walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dally in Dalmally

Dally in Dalmally

Postby Frigate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 25/11/2012

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 1331m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had not really planned to attend the WH Winter Meet but was going to turn up in the Camper with the misses and partake in a beer and maybe even a walk. That is until work offered a free flu jab which made me unwell, so stayed in and sulked until I read the weather report for Sunday in the west. Beinn a Chochuill and Eunaich - give it a go you can always bail out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG00103.jpg
Looking out to Kilchurn

So up at 6 and a steady drive to Dalmally, arrived in light drizzle which lasted for about an hour. Negotiated three herds of Highland cows busy feeding in the centre of the track.

IMG00105.jpg
The way off Beinn Eunaich ridge down to Stob Maol

IMG00106.jpg
Stob Diamh being coy

Two guys, Gary and Dougie, who arrived just after I did passed me and started breaking trail at the snow line. We ended up walking together as different pace and steepness allowed.

IMG00108.jpg
Beinn Chochuill summit

IMG00109.jpg
Untouched snow and untouched sky

The clag did not really lift at all, just the odd glimpse of the Dalmally horseshoe, Ben Cruachan did not show herself all day, Stob Diamh appeared as we hit the track back out. However it was a good day out with lots of crisp new snow occasionally knee deep.

IMG00110.jpg
White sky and snow contrast provided by rocks

IMG00113.jpg
First view coming off Beinn Eunaich

IMG00114.jpg
At last a view

Poor photos provided by a worn out Blackberry, just like me really

Car to Beinn a Chochuill 2 hrs 50 mins
B a C to Beinn Eunaich 1 hrs 50 including a 15 min lunch break on B a C
BE to car 1hr 35 mins
Car to car 6hrs 15 mins
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Re: Dally in Dalmally

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Nice one, Frigate.

Have these two earmarked for a Spring day and when up on Stob Diamh the week before last was looking across and wondering what might be the best way to approach them, thanks.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Frigate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Nice one, Frigate.

Have these two earmarked for a Spring day and when up on Stob Diamh the week before last was looking across and wondering what might be the best way to approach them, thanks.

I had thought about following the track to the end and going straight up or climbing Eunaich first but in the end the WH route is the best.. The last 400m of descent off Eunaich is steep, having climbed up the Bealach nan Lapin route twice this year this ranks alongside it - Have fun
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

Didnt like these two hills remember Harry snotters and the frozen dog . Did you find a German Army Mit left it there last feb certainly knocking your total up good show
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm

"Up at six" did you sleep in again :lol: :lol: Not so good weather there kev so well done on sticking it out,it'll be better this weekend :wink: Surprised to see how much snow has fallen :roll:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:57 am

looks like you had the same sort of views on these hills as I did :roll: - still at least you got out and had a good day - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland