walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carrock Fell & High Pike

Carrock Fell & High Pike

Postby Phooooey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:27 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike (Northern Fells)

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell, High Pike

Date walked: 10/11/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 500m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carrock Beck ford - Carrock Fell - High Pike - Disused mine - Carrock Beck ford

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast for this Saturday had changed on the websites almost hourly for the entire week. We didn't know what was in store for us as we travelled to the opposite corner of the Lake District to Mungrisdale at the base of the Blencathra range. Parking up just after the ford over Carrock Beck, we climbed out of the car into the first and fortunately the last little shower of the day (for the walk anyway, it was "persistent"ing down for almost the entire journey home).

We crossed the beck not at the ford like any normal person might but 20 or so metres up the track using a number of very slippery stones before picking up a distinct, clear track that headed up to the right of Carrock Fell summit. The ground underfoot was wet but firm for the climb considering the amount of water the grass was holding.
A quick hop onto the rock summit on our left and after a few photos we hunkered down in the shelter out of an increasing chilly wind for a quick bite and a drink.

The walk out along the ridge to High Pike was boggy but not unpleasant and the sun even put in an appearance. Nice views out to Blencathra & Skiddaw that had cloud bed caps on their summits were on our left and our remaining path round High Pike and down the disused mine tracks showed on the right.
One of the best points about this walk is you can see the entire journey from just about every point on the walk.

Damson got her normal trig point photo on High Pike and then a couple more on the stone bench before we set off down the old mining path through the disused mine and back along Carrock Beck to the car.

Although not as inspiring or naturally as beautiful as some others in the district, Carrock Fell & High Pike offer great views over the northern valleys towards Penrith and Scotland and the back of Blencathra and Skiddaw. A nice little walk with little difficulty.

John heading up to rock summit of Carrock Fell
High Pike from Carrock Fell (picture shows 75% of entire walk today)
Looking back down to car and buildings below Carrock Fell
Damson in new coat on Carrock Fell
Carrock Fell summit with cloud capped Blencathra in background
Damson & I on Carrock Fell
Damson on windy High Pike trig point
Damson on High Pike trig point with Carrock Fell in background
Damson & I on High Pike summit
Damson on High Pike stone bench
Lone tree in disused mine
Carrock Fell silhouette in midday sun
Old mine tracks heading down from High Pike
Last edited by Phooooey on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phooooey

Hewitts:111
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Carrock Fell & High Pike

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 pm

That's a bobby dazzler of a coat Damsons got on Phoooey.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Another enjoyable walk and photos, Craig :thumbup:

I just had a big smile as I looked at Damson in that "amazing technicolour dreamcoat" :lol: :lol: Fantastic and I hope it kept her nice and warm :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:04 pm

Great stuff Phooooey, good to see Damson in her flashy new coat, though she doesn't look to impressed with the trig point pose :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Phooooey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks all,

Damson's more than happy at staying a touch warmer, especially in the biting wind atop High Pike.
After Scafell in the snow, I had to get her something ready for this weekend ! :?

It is a little bit more colourful than I was expecting but its a great little coat and exactly the right size. :D
It's going to take a lot of washes in the coming months if she's in and out of as many bogs, so the colours may fade a touch :wink:
Phooooey

Postby garyhortop » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Nice report Phooey and some good photo's again...gotta say they were all out shone by Damson's new coat!! Although can't say she looked too happy - especially on the trig point! :D

Strangely, I was the other side of Keswick on Sunday....managed to squeeze a quick Wainwright in at Cat Bells and it was a really nice day for it! Will be writing the report up when the photo's arrive from the Step son! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby Phooooey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks Gary

Damson was a lot happier on terra firma rather than perched on that trig point :lol:
We got away with the worst of the weather by staying north. My wife said it poured down all day back on the Furness Peninsula.
Catbells is a great little fell, as is the rest of that ridge up to High Spy. It eases somewhat after the first clamber and rolls out over the cliff faces over looking Hindscarth and Dale Head. Great walk !!
Looking forward to your photos ! :)
Phooooey

Postby Circles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Yep...the awkward pose makes me think that metal cap on the trig point was just too cold to sit on :lol:
Circles
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:90   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland