walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hangover Part 3 - The Walkhighland November Meet up

The Hangover Part 3 - The Walkhighland November Meet up

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 24/11/2012

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Driving down Saturday morning to my first Walkhighland Meet, I was exciting to finally meet some of the people I have only known from online conversations.I did not really had any expectations, but imagined an excited bunch of ready to go hillwalkers, on my arrival after 9am on Saturday morning. :D :D :D
Reality was slightly different... 8) :shock: :crazy: :lol:

Driving down to the bunkhouse, I got out of mu car and was greeted by a lady in her nightdress :shock: who waved wildly and invited me in the hut. Not knowing who she was at the time, I was confused :crazy: ...surely she was not one of them? Inside it looked like a Anonymous Alcoholic meeting which went pretty wrong the night before. 8) 8) 8) A great collection of half finished whisky bottles and numerous other alcoholic beverages littered the table. Another lady did the dishes and asked me..'Coffee?' The remaining bunch sat around a table, holding cups of coffee, struggling to eat breakfast (20 min to eat a bowl of cereal is amazing) . After telling everyone my name, I was greeted warmly and some remarked that they remember me from my photo (not sure if it is a good or bad thing:-) I was invited to sit down and while my brain tried to erase the bunch of ready to go hillwalkers, :roll: the door burst open and another confused member looking for his trousers, shoes, keys and various other object stumbled in. My question how he had lost it was answered with...Dont know...must have been somewhere from the pub to the bunkhouse??? :shock: :shock:
I had to dwell a while how someone might have lost his trousers, in November, on a 1 mile walk from the pub...My thoughts were again interrupted when the door to one of the rooms opened again and a human like creature (seen dead people looking more alive) came out, grunting a morning and after visiting the facilities, went straight back to bed, exposing a room of more sleeping creatures :lol: :lol:
My question how last night was, by my observations a great success, was answered in a conversation of....Great, but X sat on my face, while Y would not leave the bunkhouse, and Z tried to sleep in my bed and woudl not leave. Some female members looked a bit murderous and talked about other members who robbed them off their sleep. But everything was answered by a laugh and comments that it was a night many wont forget.

Incredibly 45min after my arrival, 10 members were ready to climb up Buachaille Etive Beg. I left with the first lot in two cars and having introduced to around 20 people within the first minutes of arrival, I was struggling to remember names, let alone matching them to their online personas. So excuse me, if I will only use a few names in the walk report...although I left some out to spare them of embarassment...we know who you are anyway :D

Arriving at the car park shortly after setting off the whole of Glencoe was covered in freshly fallen snow and looked lovely. We set off up the hill and within the first 5 minutes the 4 youngest members of my group were discussing already, when it would be time to go back to the pub, During the first hour everyone suffered, but as walking is one of the best (even though most painful) hangover cure known to man (and women) everyone recovered pretty quickly and we made a good time up the hill. We were soon joined by Val, Bod and Ritchy the dog and my group decided to greet them by throwing around 30 snowballs towards their direction (not that anyone managed to hit them in their stage of recovery, but Richy was delighted and started chasing the snowballs.
The snow soon started to thicken and it was a lot more any of us had expected, but the views across the hills were incredible and within 6 hours we completed the round of the 2 hills...not bad considering the state of hangover most of the group was in.

We were all back at the bunkhouse at 4pm and I went back to the campsite to put up my tent ( probably the best idea to get a good night sleep) I met the others around an hour later back in the bunkhouse and all resolutions of ' I will never drink again' were forgotten. Words of sorry were also uttered when many were reminded by the epics of the previous night. The second night was I guess in comparison pretty calm. Mountainstar who was hit my a huge bolder while attempting his climb up the curved ridge, looked pretty bad, but that did not stopped him to join the fun the same night he was hit. Monty was collecting a group of new girlfriends and wives and at the end of the night had everyone singing around the table when he sang his famous songs.

Thank you for everyone who made the day and night such a memorable time and for Nathan who organized everything!

And here are the photos...

DSC03887.JPG
The start was hard

DSC03889.JPG
Dramatic views

DSC03896.JPG

DSC03898.JPG

DSC03908.JPG

DSC03910.JPG

DSC03915.JPG

DSC03926.JPG

DSC03927.JPG

DSC03930.JPG

DSC03938.JPG

DSC03953.JPG

DSC03955.JPG

DSC03952.JPG

DSC03966.JPG

DSC03967.JPG

DSC03974.JPG

DSC03975.JPG

DSC03976.JPG

DSC03977.JPG

DSC03978.JPG

DSC03981.JPG

DSC03982.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03984.JPG
Last edited by Mountainlove on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The Hangover Part 3 - The Walkhighland November Meet up

Postby KeithS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks ML for posting the pictures. I will have many happy memories of a wonderful weekend.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am

Oh how I laughed at your report - Good description of the missing trousers incident.. :lol:
It was really good to meet you, even if I'd rather our first meeting wasnt in my negligee :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Louise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: what a wonderful funny report and great photos.Will keep me chuckling through the day :D

Great to meet you :)
Louise
Hill Bagger

Munros:91   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:10   

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Great to see you guys having fun up there and a really entertaining tale

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountainstar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Great pictures ML, that first paragraph had me giggling, it totally summed up the morning, oh how you must have been impressed my all the WH mountain legends! :lol:
And Oh how I wished I had done the wee Boockle! :(
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby iainwatson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 pm

great report and i'll raise my hand and admit to being the 'human like creature' that emeged from the room,sorry you had to witness that :lol:

lovely to meet you and maybe next time i'll actually make the planned walk :wink: :lol:
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 pm

A few things.....

1. Who the hell are the two women in the foreground of that last photo? :? :? :? :? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
2. Well done for persevering on Saturday morning. Others would have walked straight back out the bunkhouse door within 60 seconds of arriving.
3. I would like to offer my personal apology for my state of mind on Saturday morning. Even although I wasn't the pitiful creature you were forced to witness emerging from the dorm behind me, I was still a mere shell of a man. I assure you, as far as the hills are concerned, I am usually one of the "up and at 'em" lot on these meets. You just got me on a very bad day. My shame and self loathing knows no bounds! :lol:

Great report though ML! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:41 pm

KeithS wrote:Thanks ML for posting the pictures. I will have many happy memories of a wonderful weekend.

You are welcome, I think we will all have those happy memories :D

basscadet wrote:Oh how I laughed at your report - Good description of the missing trousers incident.. :lol:
It was really good to meet you, even if I'd rather our first meeting wasnt in my negligee :D

It was great meeting you as well...and your guitar playing was awesome!!!

Louise wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: what a wonderful funny report and great photos.Will keep me chuckling through the day :D
Great to meet you :)

Great to meet you as well Louise, I will keep a look out for you next time I am in the Clachaig!! :D

L-Hiking wrote:Great to see you guys having fun up there and a really entertaining tale
Cheers

many thanks!

mountainstar wrote:Great pictures ML, that first paragraph had me giggling, it totally summed up the morning, oh how you must have been impressed my all the WH mountain legends! :lol:
And Oh how I wished I had done the wee Boockle! :(

More than impressed :D Still cant get over the fact that you were hit by a rock...at first I thought you had a fight the night before... :lol: :lol: concidering the stories it was a possibility :lol:

iainwatson wrote:great report and i'll raise my hand and admit to being the 'human like creature' that emeged from the room,sorry you had to witness that :lol:
lovely to meet you and maybe next time i'll actually make the planned walk :wink: :lol:

Lovely meeting you as well..even if it was looking like death woken up...you improved dramatically during the evening :D

Graeme D wrote:A few things.....

1. Who the hell are the two women in the foreground of that last photo? :? :? :? :? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
They were picked up in the pub, by the younger guys of the group :lol: I think we managed to scare them away pretty quickly 8) 8)
2. Well done for persevering on Saturday morning. Others would have walked straight back out the bunkhouse door within 60 seconds of arriving.
Lol it was not that bad...just thought at the time I should have been up the night before :D
3. I would like to offer my personal apology for my state of mind on Saturday morning. Even although I wasn't the pitiful creature you were forced to witness emerging from the dorm behind me, I was still a mere shell of a man. I assure you, as far as the hills are concerned, I am usually one of the "up and at 'em" lot on these meets. You just got me on a very bad day. My shame and self loathing knows no bounds! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey I already look forward to the next meeting...this time with high expectations...although I might be disappointed if during the next time everyone is on their best behavior

Great report though ML! 8)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby nathan79 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 pm

I hadn't really given any thought to how concerning it must have been for you coing into the bunkhouse and getting first introductions to some WH members in the way you did! :lol:

Even though I didn't bother revisiting the wee Bookil's tops, it was still a fun day up in the snow, with a wee snowman as a bonus.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby RadMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Some weekend that, absolutely priceless. Never laughed so much.
What must others think when they read this i dont know! Haha
Great to see new faces and some old. Bring on the next one!
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Postby fipriestley » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 pm

:lol: :lol: Great report ML, made me laugh! We were up and away before you arrived so only caught some of the sights you describe :lol: Great weekend though! :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Mountainlove wrote:It was great meeting you as well...and your guitar playing was awesome!!!

Wheisht yer sh**e :lol: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby scoob999 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Really funny report ML :lol:
Sounds funny reading it, living through it was a different story :shock: :lol: no sure if i'll ever catch up on the lost sleep :? We were lucky, we only witnessed stevie at 7 am sitting slouched on a chair snoring! :shock: :lol:

It was a brill weekend though :D sorry me and fi never got a chance to introduce ourselfs :( next time though :D
to many people to catch up with and not enough time :(
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby laconic surf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:38 pm

:lol: :lol:
Very funny report ML!
Negligee's, sitting on people's faces, missing trousers - could make a film out of that - Carry On Up the Clachaig :lol:
Nice meeting you on Saturday night. Great report 8) :clap:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland