walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Antoninus Pius,The Stone of Destiny & gammy leg walker

Antoninus Pius,The Stone of Destiny & gammy leg walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm

Route description: Falkirk Wheel and Antonine Wall, near Falkirk

Date walked: 02/12/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

OK I hear you all say how can there be a link from Antoninus Pius to The Stone of Destiny to gammy leg walker,well it all started for me anyway on July 1975 when a fresh faced kid out of high school started his engineering apprenticeship with a small firm called Rollo Industries based at St Andrews Works,High Bonnybridge,mmm not much difference to 1000s of kids around this time,all leaving school all looking for work,however the owner of Rollo Industries was a man called John Rollo,nothing unsual in that I hear you say,well read on.

On Christmas morning 1950 6 Scottish Nationalists,Kay Mathieson,Gavin Vernon,Ian Hamilton,Alan Stewart,Bill Craig and Jonny Josselyn removed The Stone of Destiny from Westminster Abbey and eventualy at 2.30pm on Hogmany crossed the border back to Scotland with the stone hidden in the boot of their car,ariving in Glasgow sometime later,next problem what do they do with the stone,enter my one time boss John Rollo who agreed to hide the stone on one condition that he,and he alone would know where it was hidden.For the best part of the next 13 weeks it was hidden at St Andrews Works,in a secret compartment under the foremans office,behind a sliding wooden panel concealed by a huge lathe.It lay here until it was agreed to be returned,this happened on the 11th of April 1951 when wrapped in a Scottish Saltire it was taken to Arbroath Abbey,where it was found the next day.Here ends glw link to the Stone of Destiny,where then does Antoninus Pius come in,read on.

Antoninus Pius 138AD to 161AD,it was he who ordered the building of The Antonine Wall in 142AD it took 12 years to build,but was only occupied for no more than 20 years,the wall runs from from Old Kirkpatrick in the west to Bo"ness in the east a distance of 63km,part of the wall runs through High Bonnybridge within site of St Andrews Work,yep the same work where for 14 years I learned my engineering trade,and where The Stone of Destiny was hidden all these years ago.But wheres the link,well for more years than I care to remember I have walked this section of the wall with my curent dogs,and the dogs before them,here endeth the history lesson,now some piccies.
007.JPG
Stone was hidden here
008.JPG
Rollo Industries
009.JPG
Start of the Antonine Wall
010.JPG
Information Plaque
011.JPG
Looking east along the wall
012.JPG
Ben Vorlich & Stuc"a"Chroin
013.JPG
Icy morning
014.JPG
Ochil Hills
018.JPG
Easy walking above & south of the wall
019.JPG
Falkirk Wheel & The Ochils
020.JPG
Falkirk Wheel
023.JPG
Upper basin,wheel & Ochils behind
024.JPG
Our "aussie" cousins have been here
025.JPG
Lower basin & wheel
027.JPG
Ochils behind with lower basin & wheeel
029.JPG
Our"irish" cousins have been here
034.JPG
Looking west along the wall
036.JPG
Looking east along the wall
039.JPG
East along the ditch
040.JPG
West on the top
041.JPG
East on the top
042.JPG
Bottom of the ditch looking east
043.JPG
Bottom of ditch looking west
044.JPG
On the wall looking east
045.JPG
On the wal looking west
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Antoninus Pius,The Stone of Destiny & gammy leg walker

Postby jonny616 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Fresh faced & pius. Who are you sitting& what have you done with my mate GLW.

Great day for a stroll. I wasnt too far off when i asked if you were sitting on it.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Lovely report thank you for sharing a bit of history...I really enjoyed it and the photos :D :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:02 pm

cool story Gammy, and some nice pictures , i always wondered if the ditch was from the foundations of the wall, but now i see that it`s not :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Cracking read Gammy and wonderful pictures of a fine wander as well as some spectacular engineering in the Falkirk Wheel - love it :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Absolutely brilliant Wullie :thumbup: :thumbup:

Missing you hunners XXXX
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby morag1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Great report gammy, fancy your boss being involved in hiding the Stone of Destiny,he must have been a bit of a character :thumbup:

Also really enjoyed hearing about Antonius Pius and seeing the photos of the wall. By a strange coincidence I have just finished a TR about walking the canal path to the Falkirk Wheel!! Mines finishes where yours starts so I will try to post it soon and the two walks and photos can be linked together :D
morag1

Postby McLEOD » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:10 pm

aye interesting, enjoyed that wee read :thumbup:
McLEOD
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:33 am

Interesting stuff... Co-incidentally I was in a pub in Glasgow's trendy West End recently, the Arlington bar, where there is a copy of the original stone, complete with handles on chains. I was chatting to the manager, who told me that of all copies of the stone, only two have a corner chipped off (this happened when it was "liberated" from the throne in 1950). The other chipped stone is the one now in Edinburgh , the official "real" stone. Or is it....?
Many years ago two boys were messing about in the hills near Scone. A landslip had opened up a cavity in the hillside, downhill from the site of an old fort. The boys climbed inside, hoping for old swords, chests of treasure etc., but all they found was a wee white stone tablet, with short legs and inscribed with strange symbols. Disappointed at the lack of treasure, they left, leaving the strange white stone. Years later, in adulthood, one of them thought back on it and realised it was Egyptian hieroglyphics carved on white marble, fashioned into a short stool or some such object. " Legend says that the Stone of Destiny was used as a pillow by Jacob in biblical times. It was believed to have been brought to Scotland in the 9th century." A stone the size of the official stone could not be used as a pillow, but a small, fashioned marble stool could. Also legend has it that Longshanks (King Edward I ) was really given the cover for the cesspit !
Stone of Destiny Arlington Bar.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Good to see you're getting out and about gammy - how's the leg coming on ? This takes me back to days wandering around Bonnybridge - my grandfather worked in the foundry at the canal bank (Smith and Wellstood) from where it was a short walk to my grandparents' house on the iother side of the canal - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Fantastic stuff Gammy. I hope it's not too long before you're back out on the high stuff! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alan S » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Good to see you getting back out mate 8)
After reading this report I have learned 2 things about you that I didnt know.
1. You never told me about the stone of destiny story.
2. Up to now the only thing I thought you ever learned about the romans was this....
untitled.png
Bwyan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:04 am

A cracking read and a fascinating tale gammy :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ScottishLeaf » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 am

Good to see you out and about again Gammy.
Cracking wee read about my home turf, enjoyed that.
The question is, did you see the wheel move???
Nobody from Falkirk has seen it move!!! lol

My auld man used to work just down the road from Rollo's in the Broomside Foundry, known as The Puzzle. I used to walk a bit of this route to go up and meet him then go for a fly pint in The Brig Inn before coming home! :lol:
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 am

jonny616 wrote:Fresh faced & pius. Who are you sitting& what have you done with my mate GLW.

Great day for a stroll. I wasnt too far off when i asked if you were sitting on it.

Dinnae worry mate,still here.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland