walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'croin

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'croin

Postby thebaldfalcon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 12/11/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1041m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1740.JPG
route up Stuc
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1727.JPG
half way up
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1722.JPG
Vorlich in distance
Did this pair with my son Nicky November 2012.
Nice clear day. no point adding anything about route, good path to follow all the way up to Vorlich summit.

Quite an easy summit to reach and would be a fine first munro to do.
Nice views to The Lawers range and Ben more hills.
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1722.JPG
Vorlich in distance

descend down to Bealach and you should find a nice sheltered spot behind one of the many large boulders for lunch
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1734.JPG
Stuc and bealach from Vorlich summit

Followed path up to Stuc and stopped about 50m from summit to try and figure a route up, I walked to the left
for about 50m over a large boulder field. Here I saw an easy way up, theres actually a path. It is still steep and
a bit slippy when wet so take care, I wouldn't attempt this peak in the snow.
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1741.JPG
view east

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1745.JPG
summit of Stuc witth Vorlich in background

For descent follow path down to the left and round the peak to a a small cairn, turn right here down a steep
grassy slope and follow the very boggy path round Vorlich and back to main path, a long muddy slog.
Try to keep a couple of meter above the path if you can, its easier .
A good day out, enjoy
Attachments
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'chroin_1732.JPG
summit pic
thebaldfalcon

Munros:102   Corbetts:24
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'croin

Postby Rudolph » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks for that report. You make it sound a lot simpler and easier than I remember but it's nice to see the pictures

thebaldfalcon wrote:Try to keep a couple of meter above the path if you can, its easier.

The eternal 'suffer on the path or erode the untouched bit' debate. I torture myself with this one.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'croin

Postby neilmci » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm

I did this route in the deepest clag and finding a route up the stuc was not very easy at all. The path is good till the boulder filed and then it seemed to disappear into the various options up the scramble bit. Once the clag had lifted a bit on the decent where i was following the deep gorge described above would have been much easier and probably more sensible given that i was on my own.
I would need to go back and look at the "frontal" approach on a clear day to actually gauge how difficult this route actually is. I have a feeling that my direct route may have made a meal of it!
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland