walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Quick Wainwright - Cat Bells

A Quick Wainwright - Cat Bells

Postby garyhortop » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cat Bells

Date walked: 11/11/2012

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 342m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I managed to squeeze this little beauty in on a trip to see the Step-son in Lancaster. We had originally planned to go across into the dales but I was showing my wife the write up on Malham that Border Reiver submitted and there was lots of grumbling under the breath about sucky mud and the fact it had rained all day Saturday...etc.

So to keep the peace a trip to Keswick was organised for the Sunday on the basis that if the weather was good we might get a hill in and if it as bad...there was shops and coffee shops!! I also had to consider my step son's girlfriends mum (if you can follow that!) who was visiting from China and it was her first trip up a hill in the lakes so I had to pick something that was fairly straightforward so Cat Bells it was.

We headed off on a lovely sunny Sunday morning (eventually!) and arrived at Hawse End and eventually found somewhere to park. The walk is really straightforward and about as easy as it gets to follow the route - so we simply followed the main path up onto the saddle and summit Skelgill Bank and then on to the Summit of Cat Bells.

As this was organised at short-notice I didn't have my camera but below is a few shots of the day. I have to say we were extremely lucky with the weather and the summit offered superb views all around and especially across to Blenncathra, Skiddaw, Causey Pike, Robinson and so on (I think we might also have just made out Phoooey and Damson's new coat on the other side of Keswick it was that clear!). It also made me realise just how much I miss the lakes and provided some real "soul food" for me! Just what the doc ordered.

Also....just for Chris W's benefit and his recent report of the female of the species and their inclination towards rummaging in rucksacks for sweeties and choccy...have a close look at the summit picture and what BB, her Mum and Debbie are holding in their hands...like I have said before...a snickers bar works wonders for mountain motivation!

P1020382.JPG
Beano didn't want to go!

P1020389.JPG
On way to Summit - Keswick & Blencathra in Background

P1020410.JPG
Summit of Cat Bells....spot the Snickers!

P1020421.JPG
On the way back down - Skiddaw and Blencathra in distance

P1020423.JPG
Interesting shot of coming down the short scramble from summit

P1020429.JPG
Bing Bing back on Skellgill Bank with panorama of summits behind!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Re: A Quick Wainwright - Cat Bells

Postby SusieThePensioner » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:29 pm

So glad you managed to fit in a walk, Gary, especially Catbells :D I first walked up Catbells in 1960 and miss being able to get up there :( It was lovely to see your photos, thank you.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Lovely wee wander Gary, Beano did well for a reluctant rambler :lol: I'm heading out to find more chocolate which I'm going to dangle from my rucksack to entice Sarah along on a few more hikes :lol: :lol: It seems so long since I've been to the lakes.....I'm starting to long for a grassy hill :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:34 am

Cat Bells in a great hill, a proper mini mountain. Unfortunately this makes it justifiably popular. You can get the top to yourself apparently as these astonishing pics from the striding edge website will testify.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Phooooey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 pm

I think we might also have just made out Phoooey and Damson's new coat on the other side of Keswick it was that clear!
Hahahahahahaha :lol: :lol:
Great report and photos. I don't need to motivate Damson although I'm sure she'd get through as much chocolate as possible if she could. :wink:
I've not been up the nose of Catbells for many years, last time heading from the bridge at Little Town in Newlands valley.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Postby garyhortop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Susie - its the first time I have been up there in years and I had forgotten how steep the climb was but we all enjoyed and it was great to be back in the lakes again! Planning my next trip already! :D

Chris - I look forward to seeing how you get on with the Snickers bait....just don't catch any bears! :wink:

JK - Thanks and some great shots on the link! My guess is it would have to be that cold and that early to do so tho!! :shock:

Phoooey - Try a bonio! :thumbup:

Thanks again guys!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Hi Gary Saw Julia Bradbury do this walk on the tele a couple of weeks ago looks like a great little walk. :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Postby garyhortop » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:09 pm

willywalker247 wrote:Hi Gary Saw Julia Bradbury do this walk on the tele a couple of weeks ago looks like a great little walk. :)

Cheers Chris, It is a little cracker this one and well worth the trip - especially if you are lucky and get a clear day! :wink:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland