walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Dreich Day For Ben Chonzie

A Dreich Day For Ben Chonzie

Postby gymman47 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 10/11/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Ascent: 931m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I arrived at Invergeldie at around 0925 and set off at 0935. The weather was a bit dreich so made sure I had waterproofs on. I followed directions on Walkhighlands which were as usual excellent. I soon reached the small dam and then the path started to get steeper. After a good steady pace It wasn't too long before I reached the small cairn on my left where I followed the path down and over the burn. This was I guess the start of the hill and off the landrover track. It was reasonably steep climb at start and quite boggy. After anoth 10 minutes I reached the fenceposts and followed them up the hill. It wasn't long before rain became sleety snow and it really was bitterly cold. There were plenty of cairns on my left and eventually I reached the shelter at the summit. It was just as well the shelter was there so I could get a wee break from the wind as it seemed like it was blowing a gale. I spotted a white hare on way down. :D
I never came accross any other walkers til on way back down and met my first two walkers with their dog once I reached the landrover track again. I bumped into two other groups on my way down and was happy to get back to Invergeldie and start the 110 mile journey home for a nice hot bath and some good food. All in all it wasn't a hard day at Ben Chonzie and took only 3 and a half hours in total.
Attachments
Ben Chonzian 011.jpg
At the summit.
Ben Chonzian 005.jpg
Fog further up the hill.
Ben Chonzian 002.jpg
Approaching the small dam.
Ben Chonzian 001.jpg
Car Park at Invergeldi and the cottages ahead.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: A Dreich Day For Ben Chonzie

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:33 pm

gymman, I guess you had a wetter and windier day that I did :( , and it would appear within the last two weeks the hares change from normal to white, interesting fact! :) I also had the snow on top which improves the hill. Not the best days for the camera though :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gymman47 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks for your reply Rodmeister. I did take picture of hare but its too foggy to make out. I see you've done all the munros so I'm a mere novice in comparison and well done to you for such a feat.

John Paul :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Postby McLEOD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Aye a long drive for dreichness, well done :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks for that John Paul :D , me along with about 5000 others, but still enjoy the hills, having done them doesn't mean you stop, you just go out and please yourself. I'm presently encouraging my nephews, niece and grandchildren up the hills. Everyday is different, just enjoy them, what wonderful assets we have on our doorsteps, make the most of them no matter the height. Hope you have a wonderful and exciting time exploring the hills and who knows might meet you up one, one of these days. Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gymman47 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:59 pm

McLEOD wrote:Aye a long drive for dreichness, well done :thumbup:

Aye your right there mate and thanks for good comments.

JP :)
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Postby gymman47 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:01 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Thanks for that John Paul :D , me along with about 5000 others, but still enjoy the hills, having done them doesn't mean you stop, you just go out and please yourself. I'm presently encouraging my nephews, niece and grandchildren up the hills. Everyday is different, just enjoy them, what wonderful assets we have on our doorsteps, make the most of them no matter the height. Hope you have a wonderful and exciting time exploring the hills and who knows might meet you up one, one of these days. Rod

Well done Rod and yes maybe we will bump into each other up one of these hills.
Thanks again for your nice comments and keep the good work up :clap:

JP
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland