walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mynydd Tarw, Foel Wen & Tomle

Mynydd Tarw, Foel Wen & Tomle

Postby andy63 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Foel Wen, Mynydd Tarw

Date walked: 13/11/2012

Time taken: 3.5

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 5m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This walk starts from way out in the middle of nowhere - right to the end of trhe B4500 and then a few miles more on a single track road.there's a little layby with room for 2 or 3 cars at the place I started from.
It was a short steep climb up to the top of Mynydd Tarw.

002.jpg
Mynydd Tarw

004.jpg
Mynydd Tarw summit

It was very windy on the top.The weather was cloudy but it didn't rain.
From here there's a boggy path that follows the fence line along the ridge to Foel Wen and Tomle.

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

012.jpg
Tomle summit

Tomle was the highest hill on this walk at 742m, although it isn't a Hewitt.

018.jpg
Cadair Bronwen

020.jpg
Cadair Berwyn

I had planned to carry on up to the Berwyn ridge and do 3 more summits, but my new boots were rubbing against the back of my heels so I decided to head back to avoid making the blisters worse.The boots did keep my feet dry, in spite of having to do some quite awkward bog trotting.
From the col between Tomle and Cadair Berwyn there's a good path leading down to a muddy track and then onto the road.
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Mynydd Tarw, Foel Wen & Tomle

Postby ChrisW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:28 pm

A fine wee wander Andy even if it was a bit windy.....beats the hell out of rain :roll:

Shame the new boots started playing up cutting the day short but they'll be well on the way to 'bedded in' now. :wink: I always carry a pack of Compeed blister plasters and have to say they are the dogs danglies of blister treatment, you can put one on a blister the size of a duck egg and put your boot back on and walk off as if you were just starting out again :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Nice to see a lesser walked area Andy and I am with Chris...wind beats rain any day...managed to get some good shots there as well! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby stig_nest » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Was up these hills Sunday just gone, saw nothing except peat, heather & the occasional outcrop. Was very squelchy up there too. We continued up onto Cadair Berwyn (both tops) and descended from a point a tad further along towards Moel Sych down onto the Moel y Ewig spur out to Godor. Its a good 14k circuit but to be fair its best walked in a clockwise direction. If you want to test your navi skills the Berwyns in the mist are pretty much as good as anywhere. :wink:
stig_nest
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland