walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fuar Bheinn & Creach Bheinn

Fuar Bheinn & Creach Bheinn

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:01 am

Route description: Creach Bheinn & Fuar Bheinn: Galmadale round

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Morvern), Fuar Bheinn

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Cille

Date walked: 14/10/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1152m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having arrived in Ardnamurchan the day before for a week-long stay in October, a habit formed over 5 years that's proving impossible to break, and keen to make an early dent in the hills with minimum impact on family time, I was up before 5am and on the road well before 6am, like a kid at Xmas.

Lured to this particular route by TR's from malkyc initially, then collaciotach and robertphillips, I headed East, back towards Ardgour and, aided by the complete absence of any other vehicle on the road (sensible people were still wrapped in their duvets), just the odd stag or ewe, made light work of the drive and eased-off on the gas once down on to the Glengalmadale road. I was now in unfamiliar territory, it was still dark, no moon and, while I knew I was on the narrow single-track, flanked by the slopes of Meall nan Each and Loch Linnhe, I couldn't see a thing.

Soon after I was rolling quietly through Glengalmadale so as not to disturb the natives on the sabbath but couldn't at first see where to leave the car in the dark and drove on through, past Camasnacroise and on until I turned in the opening for Kingairloch Boathouse. I sat here for a bit to have a look at the map and considered leaving the car here and striding out on to the Southern slopes of Beinn na Cille but, opted to wait for enough light to tackle the circuit from the glen below, as planned (Beinn na Cille wasn't in my original plan and I didn't think I had time to slot it in). My reason for doing these two Corbetts from this side, apart from the circuit's obvious beauty, had been for the earlier light than say, Glen Tarbert. I put in a text to the Estate with my planned route and it was still dark as I drove back down into Glengalmadale and found a good spot to leave the car just back over the small bridge. It was, by now, about 7.15am and with enough light to see my way in, I walked back over the bridge, taking a quick right on to a good, stony landrover track towards the wee dam.

It took all of 10-15 minutes to reach the small dam wall and started up the hillside, initially following Allt Coire Nan Darach...

...but quickly opted for the less-steep looking Allt Coire Mhic Gugain, which involved a quick traverse around Meall a' Bhuiridh and it was here I met this wee chap..

View up the glen at daybreak to Creach Beinn (left) and Meall Nan Each (Right)

I could now see the route to the bealach ahead of me with the sky brightening...

...and there were some pleasant distractions along the way

Prior to gaining the bealach, a look back revealed the sun rising over Druim na Maodalaich and views to Appin over Loch Linnhe...

The bealach was reached and, continuing to ignore the draw of Beinn na Cille, Loch Uisge peeked out of the Morvern hillfoots...

Up ahead, on Meall Coire Mhic Gugain, my progress was being monitored...

First view of both, Fuar and Creach Bheinn, summits together

Meanwhile, behind me, interesting things were happening with the light over Loch Linnhe...

View down Coire an t-Seasglaich, through the Glengalmadale and beyond...

Loch Sunart, Beinn Resipole (cloud-capped) and, in the background, Eigg & Rum...

South to Morvern and future target Beinn Mheadhoin...

Fuar Bheinn's summit was gained soon after and the outlook over Shuna, Lismore and the Lynns of Lorn & Morvern resplendent...

Didn't hang about on top as I realised my time estimate was not going to be met and descended rather hurriedly down through the fairly precipitious craggy / rocky North side of Fuar Bhein, towards Bealach a' Mhonmhuir. On reaching the bealach I looked back only to see a nice, gently sloping grassy path to the NW of my decent (just off pic to the right)! A few seconds taken to check the map would have revealed this.

Creach Beinn now stood before me and there were several grassy lines ahead weaving through the rocks but the SE face and the big gash therein was a real draw...

A glance back to Fuar Bheinn revealed the beauty of it's East ridge to Meall Leac an Fhireoin

View down, Coire a Chuil Mhaim to where the Dubh Alltan met the Glengalmadale River

Creach Bheinn's summit was reached without too much more effort and the remains of the trig were inside one of two large shelter cairns

The views were, as hoped, magnificent. Beinn Resipole's summit was still in cloud and the Moidart hills were clear...

Heading off the summit to the NE, I encountered some odd rock formations. Two large dykes of about 6 and 8ft, as well as 4 walled circles. My imagination ran wild as I wondered about their use.

Garbh Beinn (Ardgour)

Loch Leven, Ballachullish and Ben Nevis (snow-capped)

An Coire Dubh (leading to Glen Tarbert)

The view down Dubh Alltan to Glengalmadale. I had a decision to make here as I was horribly behind my estimated time, do I continue over Maol Odhar and on to Meall nan Each or, drop down into the glen from here? In some deluded state of damage limitation, I decided upon the latter and so it was, with the words of the walkhighlands TR for this circuit ringing in my ears "Although it is possible to ... drop down from Maol Odhar to shorten the day this would detract from a glorious round", down I went. Once well down into the glen it grew increasingly wet and I considered regaining Meall Nan Each but stubbornly carried on, only for it to get worse (there had been a lot of rain in the 2-3 days preceding this) and, by the time I crossed the Allt a' Chuil Mhaim, I was splashing around up to my ankles and hoping it would soon end. It didn't end until I reached the dam head!

It was very warm on the walk out and the final leg was very pleasant, despite the preceding bogfest. A final look back up the glen.

This is an excellent circuit and I would urge anyone considering it to allow time (though none was gained by dropping down) to do Bein na Cille, either from Kingairloch or Glengalmadale, and Meall nan Each.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 12 times in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Fuar Beinn & Creach Beinn

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:46 am

some nice pics there
wilkiemurray

Re: Fuar Bheinn & Creach Bheinn

Postby gaffr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:15 am

Some fine views outwards from these hills. :D I think that it was on maol odhar that we came across some aircraft wreckage? and later the wee lookout camp remains....for fire beakons to be lit when 'foreign boats' appeared in Loch Linnhe? Must have been some bivvy for the lookout folks up there. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Your last but one picture is superb. Have you photoshopped it? :wink: And....what's the story with the toad?, or is the another chapter?
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Great area and great hills - I love how the character changes as soon as you get over the Corran ferry :)

I skived an afternoon off work to do these - time well spent I reckon :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Nice one, hope to venture into this area next year. Photos are superb :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Fuar Beinn & Creach Beinn

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:01 am

wilkiemurray wrote:some nice pics there

Thanks, a few words now added (after 3 previous failed attempts).

gaffr wrote:Some fine views outwards from these hills. :D I think that it was on maol odhar that we came across some aircraft wreckage? and later the wee lookout camp remains....for fire beakons to be lit when 'foreign boats' appeared in Loch Linnhe? Must have been some bivvy for the lookout folks up there. :)

Yeah, gaffr, between Maol Odhar and Meall nan Each I believe, although I didn't get that far due to the poor decision-making explained above. Lesson learned.

Avocetboy wrote:Your last but one picture is superb. Have you photoshopped it? :wink: And....what's the story with the toad?, or is the another chapter?

Dude, no photoshop, wouldn't know how. As for the puddock, I saved it's life. As I walked up near the start I saw something move in the long grass and, thinking it might be an adder, almost fell over in trying to avoid planting my foot on it. Turned out to be this fine wee specimen so, I lifted him on to a rock so he wouldn't be trod on by some other great lummox.

malky_c wrote:Great area and great hills - I love how the character changes as soon as you get over the Corran ferry :)

I skived an afternoon off work to do these - time well spent I reckon :D

Totally agree, malky. I even have certain music I like to put on for the journey from Corran! Thanks for your report on this one, I had others in mind until I read it.

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one, hope to venture into this area next year. Photos are superb :thumbup:

Cheers, Johnny, you won't be disappointed.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:15 am

Lovely - enjoyed reading your report and some cracking photos :thumbup: Have only ever driven through here - not been on the hills yet but looks great - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby JB likes a beer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Great pics love the stag on hillside , well done
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:205   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:48 am

rockhopper wrote:Lovely - enjoyed reading your report and some cracking photos :thumbup: Have only ever driven through here - not been on the hills yet but looks great - cheers :)

Thanks, rockhopper. It's a stunning area, especially in October.
JB likes a beer wrote:Great pics love the stag on hillside , well done

Cheers, JB. Just my wee point and shoot, some days when the light is right, the pics benefit.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby morag1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Lovely photos BoyV :clap:

I hope your wife made you a nice cup of tea when you got back :lol:
morag1

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:08 pm

morag1 wrote:Lovely photos BoyV :clap:

I hope your wife made you a nice cup of tea when you got back :lol:

She did indeed, Morag.

Problem was, she made it at Noon, when I said I'd be back. By the time I did return, at 2pm, it was cold...just the right temp for pouring over my head. :wink:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Frigate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Never mind tea, head for the beer and egg shampoo. with an articulated tong more vitamins and it tastes far better
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby Frigate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Never mind tea, head for the beer and egg shampoo. with an articulated tong more vitamins and it tastes far better
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Grand report glad you enjoyed the day its grand country :D

An Campa (The Camp) Stone structures are from the Napoleonic period and served as lookouts for the awaited French invasion ..... shame they did nt make it i m sure they would have had plenty help from the Gaidhealachd :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland