walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cefn yr Ystrad

Cefn yr Ystrad

Postby willywalker247 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cefn yr Ystrad

Date walked: 23/08/2012

Time taken: 2.4

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 335m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

For some reason i had been putting off doing this walk since the start of the year. Well here i am parked just below Pontsticill reservior Grid ref SO060113.
Cefn yr Ystrad 002.JPG
The path at the start is a little steep then after passing through and under the Brecon Mountain railway track the path rises gently.
Cefn yr Ystrad 003.JPG
The views start to open up with a great view of Pontsticill reservior and Pen y Fan and Cribyn.
Cefn yr Ystrad 004.JPG
Old mine?
As my eye wandered taking in more of the views i saw what looked like an entrance to an old mine.
Cefn yr Ystrad 005.JPG
As i continued on i could hear the train coming, so i stopped and looked back down the path to see if i could see the train, i was in luck. I had my camera out in a flash :lol: and got a my pic.
Cefn yr Ystrad 007.JPG
Abercriban Quarry
The path then rises to a gateway in a wall on to open ground. Turn to the left and follow the path as it continues to climb gently up passing Abercriban quarry.
Cefn yr Ystrad 010.JPG
As you continue on you pickup a track follow this for half a mile or so then you can just continue up and you will see the summit cairn on the horizon. After reaching the summit you can retrace your steps back down. Making my way back to the start my eyes were drawn to Pen y Fan and i realised that it does not matter where i go in the Brecon Becons i feel drawn to Pen y Fan. It seems to have a hold on me.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Cefn yr Ystrad

Postby ChrisW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Lovely wee wander WW, hope you waved to those folk on the train.....you have to do it...them's the rules :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:04 am

Hi CW I waved to the old gentleman in the last carriage. :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:19 pm

That looks a very enjoyable walk and some lovely views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby willywalker247 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:52 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:That looks a very enjoyable walk and some lovely views :thumbup:

Hi Susie I did enjoy the walk but my pics never do the views justice. I wish I had your talent. :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Nice wander Chris ...that mine look like it could do with some closer inspection as well!! And some good views across to the Beacons......I get the draw of Pen Y Fan...but not sure why either!! :? Hope you enjoy the Runner Bean chutney Debbie sent!
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am

garyhortop wrote:Nice wander Chris ...that mine look like it could do with some closer inspection as well!! And some good views across to the Beacons......I get the draw of Pen Y Fan...but not sure why either!! :? Hope you enjoy the Runner Bean chutney Debbie sent!

Hi Gary
I do plan to go and have another look soon and poke my nose in that tunnel. The chutney i know i will. I will try and catch up with Glyn on the weekend.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby clivegrif » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello, nice report!

Does any one know what the routes are like from the North East?

This is the only one I've got left to do in the south, but was thinking about an approach from Dyffryn Crawnon - but there may be quarries in the way!

Cheers
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm

clivegrif wrote:Does any one know what the routes are like from the North East?

Dyffryn Crawnon is really nice, and the quarry doesn't really get in the way. Lots of quad bikes and scramblers do though! If you see my report from March, it has some info in it - although I started elsewhere, I did wind around that side of the hill. I'm pretty sure there are paths up from the bottom of the Crawnon. Somebody did mention though that the high public road to the quarry had been blocked off further back towards Tredegar to try and cut down on fly-tipping up there.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby clivegrif » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:35 pm

malky_c wrote:
clivegrif wrote:Does any one know what the routes are like from the North East?

Dyffryn Crawnon is really nice, and the quarry doesn't really get in the way. Lots of quad bikes and scramblers do though! If you see my report from March, it has some info in it - although I started elsewhere, I did wind around that side of the hill. I'm pretty sure there are paths up from the bottom of the Crawnon. Somebody did mention though that the high public road to the quarry had been blocked off further back towards Tredegar to try and cut down on fly-tipping up there.

Cheers Malky! Blimey you've been busy - it was at the bottom of page 3 for this year! Excellent stuff and yet again really useful. I followed your footsteps around the Berwyn a couple of weeks ago - write up to follow.
Thanks again, Clive
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Cymro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Hello Wilywalker

Some nice photos of your journey to Cefn Yr Ystrad one of my favorite locations the one photo labeled Mine is infact a Powder House where Black Powder was stored, used as an explosive in the nearby Quarries There are no mines in limestone country only caves.

Cofion/Regards
Cymro
Cymro
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:1

Postby Cymro » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Hello Wilywalker

Some nice photos of your journey to Cefn Yr Ystrad one of my favorite locations the one photo labeled Mine is infact a Powder House where Black Powder was stored, used as an explosive in the nearby Quarries There are no mines in limestone country only caves.

Cofion/Regards
Cymro
Cymro
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:1

Postby willywalker247 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 am

As i grew in Cardigan in west Wales i know nothing about mines, but its nice to learn a bit about what we see when we go wondering about the hill. Thanks for the info. I hope to do that walk again soon and will take a closer look.
willywalker247
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland