, just what one needs on their doorstep :D
There's no place like home, I should say... :D :D :D
Route:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My version is slightly longer than the WH description, but even when walking from the village, this circuit shouldn't take longer than 2 hours (my jogging time is 45-50 min). It's on a good tracks/tarmac roads all the time and the river views are lovely.
But before I reached the river, the first mile was walked on the pavement by A862 - not the most scenic route, especially when the traffic is dense, but with some good views to the surrounding fields...
On the northern side, the hills of Beauly:
A glimpse back to the village:
I always liked autumn as the best time for photographing - all the colours of the rainbow...
I stopped for a while to greet the locals...
...but I was also eager to leave the busy road behind and dive into the quiet countryside. The next stop - Lovat Bridge:

I crossed the road just before the bridge and walked on a track past a couple of houses. Now I was on the best part of this circuit, along the River Beauly.
Lovat Bridge from the south:

The river was definitely in spate:
The track follows the river - it's a private road but accessible to walkers:
The river splits and for a short distance I walked through the woods, with the narrow canal to the left:
Soon I was back in the open:
Looking back:
Sometimes when jogging I meet dog walkers on this track, but today I was completely alone, with the blue sky and the quiet autumnal landscape around...
The track continues to a gate, which is chained, but not locked. Sometimes, when I can't be bothered to untangle the chain, I simply climb over it :lol: :lol:
From this spot, one can see the nearest Corbett, Beinn a' Bha'ach Ard:
The track into the forest:
There is even a place for picnic!
...with lovely views towards the river:
The walk continues...
Additional attractions:
This part of the river is also a popular fishing spot, with "pools" created for fish to hang about :wink:
All the colours of the fall...

I continued along the river as long as I could but eventually I came across an obvious obstacle, which I wasn't ready to dive in :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely in spate...
I turned off the river path and picked a forest track:
After a short distance, I emerged from the woods and was greeted by more local tenants:
A great spot for cow watching :lol: :lol:
The walk goes on on a slightly boggy track. A few times before, during my jogging sessions, I had come across cows grazing on the track, but today they were all on the fenced off pasture and no manoeuvring was necessary:
A second gate, I use this one sometimes for stretching exercises :lol: :lol:
One can continue the stroll along the river past this house, but I stayed on my usual route:
A glimpse back:
One last view of the river:
The hills of Beauly in the 50 shades of the fall...
The track is still a bit wet and especially after heavy rain it can be muddy:
Looking east across the fields:
Wild roses in fruit. My dad used to collect them for homemade wine, a long time ago when I was officially too young to drink alcohol... And the wine was yummy :shh:
I turned NE on a tarmac road - the rest of the circuit is on a dry surface:
Photographing pylons may not be the most ambitious task... They spoil the views, all right, but what would we do without electricity?
But sometimes, I must admit, they are an interesting addition to the landscape:
Bird cherries in fruit and some more childhood memories. These little berries aren't particularly tasty when eaten raw (bitter :? ) but when made into high juice they are a fantastic addition to your hot cup of tea... or a pint of beer if you like it with a sweet touch :lol:
Autumnal fields on the way back:
Before returning home I took a short detour to the war memorial:

In about two hours I was back in my kitchen cooking dinner... Sure there's no place like home - and I can highly recommend this walk. :D If you don't want to walk from the village, there is space for a few cars below the war memorial. Now excuse me, time to put my running shoes on! Meow!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: There's no place like home!

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:18 pm

What a cracking walk to have on your doorstep! :D I recognise those fields along the A862, I have stoped there with the car to support my daughter doing the Highland Cross a few times. Some lovely autumnal colours :D , and is it not funny how the old pylons seem to be more acceptable than windfarms.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

This is a favourite dog walk of ours. Lovely autumn colours. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby gyles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Nice report. The Beauly & Muir of Ord area is a nice area for walks.

I only get across there when visiting my girlfriends family as she's a Kirkhill lass. I would love to settle down there maybe in the future.
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks, folks :D :D Not a big mountain adventure but this little walk is well worth a proper TR... A bit of local advertising :lol:

The Rodmiester wrote:What a cracking walk to have on your doorstep! :D I recognise those fields along the A862, I have stoped there with the car to support my daughter doing the Highland Cross a few times. Some lovely autumnal colours :D , and is it not funny how the old pylons seem to be more acceptable than windfarms.

I have always had the same "approving" feeling about pylons, at least the existing ones, they seem to blend into the landscape more easily than windfarms. And do they have a great impact on the environment? I don't think so. The alternative would be to bury the cables in the ground - well that would be a mess!

dogplodder wrote:This is a favourite dog walk of ours. Lovely autumn colours. :D

It's possible we might have passed each other at some point (or maybe will in the future :D ) I see quite a few people with dogs on this route. Do you remember noticing a puffing-huffing blonde on the run? :lol: :lol:

gyles wrote:Nice report. The Beauly & Muir of Ord area is a nice area for walks.
I only get across there when visiting my girlfriends family as she's a Kirkhill lass. I would love to settle down there maybe in the future.

I moved to Beauly from Inverness when I met my now husband, it was like running away from the busy, noisy city into the tranquil, quiet spot, a perfect place to live :D :D And the surrounding area is full of walks to explore, the northern hills I mentioned, Loch nam Bonnach and plenty of forests to look for mushrooms :wink: Really a good place to settle down. The village is growing, new apartments are now built on the western side. All you need is a car to drive to work.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm

After all the photos on here I'm sure I would recognise you - even on the run! :lol: We did the river walk more often when living at Kinmylies but now we've moved to the Culloden side of Inverness it's a bit further away. Must get back to it. The Beauly deli is always good for apres walk calorie intake! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Another lovely local BP, and what a great running circuit :D Those elderberries make fantastic bait for coarse fishing during autumn...roach absolutely love em :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruno » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Another cracker, BP!
Really enjoy your reports - great pics and a spotlight on a part of the country I`ve neglected . Beautiful area.
Bruno
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland