walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Gambler by Kenny Rogers

The Gambler by Kenny Rogers

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean)

Date walked: 04/12/2012

Time taken: 4.56 hours

Distance: 10.63 km

Ascent: 830m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I picked these two hills for winter conditions so the bog would be frozen over,so away we went 6am in rottiewalkers car up the A9 nothing to say about that journey that's not been said :lol: .

Got to the parking place at the start of the walk quite a wee space maybe 4 cars so on with the gear and away we went through the gate up the nice track for about 20mins then i was looking for the path through the wood which was marked by a wee cairn but i coudn't fine it because of the snow but we could see a gap in the trees so of we went,half way through the woods Alec looked to his left and found the correct path we were only 50ft of it.Got to the style and the hill opened up right in front of us the weather was fantastic clear blue skies no wind the only thing was the soft deep snow it started ankle deep till about the 500mtr mark then Knee deep,then every other step going thigh deep even the dog was strugling in the conditions trying to pull herself out of the snow at this point Alec said i think we will only do the one today i agreed we were only at about 650mtr by this time.

As we climb it was thigh deep all the time really energy sapping it was that bad Alec was sweating :lol: :lol: he never sweats on the hills...what kept us going was the views every time you turned round they were stunning made the broad ridge and even the walk along this was Knee deep most of the way to the summit sat at the summit for 20 mins had a talk about whether to carry on or head back the way we came the second option won we just followed over foot prints all the way back.as for the title of this walk KENNY ROGERS said "you got to know when to hold them know when to fold them" so that's what we did FOLDED ON THIS OCCASION :lol: :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC03555.JPG
carpark
DSC03558.JPG
track through the woods
DSC03557.JPG
Alec througth woods
DSC03559.JPG
over the style
DSC03560.JPG
the hills at Loch Trieg
DSC03560.JPG
the hills at Loch Trieg
DSC03561.JPG
DSC03565.JPG
Some of the Mamores
DSC03567.JPG
rottiewalker on the way up
DSC03570.JPG
panno
DSC03573.JPG
back to loch treig
DSC03576.JPG
more views
DSC03579.JPG
Qouman
DSC03580.JPG
another panno
DSC03585.JPG
along the ridge
DSC03586.JPG
first cairn
DSC03589.JPG
DSC03591.JPG
summit
DSC03594.JPG
on way down
DSC03596.JPG
the stats
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: The Gambler by Kenny Rogers

Postby pigeon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm

That's a pity about not getting to the second Munro Quoman,it's a fair drop between these if i remember right so would have been tough in the deep stuff :shock: Some braw views all the same,good effort by the pair of you and the dug :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:11 pm

Cheers pigeon thats what we thought about the drop and walk across to Teallach the dug was srtuggling as were we :lol: so back up on saturday to do it without the dug.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby Tomsie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Nice photo's Wullie, looks like some of the day was good for ye.
Did ya fall off that the elevation is -4mts :lol:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Nice one quoman. Did this one in the snow myself a couple of years ago and need to return to complete the round. Hopefully I'll enjoy some of the views you did :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 pm

Is that Santa in the 1st pick mate.

PS,crackin pics.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:43 am

Firstly let me say how disappointed I am that this report didn't begin with "On a worm summers evening, on a train bound for nowhere" :lol: :lol: but that disappointment aside this is a cracker Quoman. As someone who spent the day trudging through deep snow today I feel your pain, sometimes it's right to knock it on the head. Still a great day with some stunning views mate :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby gman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:11 am

That's a lot more snow than when I was there last Thurs - I was thinking of going back up & doing the Beinn a'Chlachair 3 today, but I know when to walk away and when to run :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ceaser » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 am

hoping to do these 2 on saturday wullie ,hope the path you trampled down is still there for us :wink:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby morag1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Quoman, sounds like a lot of hard work but you got some great photos :clap:

As Kenny says, it's a bit of a gamble, well done you on knowing how to play it :D
morag1

Postby quoman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm

PeteR wrote:Nice one quoman. Did this one in the snow myself a couple of years ago and need to return to complete the round. Hopefully I'll enjoy some of the views you did :D

Cheers Peter...the views were fantastic i could have taken hundreds of pic's just of loch treig hills.

Tomsie wrote:Nice photo's Wullie, looks like some of the day was good for ye.
Did ya fall off that the elevation is -4mts :lol:

Hi John, the day was a GIDYIN :lol: :lol: about the -4mtrs the picture was taken from ma submarine :lol: :lol:

gammy leg walker wrote:Is that Santa in the 1st pick mate.

PS,crackin pics.

That's Alec wi his new D2b skiing trouser's and matching top he wouldny get lost on the hills wi them on :lol: :lol:

ChrisW wrote:Firstly let me say how disappointed I am that this report didn't begin with "On a worm summers evening, on a train bound for nowhere" :lol: :lol: but that disappointment aside this is a cracker Quoman. As someone who spent the day trudging through deep snow today I feel your pain, sometimes it's right to knock it on the head. Still a great day with some stunning views mate :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: Aye Chris i can feel your pain to, and ive always said the hills will be there for another day.the views were the best ave had for a while.

gman wrote:That's a lot more snow than when I was there last Thurs - I was thinking of going back up & doing the Beinn a'Chlachair 3 today, but I know when to walk away and when to run :D

Aye gaman there were no footprint anywhere on the hill we had plenty of time left to do Beinn Teallach but nae puff left :lol: :lol:

ceaser wrote:hoping to do these 2 on saturday wullie ,hope the path you trampled down is still there for us :wink:

Hi ceaser iam going backup to do Beinn Teallach on saturday you will no see ma footprints because more snow on the way :lol: .

morag1 wrote:Hi Quoman, sounds like a lot of hard work but you got some great photos :clap:

As Kenny says, it's a bit of a gamble, well done you on knowing how to play it :D

Hi morag... it was alot of hard work but worth it for the views PS i dinny even like Kenny Rogers :lol: :lol: dont know how that song popped into ma head :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:57 pm

You only made the one cause of the dodgy tash :lol: :lol:

Great photos :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:42 am

jonny616 wrote:You only made the one cause of the dodgy tash :lol: :lol:

Great photos :clap:

Cheers mate the tash is still on ma ugly coupon :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby Fudgie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:55 am

Excellent stuff quoman :clap:

I'm tired reading ti though :lol: Another pair I'm considering doing next week.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby quoman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Cheers Fudgie...There a fine pair nae pun intended :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland