walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach

Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach

Postby gman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 29/11/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

beinn a chaorainn 29-11-2012 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did the Easains ridge 2 days before in clag, was in two minds about heading back up as the forecast was cloudy again - glad I did as it was clear and I finally saw where I'd been on Tues :)

Parked at the start of the forestry track, was solid with icy patches so I thought I'd avoid the boggy bits, small cairn marking start of the path through trees:

The trees had protected the mud from frost so it was like walking through soggy weetabix, stile at the end:

Straight uphill from here, deer for company:

Might be boggy here in warmer weather, soon patches of snow appeared with more on Meall Clachaig:

Back to reservoir:

Had a look over to the descent from Beinn Teallach, Grey Corries looking good:

Snow had blown over rocks so it varied in depth, was heavy going when it got deep so I played hopscotch between rocky patches. View back down:

Eventually got to the top, 3 bumps on the ridge with cairns on each and not too steep in between:

Kept clear of cornicing at the edge, view back from 3rd cairn:

Then headed down to the bealach, snow actually made the descent easier and less boggy. Tried a bumslide but snow wasn't firm enough so had to walk :D

More pics of the Easain ridge since I missed it in clag :lol: :

Down to the cairn and start of Beinn Teallach. Felt like it would have been very boggy here, but it was frozen so I just went straight across and started zig-zagging up:

Bit cloudier now and a couple of flecks of snow appeared, didn't come to anything though. The walk up Beinn Teallach was steeper and I had to take a few breaks between slogging up in the snow. It was rockier and a bit more interesting though :D .

Dual cairn thing going on at the top, the second one looked bigger so that must be the summit? :lol:

I'd seen the descent was on a gentle gradient, again it felt like it would have been a bog trudge in warmer weather but was easy today:

Crossed the stream here as I'd heard it could be tricky later on. There's a path on the other side, was very icy and narrow with a drop to the burn below.

Then back to the forestry, dodgy looking stile next to an open gate and back to the start. Finally got some views and a chance to use the polarising filter I'd got for 16 quid off Amazon :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach

Postby soapy27 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Some cracking photos there :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby Graeme D » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:15 pm

I'll second that - stunning pictures! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 am

excellent set of photos and some lovely colour in the early sun :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:36 am

Cheers, ideal conditions for photies - just had to hold the camera straight which I managed a good 20% of the time :D
gman

Postby quoman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi gman...Timely report heading up there tomorrow would it be ok to cross the river further down instead of where you crossed nice picture's by the way.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 pm

quoman wrote:Hi gman...Timely report heading up there tomorrow would it be ok to cross the river further down instead of where you crossed nice picture's by the way.

Probably, I'd read reports where people had to backtrack upstream so I just crossed when I saw a safe bit. There's a wire fence just before the place I crossed, but it's not high or barbed. Didn't get a close look further down but think it would be OK - have a good one & don't blame me if you get wet boots! :D
gman

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland