walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High altitude snorkeling (taking in Ben Macdui)

High altitude snorkeling (taking in Ben Macdui)

by Reginald Rat » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Derry Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui

Date walked: 22/09/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 31 km

Ascent: 1163m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: High altitude snorkeling (taking in Ben Macdui)

Postby Ranger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Great to read something out of the ordinary - thanks for posting :clap:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Bod » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 pm

Love how your map shows the route entering Loch Etchachan, swims around for a bit and comes out again :D :D :wink:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:09 am

great report - when I saw the title I thought it was a report of rather wet day in the scottish hills!!!

Shame there were no fish but I bet you were glad there were no midgies though!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

well done on winning the tr off the month - well deserved
wilkiemurray

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 am

Excellent exploration, and great pics. I have fished Loch Etchacan, I'm now undecided whether to feel daft for fishing in a fishless loch, or relieved that it wasn't my fault that I didn't catch anything! I have fished in Loch A'an, and caught trout. I believe Loch A'an is quite deep, it certainly looks so from the hills above. It may be worth looking out for Cairngorm Stone crystals under the water there.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountainfishman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 am

Happy to see there are as equally mad individuals in this world!!! Great day out b the sounds of it!
mountainfishman
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:15 am

Another remore loch you might like to try is Loch Coruisk on Skye; take the boat from Elgol and you wont have to carry your stuff too far. Who knows what lies beneath???
beastie.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Reginald Rat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:42 pm

mountainfishman wrote:Another remore loch you might like to try is Loch Coruisk on Skye; take the boat from Elgol and you wont have to carry your stuff too far. Who knows what lies beneath???

Looks dangerous from your photo... I'll have to take the shark-cage along.
Reginald Rat
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:3

Postby snoopmac » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:38 am

Great report, was up not long after you to camp at the Loch side, checked out the Hutchison Hut and it's very impressive - last time I visited it was pretty rank and dingy. You've got to be commended for bravery for going in there though, wetsuit or not. On the subject of fish in mountain lochs, I remember watching a guy fishing at the Pools of Dee back in '87. Within about 2 minutes of casting (I think that's the technical term - I'm not a fisher...) he was pulling a fish from the water. My mate an I looked on in awe at the the bearded mountain mans prowess.
snoopmac
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm

snoopmac wrote: I remember watching a guy fishing at the Pools of Dee back in '87

I fished there in the late 80s ; full of wee trout. The Galloway hills are great for trout fishing, the Cairngorms are a bit dour, though Loch A'an has decent fishing.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:01 am

Hi Reginald,
Being a diver, a canoe'r, a skier, a runner a walker and an all round outdoor enthusiast, I just love your report. I am disappointed however that you didn't find any fish and would consider that your report was biased towards the ecological fraternity ensuring that fish were not to be found and were in fact edited out of your final report. Well that's ok because i know that in the depths of winter when I ski up to Loch Etchachan I will be able to spin a line a pull some trout out for my lunch. Thanks again for an unusual report :D
monty

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 am

How about the halfway lochan on Ben Nevis? Maybe you could hire a pony to carry your stuff.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Reginald Rat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:27 am

monty wrote:Hi Reginald,
Being a diver, a canoe'r, a skier, a runner a walker and an all round outdoor enthusiast, I just love your report. I am disappointed however that you didn't find any fish and would consider that your report was biased towards the ecological fraternity ensuring that fish were not to be found and were in fact edited out of your final report. Well that's ok because i know that in the depths of winter when I ski up to Loch Etchachan I will be able to spin a line a pull some trout out for my lunch. Thanks again for an unusual report :D

Thanks - the fish were probably hiding up the other end of the loch... N.B. I read your recent report on completing the Munros and the 100 or so comments you've got back - seems to have inspired a lot of people on this site. I'm certainly building up a list of hills to do next year now.

Caberfeidh wrote:How about the halfway lochan on Ben Nevis? Maybe you could hire a pony to carry your stuff.

I don't think you'd be likely to run out of lochans in Scotland to do - that would be a challenge...
Reginald Rat
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:3

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland