walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol Munros circuit

Glas Maol Munros circuit

Postby gman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 15/11/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

glas maol actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First time I've been to this neck of the woods so I was more worried about the drive than anything else. 80% chance of cloud free Munros according to MWIS so I'd get a chance to try my new polarising filter :lol:

There's a steep road (12%) heading up to the ski centre, worth remembering as it's on the walk back. No other cars in the layby & didn't meet anyone else. Over the stone bridge and on towards Carn an Tuirc, path was muddy but it had hardened with the cold giving an easy walk in - parked above 500m so not much ascent either:

Sron na Gaoithe:

Mountain hare not bothered by walkers:

Higher up it became stony, these had a covering of frost and were slippy:

Cairn reached quickly, bit of clag but I'm sure the sun will burn through it :lol:

Down to the path onwards - I wound up following landrover tracks most of the way which felt a bit out of place at this height:

Visibility getting worse as I joined the drystane wall:

And Munro number 2, Cairn of Claise:

More wall:

And a bog:

There isn't much descent/reascent between Munros so didn't take long to get to Glas Maol. Plus there weren't any views to sit around admiring in the clag:

Either something very valuable or something very dangerous growing here:

Got to the shelter, looked dark & damp inside:

Few false summits on the way to Creag Leacath:

Cairn:

Descent was initially on the slippy rocks, then grassy hillside next to a burn - can actually see the road from here:

I followed a path at the side of the burn going back towards the road, had to detour a few times as chunks of the path had fallen into the stream - there's another path higher up which might be better.

Got to the road and started the steep climb up, thought cars were slowing down to offer a lift a couple of times but they were just struggling with the gradient :) There's a big maintenance area after a couple of kms and the road starts descending from here so the last part's a breeze, in fact walking up the road is probably the hardest part of the day :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Glas Maol Munros circuit

Postby rjpatyou » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:12 pm

its great to see Glas Maol without the 8inch of snow that was there 10 days ago :crazy: i enjoyed the report makes wont to get up and do the other two wile the snows not there :D
rjpatyou
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   
Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:10 pm

A decent round for the time of year! Nice to see four Munros in a TR that I did over three separate walks, all in very different conditions to what you got for them. :)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:58 pm

thanks for posting - did these hills with my old man many moons ago :) cant remember what conditions were like though - I aso noticed on my drive down through the highlands today that the hare had their winter coats on - nice pics
wilkiemurray

Postby gman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 pm

rjpatyou wrote:its great to see Glas Maol without the 8inch of snow that was there 10 days ago :crazy:

The hills look better in the snow juging by your pics :)
Graeme D wrote:A decent round for the time of year! Nice to see four Munros in a TR that I did over three separate walks, all in very different conditions to what you got for them. :)

Apart from the clag, I had ideal conditions for a quick round as the muddiest bits had frozen :)
wilkiemurray wrote:I aso noticed on my drive down through the highlands today that the hare had their winter coats on - nice pics

I don't think they realise that the white coats aren't ideal camouflage yet - saw loads of them on the way up.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby quoman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:44 pm

4 munro's for not much to much effort ...and as you said the walk backup the road was the hardest part of the day.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland