walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Badandun Hill an ideal winter stroll, with great views.

Badandun Hill an ideal winter stroll, with great views.

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 01/12/2012

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 8.62 km

Ascent: 444m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A long lie in, by mistake :( , meant a nearby hill on a cold yet frosty morning :D . Further delays with a visit to the local bakers to pick up some rolls meant I was not about to start the walk until nearly midday :( , ooops. Careful driving up towards Glen Isla taking all the known shortcuts but being aware that there was ice about in abundance :crazy: . I headed towards Badandun Hill which is just beyond Folda and before the bridge over the river Isla at Little Forter, beyond the bridge lies Forter Castle. At the start there is sufficient parking spaces for a few cars at the roadside :) . The start of the walk is also part of the Cateran Trail (section 3).
1.JPG
A good solid style at the left of a large aluminium gate
2.JPG
A good track to walk on and soon has another track leading off to the Right this goes to Auchintaple Loch, you proceed straight on
3.JPG
View looking up Glen Isla with the corbett Monamenach on the Left
4.JPG
You soon reach a gate with a walking style on the left. After a short while you come to a Y junction in the track, the right one is part of the Cateran Trail, you proceed on the left track. This track eventually leads you directly to the Trig point
5.JPG
Mount Blair in the background
6.JPG
Also looking back Auchintaple Loch
7.JPG
Good track with some icy patches continues, winding away between the peat hags, just as well there is a track really, makes for faster climbing.
8.JPG
New fencing being erected by the estate, nearly at the summit now
9.JPG
Trig point on the summit
10.JPG
Glenshee hills
11.JPG
Mount Blair from the summit
Attachments
12.JPG
Another view up Glen Isla

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Badandun Hill an ideal winter stroll, with great views.

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 pm

You didnae find my missing sporks by any chance did you? I did it in August sunshine ...... with a zip open on my pack. That was the last I ever saw of the sporks which lived in that pocket! Looks like a nice one for the winter too. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Graeme D wrote:You didnae find my missing sporks by any chance did you? I did it in August sunshine ...... with a zip open on my pack. That was the last I ever saw of the sporks which lived in that pocket! Looks like a nice one for the winter too. :D

Graeme D, I remember you lost your sporks as I read your report before going :) , but I think you said it might be on the North West side that you lost them. Anyhow I WAS looking for them but probably with even the small amount of snow I would not have seen them anyhow. I had hoped to do another of YOUR hills in the afternoon (Meall Mor) at the back of Mount Blair but because of the late start, it was a no go unfortunately. From the summit to the car park in 35mins, running most of the way. It's a great wee hill for the winter, I think maybe they have done a fair bit of new laying of stones on the upper section of the track near the summit through the peat hags, maybe since you were last up.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby McLEOD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 pm

some cracking views for a wee quickie, good stuff :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for posting this one.

I must have more or less walked past it doing the Cateran Trail last year.

Looks like you had great weather as well as me on saturday.

Another one to add to the "to do" list - thanks.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Thanks for posting this one.

I must have more or less walked past it doing the Cateran Trail last year.

Looks like you had great weather as well as me on saturday.

Another one to add to the "to do" list - thanks.

Gordie, you must have climbed up about 400m of the South shoulder of Danandun doing the Cateran trail. In fact the track going up the west side of the shoulder is NOT shown on my OS map, so it must be quite new or my OS map is VERY old :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Just checked my OS and the track isn't on mine either. Then I thought about it and realised it's probably getting on for 20 years old which probably explains why I keep finding tracks that "don't exist"!!!!!!! :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Just checked my OS and the track isn't on mine either. Then I thought about it and realised it's probably getting on for 20 years old which probably explains why I keep finding tracks that "don't exist"!!!!!!! :lol:

Gordie, I think you and I have the same edition of OS map :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland