walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"WEE GUY" 6 yrs takes on Dorain in 4 foot snow, Munro 28!

"WEE GUY" 6 yrs takes on Dorain in 4 foot snow, Munro 28!

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 24/11/2012

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 10.8 km

Ascent: 975m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had left the house early as we were undecided exactly which hills to be climbing. Armed with the forecast and various maps we had headed east to Tyndrum, once there we decided Glen Coe it was and Beinn Dorain and neighbour where the chosen targets. Parked at the Bridge of Orchy hotel, we looked across the road to the hills, they were……well, shall we say very white and the tops where in the clouds. :shock: The forecast was for the day to get better, and looking into the distance this seemed to be the case. The views where already special and it looked set to get better. On leaving the car we passed a couple of walkers getting kitted up and they commented on “Wee Guy” and asked where we were heading. When I told them we were going to the summit they seemed a little shocked (obviously they had not met Kyle before, aka “the mountain goat”). So we set off up the lane to the railway station at 0900 hrs. myself Kyle and Marley. Under the railway we went and onto the open hillside, to be honest I was a little apprehensive about us reaching the summit of Dorain, never mind its neighbour. I and Kyle always have our bailout options, basically what is the plan if we want off the hill fast and safe if it all gets too much, better safe than sorry. :wink: So armed with this we pushed onwards and upwards, as usual at quite a fast pace.
DSC01843a.jpg
Looking up to the bealach
DSC01846a.jpg
The "TEAM"
Soon we were at the snow line and it was here that we had our first wee rest and snack, Kyle opted for the usual Mars bar followed by a boiled egg and several swigs of Lucazade sport! :D Ten minutes later and a couple of layers added we were off again heading for the bealach between Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh.
DSC01861a.jpg
Wee Guy & Big Guy hand prints
The snow was getting deeper but on the plus side it was making the boggy sections less wet. We reached the cairn on the bealach at approx. 1100 hrs. and made the right turn for Dorain.
DSC01871a.jpg
Heading for Dorain
In our plan we had opted to do this Munro first then if time and conditions permitted complete Dothaidh before returning to the car. Dorain is the longer of the two routes heading from the bealach which was the main influencer of our decisions.
DSC01876a.jpg
Marlster eating snow
Anyway, soon after the bealach the climb really started, the snow was deep and getting deeper, it was steep, no make that very steep in places.
DSC01877a.jpg
Wee Guy in training for Everest
DSC01881a.jpg
Come on dad
To be honest, I found it tough going, every step I sank up to foot deep in snow, however Marley and also Kyle seemed to have developed a technique similar to walking on water or should I say walking on snow!!!!! :lol: They rarely sank more than a few inches into the snow, it must have been a weight thing or they have been blessed!!!! :roll:
DSC01883a.jpg
Wolf on the ridge aka "Marley"
DSC01885a.jpg
Final push to the summit
It took us what seemed like forever to make the final ridge before heading to the summit cairn. We laughed and joked along the way; at one point I was led face down in the snow after sinking and as I lifted my head was swiftly struck by a snow ball from the “Wee Guy” clean across the head which sent me crashing backwards! :lol: The traverse to the summit was amazing, it was great to show Kyle all the dangers of the snow on the ridges, and he really appreciated the conditions, smart kid for 6 yrs. :wink: We held hands as we approached the summit cairn at 1,076 meters; it was an emotional moment for sure.
DSC01892a.jpg
MUNRO 28! AWESOME!
DSC01894a.jpg
Frozen fur on summit
We could not believe that we had achieved it. It was pure guts and determination that had put us there in those conditions. So….. 6 years old and on the summit of Munro 28 (that’s 28 since April 2012). :clap: :D It was 1230 hrs now and we got our warm kit on, got a shelter out of the wind and had lunch and hot drinks. We had now decided Dothaidh had escaped us on this outing, we spent a while at the summit, laughing and joking as per usual and of course taking pictures. We left the summit and after 10 mins the clouds lifted and gave us some spectacular views.
DSC01903a.jpg
Summit ridge
DSC01904a.jpg
Summit ridge
We passed some people on the way down to the bealach and they were puffing and panting, we let them know that it did not get any easier. They all seemed very impressed that the “Wee Guy” had summited. We had a very leisurely journey down and as we passed the bealach Kyle pointed at Dothaidh and said “we will be back you filthy animal”!!! :lol: I could not stop laughing for a long time after that comment.
DSC01900a.jpg
Mountain buddies
We stopped to fill up the flask with snow in order for Kyle to take this home as a wee pressie for his sister and mum. We got back to the car at 1515 hrs. safe and sound. What a day, what an adventure. My head cannot cope with all the memories we are generating. Hope you have enjoyed our latest adventures in the hills.
DSC01935.JPG
The lost foto!
Just found this picture on my phone, so had to add it in!
Last edited by davedanson28 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: "WEE GUY" 6 yrs takes on Dorain in 4 foot snow, Munro 28

Postby Fudgie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:17 pm

I definitely enjoyed reading that :clap:

I say it every time I read one of your reports but the wee man looks to be having a great time and the dog always looks non plussed :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm

great pics
i always enjoy your reports
very inspiring! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Lenore » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Ooh what an excellent day out! Wee guy's got more munros than me (jealous haha). Superb pictures on this one as well. Got 29 planned?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby quoman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:28 pm

very well done to the wee guy and you plus the dog to.... the wee guy looks to really enjoy himself on the hills.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby robertphillips » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 pm

well done young man. :clap: :clap: 8)
robertphillips
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:423   Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   Islands:39

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:55 pm

Fudgie wrote:I definitely enjoyed reading that :clap:

I say it every time I read one of your reports but the wee man looks to be having a great time and the dog always looks non plussed :lol:

Cheers Fudgie! :D Yeah, Kyle loves it and I think Marley does too! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:great pics
i always enjoy your reports
very inspiring! :D

Thanks Savagealice! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Lenore wrote:Ooh what an excellent day out! Wee guy's got more munros than me (jealous haha). Superb pictures on this one as well. Got 29 planned?

Thank you Lenore, yes it was indeed! :D I bet you are jealous, not many mountains in the Netherlands! :( We think we are going to return and complete Ben More, mainland as it defeated us a short while back, Kyle and Marley have got a score to settle! :lol: :lol:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

quoman wrote:very well done to the wee guy and you plus the dog to.... the wee guy looks to really enjoy himself on the hills.

Cheers Quoman, he certainly does! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:02 pm

robertphillips wrote:well done young man. :clap: :clap: 8)

Thanks for the kind words Robert! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby Stuart Angus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm

:thumbup: top man, it was grim on Saturday contrary to the forecasts! We were in Drumochter and I found it a real slog on Carn na Caim and its unpronounceable brother :lol: so fair play to the wee man :clap:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:07 pm

well done wee man :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby weescotsman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:19 am

Once again the Wee Man Mountain Goat completes a munro. 28 in just a few months is amazing going. :clap: :clap: :clap:

More than me this year for sure. Did these 2 when it was a bit icy but no snow and agreed that the Dothaidh is very boggy indeed. But not as boggy or even as steep as Ben Ime.

Doesn't Marley complain about frozen paws at all..... sure you can probably get doggy boots .... :lol:
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 am

Great photos of you all :D :D :clap:
Lovely ridge shots :wink:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland