walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broadcairn from Glen Doll, and a wee missed top!

Broadcairn from Glen Doll, and a wee missed top!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Route description: Loch Muick Circuit

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn

Date walked: 24/11/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21.1 km

Ascent: 984m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With no walking partners and the forcast good, just got up and went for it. Arrived at Glen Doll parking area oooops £2.00 for parking, dear dear Angus Council I thought you were trying to encourage people to get off their backsides, is fuel not expensive enough without car parking charges. Left car park at 0830hrs and headed off through the picnic area and went West towards the River South Esk
1.JPG
The ranger's centre with toilets at the Glen Doll Car Park
2.JPG
Walking through the picnic area, no one using too early and too cold and frosty
3.JPG
A fine wee pathway, covered in pine needles takes you alonside the River bank which is on your right
4.JPG
Soon you come to a bridge which crosses the River South Esk, at the far side of the bridge there is a seat on your right. After passing the seat you follow the path which leads between trees on both sides and at the end of the path it meets up with a landrover track, turn left here with woods on your left hand side. The trees on the right hand side of the track have been felled.
5.JPG
As you come out of the trees you see a farm cottage and prior to that there is another bridge crossing. At the cottage you pass on the North side outwith the boundary fence
6.JPG
Not far on after the cottage there is a track running towards the river on your left, disregard this and proceed straight on as if heading for another tree plantation
7.JPG
Before you come to the trees a boardwalk has been constructed on your left, proceed along boardwalk keeping the plantation to your right.
8.JPG
This off road cyclist past me at this point but not far on I was to overtake him well before the Bachnagairn bridge
9.JPG
Another bridge crossing viewed looking Eastwards. Some muddy sections of track but nothing difficult
10.JPG
The track at this stage can get very icy in winter, today although some ice patches there was no difficulty
11.JPG
Bachnagairn Bridge, no the climb starts!. This bridge is referred to as the Roy Tait Bridge, after the Dundee Climber and Mountain rescue leader who died in a fall on Lochnagar on the 16th August 1981. The bridge was officially opened by his widow in 1984
12.JPG
After a short steep section of well constructed path, the path on continues to be in good condition and assists walking pace. The first sighting of Broadcairn
13.JPG
The path comes to a Y junction to proceed up Broadcairn take the left fork, the right fork heads towards Loch Muick
14.JPG
The boulderfield higher up, care is needed over the slippy rock
15.JPG
The summit of Broadcairn looking towards Loch Muick
16.JPG
Looking towards Cairn Bannoch, left and the outlying top I was about to visit as I had missed it the last time, right overlooking the Dubh Loch
17.JPG
Looking East towards Glen Clova
18.JPG
Looking down the glen from just above Roy Taits bridge
19.JPG
Brew time, out of the cold and have not stopped until now for a wee bite and a cuppa. One hour to get to the car park from here if all goes to plan. On my way back I met a bus load of 'Brechin Ramblers' out for a bit of fresh air. It's great to see more people taking to the hills!
20.JPG
The Ramblers were telling me to look out for a couple of Golden Eagles they had seen at the rocks, unfortunately although keeping an eye out on the distant hills, I never saw any. Never mind I say Grouse, hares and a single deer drinking at the River South Esk when I was walking through the woods. In all a great morning up the hills.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by The Rodmiester on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Broadcairn from Glen Doll, and a wee missed top!

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

If any Brechin Ramblers are reading this, Hi again, and hope you all enjoyed your day out to the Bachnagairn Bridge.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Alastair S » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Looks like a good outing there Rod. I've not been up there from the Glen Doll side.

However you did yourself out a treat by not carrying on for a couple of hundred metres from the summit of Creag ab Dubh-loch. There are same seriously scary cliffs overlooking Dubh Loch with great views over said loch.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 pm

The connoisseur's route up this hill :lol:

Bachnagairn is one of my favourite places on earth
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Some lovely pic here. As much as my walking adventures are starting to take me to spectacular places like Glencoe etc, I have a huge soft spot for the Angus glens and particulaly any report which starts from ym beloved Glen Doll. A beautiful place - thank you for sharing
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Alastair S wrote:Looks like a good outing there Rod. I've not been up there from the Glen Doll side.

However you did yourself out a treat by not carrying on for a couple of hundred metres from the summit of Creag ab Dubh-loch. There are same seriously scary cliffs overlooking Dubh Loch with great views over said loch.

Alastair S, I have always climbed Broadcairn and Bannoch from this side, in fact the reason for doing Broadcairn this month was I have done it 11 times before and I had noticed from my records that I had not done it in November before, so I thought I would rectify that, seeing the forecast was good for the Saturday :D and pretty rubbish for Sunday. Anyhow me being from Carnoustie this was the obvious way, travelling time ,fuel costs etc. It's a nice wee walk up the glen made even better now since they have formed a wee path alongside the River South Esk :) ( the previous start was from the carpark walk East over the road bridge and through a wide gate up the track to Moulzie) Yes your probably right I should have taken a few photographs of the cliffs and the Dubh Loch :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:18 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:The connoisseur's route up this hill :lol:

Bachnagairn is one of my favourite places on earth

Bachnagairn, fabulous place for a wee brew, even has a couple of very handy large stones for having the piece and a brew, with a great view down the glen :D .
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:Some lovely pic here. As much as my walking adventures are starting to take me to spectacular places like Glencoe etc, I have a huge soft spot for the Angus glens and particulaly any report which starts from ym beloved Glen Doll. A beautiful place - thank you for sharing

Thank's stevie, your right a cracking place right enough :D , it's a great pity they have done away with the campsite and now charge for the carpark :( , but anyway, a great walk and can be used to access many munros depending on your fitness :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Caught out by the £2 parking charge..................long time since you walked in your local hills????

The boardwalk is good in the summer for avoiding some boggy bits but with the covering of frost you had they can be bloomin slippy!

I really enjoy this walk and it's good to move on to Cairn Bannoch then over towards Tolmount to link up with Jock's Road.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Caught out by the £2 parking charge..................long time since you walked in your local hills????

The boardwalk is good in the summer for avoiding some boggy bits but with the covering of frost you had they can be bloomin slippy!

I really enjoy this walk and it's good to move on to Cairn Bannoch then over towards Tolmount to link up with Jock's Road.

Hi Gordie12, not caught out about charge, just thought I would mention on here so others were not caught out, actually did this one in February this year with my Niece on her first munro. Your so right about the frost on the boardwalk, nearly went all my length the first step on the thing :lol: :lol: Yes agreed the wee circuit to Bannoch and back down Jock's Road is a grand wee walk :) . Last Sat. I was a bit pushed for time so just came back the way I went hence my time on the walk, not hanging about apart from the iced boulderfield at the top, but a fine time was had with pretty good weather for photographs :) . Luckily the track up to Bachnagairn bridge was not as bad as I have had, as you probably know yourself it can be treacherous if it is iced over :crazy: , as quite often it can be in the winter.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:55 am

Ahhhh....that's a wee missed top for me too, I remember thinking about that at the I passed by previously. Nice report and lovely coming up from Glen Clova :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 am

Bod wrote:Ahhhh....that's a wee missed top for me too, I remember thinking about that at the I passed by previously. Nice report and lovely coming up from Glen Clova :D :D :clap:

Hi Bod, yes once your up there on Broadcairn looking West your eyes kind of focus on Cairn Bannoch (why I don't know as it's just a wee mound) and you pass by the top on the right :( and head off towards Bannoch picking up Cairn of Gowal on the left. I like Glen Clova maybe because i was taken there in my early years with my parents, God a long time ago now :lol: It certainly saves a long drive and there is so many walks you can do, so no matter the weather there is always something you can do. :) Make sure you get a good day when you return, all the best. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:39 am

Cracker of a Report!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:Cracker of a Report!

Thank's GGE :D , still finding my feet with the report writing, but hopefully improving and taking some interesting photographs along the way :) . Still a long way to go to keep up with some of the excellent reports on this fabulous site.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby old danensian » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Good read that you had a belter of a day out over there while others were thrashing around out west

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland