walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick Chrulaiste – or your chicken will be cremated

A quick Chrulaiste – or your chicken will be cremated

Postby old danensian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste, from Altnafeidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 25/11/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 660m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

“Delicate” would be an adjective best used to describe the atmosphere left behind at the bunkhouse when Graeme and I set out on Sunday morning. After an early morning shower of rain, wisps of mist hung low across the glen but the odd hint of ridges above suggested that it might not be set in for the day. However, there was no stampede to join us.

Graeme’s text was enquiring: when will you be home?

Mine was more direct: the chicken will be ready by six.

So, a quick Corbett before the drive home and all should be satisfied. With one car left at Altnafeadh, we drove on to the Kings House to do a traverse of Beinn a Chrulaiste.

Chrulaiste-01.jpg
Beinn a Chrulaiste from Kings House

Suited and booted against rain that was already in the air, and an ominously boggy looking stretch ahead, we were off, soon losing any vestige of track that may have existed. After a few hundred metres beyond the old road we simply aimed for a low point on the skyline then weaved round the occasional outcrop before getting above the snowline and into the mists above.

The width of ground falling away on either side gradually narrowed as height and time wore on, so route finding at this stage was straightforward. The trig point duly appeared out of the mist.

Chrulaiste-02.jpg
Panoramic views at summit of Beinn a Chrulaiste

Time for photos and fuel, then we were off into the mists again.

Now I was under a false recollection that this was an upturned keel shaped hill. As a result I continued to be reassured by steep ground falling away to the right. By also failing to set the right scale on the GPS I was not disabused of this impression.

When the wind on the side of my face didn’t feel quite right I thought I’d better check the map as well. After all, I was out with someone who teaches other people this sort of stuff so I ought to get it right.

Whoops, there’s another ridge running north.

Marrying some GPS co-ordinates with the map it became obvious that we were on our way to the shores of the Blackwater Reservoir rather than the car.

Reverting back to old technology, paper and compass brought us back to the west ridge and gradually out of the cloud, finally heading in the right direction. This was suddenly and impressively confirmed when a window in the cloud opened up. An alpine-type view of the Buachaille was revealed, its upper cliffs blanketed in snow, the view a companion for the remainder of our way down to the car.

Chrulaiste-03.jpg
The Buachaille emerges

Chrulaiste-05.jpg
Ston Coire nan Lochan from west ridge of Beinn a Chrulaiste

Chrulaiste-06.jpg
Back at the Kings House - not much better but a grand outing

Back at the Kings House, satisfied after a good morning out, we were witness to the taming of the herd as the stag and his girlfriends were being fed. There was a man who knew what both the deer and the tourists want.

And the roast chicken was tasty too.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: A quick Chrulaiste – or your chicken will be cremated

Postby soulminer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:44 pm

A fine hill in Winter white 8) :) We ascended from the the other side having some fine views towards the Big Buachaille, and its smaller compatriot with the rest of Glencoe opening up as we gained height. Views all around that day- took 205 photos, deleted few though :lol:
It is a pity is was as misted up there, you will have to go back and enjoy on a blue sky day to savour scenery :lol: Glad you didn't miss your chicken dinner :)
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Bod » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 am

Well done you pair! A great weekend, it has to be said :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Nigel,

Glad to hear the pollo asado was good! :D

A nice wee set of photos there from a nice wee short day. Cheers for the company!

old danensian wrote:After all, I was out with someone who teaches other people this sort of stuff so I ought to get it right.

Yes. Mea culpa there too. Guilty as charged Your Honour of not practising what I preach! As someone who does teach this sort of stuff to kids, as you point out, I should have been true to my own maxim. As a teacher (not just of this stuff but stuff in general, how often do I tell them it is fine to make mistakes, less fine to keep repeating them! I had a perfectly good map and compass with me and the ability to use them but, perhaps due in part to the still lingering fog in my head, chose to keep my paws in my nice toasty pockets and walk on in blind faith...... So easy to do when someone else is beside you and also willing to cut a few corners for the sake of the chicken! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby nathan79 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Looks like it was a fine day out for you two, mistakes aside.

Much to Monty's delight, between the cloud and the bogginess I decided to leave this Corbett for another day. :lol:
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland