walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Middle aged lambs found leaping around Braemar!!

Middle aged lambs found leaping around Braemar!!

Postby dektasker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 02/12/2012

Time taken: 5.45 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 648m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is something really special about Braemar , the Linn of Dee and the Munros surrounding. You walk for miles to get to the hills and as always, awesome scenery. That’s been a couple of times we have seen the deer. This time a whole herd, these beasts are huge.

Gerry and I did Carn a’ Mhaim yesterday as our first winter walk. Our first walk in the area was Devils Point away back in October (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26108) , which is exceptional. I have a few cracking photographs from the trip to Devils point. You can view them at
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjCs1QUF

Noticed the path was excellent, therefore we took our bikes to Derry Lodge for the walk to Carn a’Mhaim. Some part of the ground was as slippery as a snake in wet grass which made for a few entertaining moments. Particularly as Gerry had a new bike but he had not tightened the handle bars!! Got off the bike at Derry Lodge, stepped down, took a few steps, slipped and landed on my coccyx. How I managed to land on a bony point with a rucksack on my back I’ll never know.

Derry Lodge must have been wonderful in its day. It is a shame that someone cannot renovate this classic Victorian building.
Derry_Lodge by dektasker, on Flickr

You cross the bridge at Derry Burn and the views along the path are breath taking. Gerry and I were up early and it shows with the great colours seen in these photos.
Derry_Lodge+Path_Carn_a_Mhaim_1 by dektasker, on Flickr

The path is great but in winter a bit slippery especially past Derry Lodge and too many hidden dangers for a bike. We dropped the bikes off at Derry Lodge and headed on foot. Only to be passed by a guy, who must be a circus entertainer on his bike, giving it big welliess!!
Path_Carn_a_Mhaim_2 by dektasker, on Flickr

Path_Carn_a_Mhaim_1 by dektasker, on Flickr

We followed the path along to the burn but decided not to cross as the rocks looked very slippery and the water was a bit deep and looked freezing. A small detour took us up to Luibeg bridge and then a faint path takes you to I think the Lairig Ghru path. The path splits and we took the right path up towards Carn a’ Mhaim. A good path even in the snow. Eventually the snow covering the ground hides the path and it is a case of route one.
RouteUp.jpg
Part of the Route. Some parts the snow was waist high.

Krusty Krab would have been proud, as we side stepped up route one. Reminded me of one of my favourite bands Run DMC and walk this way!!. Anyway this was hard going and what a steep climb up. Must be hard in good weather but walking in snow (up to 130cm deep) had me thinking why do we love this frozen water so much!! (You take 12 steps but lucky if you have moved 12 feet). The answer was not long in coming. Once at the summit the views along Lairig Ghru is awesome
Braeriach_Angels_Toul_Lairig_Ghru_1 by dektasker, on Flickr

with Devils point,
Derek_Devils_Point by dektasker, on Flickr

Devils_Point by dektasker, on Flickr

Cairn Toul, The Angels Peak (Sgor an Lochain Uaine) and Braeriach, looking spectacular with their covering of icing sugar.
Cairn_Toul_Angels_Peak_Braeriach by dektasker, on Flickr

Then there are the views to Ben Macdui and the Cairn Gorms
Macdui_Cairn_Gorm_ by dektasker, on Flickr

and to the side of Devils point Glen Seusachan.
Glen_Seusachan by dektasker, on Flickr

Somewhere there is a Bothy down here!!
Bothy__ by dektasker, on Flickr

You are absolutely spoilt for choice and despite the hard slog, feeling very privileged to be there, particularly on a gorgeous day.

Think we broke every rule in the book on the way back. It was pure white virgin snow till two middle aged men decided that they would leap like lambs in the snow making huge foot prints and turning the clock back 40 years. Best fun for ages. There is definitely something about the snow that brings the child out in you.

On the way back we passed a few walkers going up. One guy in particular looked like we must have, sweat dripping, face as red as a lobster in boiling water and no doubt thighs on fire. The slog is worth it and cannot wait for the next trip up to this area but will probably wait till spring time.

Recommended you take a bike if you are walking in this area. The paths are very good and suitable even for a message bike (if you are old enough to remember these you’re doing well). This knocks a good 1.5 to 2 hours off your trip and with the long walk in, well worth biking.

If you like looking at phots, there are pleny more at http://flic.kr/ps/22Y8Bk. Enjoy the photos and hopefully catch you up the hills sometime.
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Re: Middle aged lambs found leaping around Braemar!!

Postby Jonay » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Great pictures.. sorry I didn't have time to read the full report - but it's certainly made me excited for my trip up there on Thursday
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Bod » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Magical :D :D :D
Great you had so much fun playing in the snow, stunning pictures across and along the Lairig Ghru :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:05 am

Great TR and pictures. :clap: :clap:

I was not too far away from where you were on Sunday - although I did not travel as far - just went up Sor Mor from Linn of Dee (only had half a day to save my brownie points!!!). Left early too (7ish ) probably saw you in car park!!

What a day though - i wish all outing to the hills could be this good :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
wilkiemurray

Postby Fudgie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:40 am

dektasker wrote:Think we broke every rule in the book on the way back. It was pure white virgin snow till two middle aged men decided that they would leap like lambs in the snow making huge foot prints and turning the clock back 40 years. Best fun for ages. There is definitely something about the snow that brings the child out in you.

We did something similar on Sunday and when I tell non hillwalking folk, they look at me like I'm daft :lol:

Excellent pictures :thumbup:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby morag1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Love this report and photos 8)
morag1

Postby old danensian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Memories of views like that make it all worthwhile - evn the thigh-deep snow plodding and two steps up, three slips back.

Thanks for sharing.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 pm

A stunning collection of photos :D Loved this hill, even though it was a clagged up day when I did it. Seeing views like you had makes we want to return :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ruby the dog » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:36 am

Great trip report and fantastic photos Dek. Wish I could have been there. Hopefully next time.
ruby the dog
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland