walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seat Sandal and a Wander

Seat Sandal and a Wander

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal

Hewitts included on this walk: Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Seat Sandal

Date walked: 18/11/2012

Time taken: 6

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 650m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Its been a while since I got myself out in the hills and probably longer since I last got the time to write a report of my experience. How surprised I was when I was asked if I fancied a weekend away in the Lakes. Yes indeed I replied (of course) and was encouraged to book a stay at the Red Lion in Grasmere. I must say it did not take much encouragement and quickly booked and into the diary.

Having got to Grasmere on the Saturday about 1pm we decided to have a wander up Silver How, I think it is Carol’s favorite as this is the first fell I took her up whilst staying at the Prince of Wales Hotel also in Grasmere. A pleasant walk was had and we were presented with some wonderful views especially towards the Crinkles and Bowfell.

The next morning I looked out of the bedroom window to a clear blue sky with snow on the top of Fairfield and Seat Sandal. I had not at this time formulated a plan where to walk, but decided that as I had avoided Seat Sandal on my many trips over Dunmail Raise and indeed needed to bag it, the time and the location we were in was right to tackle it.
P1020205.JPG
Seat Sandal from Hotel window
P1020209.JPG
Looking to Helm Crag from Dunmail Raise
P1020210.JPG
Track up Raise Beck

We were parked up at Raise Beck at 0850 with not a sole around, but a little cloud had dropped onto the fell top otherwise blue skies all around, I was hopeful that the weather forecast would be correct today and we would be treated to a fine day. We continued up the path alongside Raise Beck steadily climbing and passing two delightful waterfalls on the way, there are no difficulties up this path. The views behind towards Steel Fell were very good, as we approached the summit of the path there was a snow covered view of Fairfield ahead at which point we turned right and up the slope towards Seat Sandals top. The views were becoming clearer as we ascended with Grisedale Tarn and the surrounding fells standing out asking for its picture to be taken. The temperature was dropping as we climbed and it was a matter of gloves off and gloves back on quickly to take any pictures.
P1020212.JPG
Steel Fell
P1020213.JPG
A cold looking Fairfield
P1020214.JPG
To Seat Sandal
P1020215.JPG
Grisedale Tarn, Dollwaggon Pk, St Sunday Crag and Fairfield.

Seat Sandal summit is a barren affair, however the views are good towards the coast and especially Grisedale and St Sunday Crag, we didn’t hang around long up here it was too cold and certainly not a coffee stop today. We descended down to Grisedale Hause which is pretty steep in parts and requires hands in places, at the bottom a nice sheep fold was identified as a belated coffee stop.
P1020219.JPG
Summit Pano

The picture looking to Dollywagon and Fairfield from here is quite stunning, as we sat with our coffee and Twix we discussed our next objective as the time was only 1120, there was plenty of daytime left to wander a little more rather than go back. So off we went towards Dollywaggon Pike around the tarn, it looked a long way up to the top up the well constructed old pony route to the top. Looking back to the way we came down Seat Sandal, looks even steeper than it actually is and we asked each other if we actually came down that way!!
P1020224.JPG
Fairfield from the climb up Dollywaggon Pk

Again on the way up and also at the top we were greeted with some wonderful views towards Fairfield and Cofa Pike with Grisdale itself looking particularly picturesque. It was really getting cold now and I felt it more when taking my gloves off to take a picture.
P1020225.JPG
Grisedale and Place Fell
I always find it strange when I see that isolated fence post close to the summit of Dollywaggon and try to imagine how important it must have been in days gone to have these fences in such remote and inhospitable places.
P1020226.JPG
That Post!
P1020228.JPG
View from Nethermost Pike
P1020230.JPG
Helvellyn and Catstycam
P1020231.JPG
Red Tarn
Onward towards Helvellyn via High Crag and Nethermost Crag, the wind was blowing a little up here and already small cornices were forming on the cliff edge. This is a very nice walk at any time of the year, but today with the snow and wonderful vistas it was special. Another cup of coffee at the summit shelter on Helvellyn which of course was not deserted after which we descended back towards Wythburn and a track alongside the main A591 to the car at Dunmail Raise.
P1020233.JPG
Thirlmere on the way down
P1020235.JPG
The way back to Dunmail Raise

A great day out and was now looking forward to a pint of Jennings Cumberland at the Red Lion!

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Seat Sandal and a Wander

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Great report, Geoff, and so glad to hear you and Carol had a good day :D
Lovely photos with some wonderful views :thumbup:
The first time I did Helvellyn we caught the bus to Wythburn from Grasmere and then came down via Dollywaggon and Seat Sandal; many years ago :lol:
Jeff and I are off to Ullswater next weekend :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby simon-b » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:33 pm

Good pictures of a great day on the Helvellyn range, LH. I know it was a good day, because on Sunday 18th I climbed Nethermost Pike from Patterdale and went on over Dollywaggon Pike to Grisedale Tarn, returning via St. Sunday Crag, Birks and Arnison Crag. Perhaps we passed each other, I was on Nethermost Pike at 11:11 and Dollywaggon at 11:50. Do you know what time you were on Nethermost Pike?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby morag1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:06 pm

A great walk, Lhiking :D

Some of these photos could easily be mistaken for Munros, they look so similar 8)
morag1

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:52 pm

simon-b wrote:Good pictures of a great day on the Helvellyn range, LH. I know it was a good day, because on Sunday 18th I climbed Nethermost Pike from Patterdale and went on over Dollywaggon Pike to Grisedale Tarn, returning via St. Sunday Crag, Birks and Arnison Crag. Perhaps we passed each other, I was on Nethermost Pike at 11:11 and Dollywaggon at 11:50. Do you know what time you were on Nethermost Pike?

Hi Simon, small world is it not? It appears we definitely passed each other, I was wearing a bright blue Mountain Equipment Jacket and I consider we passed on the slopes of Dollywaggon,as we were at the tarn around 11.30 now thats a shame pal

SusieThePensioner wrote:Great report, Geoff, and so glad to hear you and Carol had a good day :D
Lovely photos with some wonderful views :thumbup:
The first time I did Helvellyn we caught the bus to Wythburn from Grasmere and then came down via Dollywaggon and Seat Sandal; many years ago :lol:
Jeff and I are off to Ullswater next weekend :D

Hi Susie, wonderful day but very cold, And your first route up Helvellyn was the same as mine

I look forward to some of those excellent pictures of yours soon
Last edited by L-Hiking on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby L-Hiking » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm

morag1 wrote:A great walk, Lhiking :D

Some of these photos could easily be mistaken for Munros, they look so similar 8)

Hi Morag, its a special area for me, and only 2 hours from home so they are a good substitute for Munro,s
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:05 am

Beautiful hike LH, stunning photos of the wonderful lake district, love the dusting of snow even if it did make me shiver a little :clap: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm

Great report LH and some amazing pictures there...makes me quite jealous to see some snow....all we seem to be getting at the moment in the SW is rain.......and gallons of it! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:16 pm

Some fine pics there LH especially the one showing Catstycam and Hellvellyn, I really enjoyed your report as well :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:21 pm

garyhortop wrote:Great report LH and some amazing pictures there...makes me quite jealous to see some snow....all we seem to be getting at the moment in the SW is rain.......and gallons of it! :D

Cheers Gary, a great trip and nice to see some white stuff
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some fine pics there LH especially the one showing Catstycam and Hellvellyn, I really enjoyed your report as well :thumbup:

Thanks JK, I can tell you it was cold taking that picture, glad you liked it :D
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland