walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

To Tulaichean and beyond

To Tulaichean and beyond

Postby old danensian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 02/12/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1070m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday looked like it was going to be the last day of the recent cold and bright weather, so it was an opportunity not to be missed.

My list of unvisited singles was scanned and an icy snatch was planned on Beinn Tulaichean. There was also the added advantage of going on to Cruach Ardrain to capture the view that had eluded me eighteen years ago. I could exorcise the ghost of thrashing around in the clag optimistically hoping, in pre-GPS days, that the top had actually been reached.

CA-01.jpg
Morning moon over Stob Coire an Lochain

Once off the A84, a slithery, snaking start was made up the icy road towards Inverlochlarig. Horses huddled shivering in little groups under their blankets, a red squirrel stood out marvellously on the frosty white of the road surface and the early morning pink sunlight tipped Stob Coire an Lochain under the waning moon. It was a perfectly enticing winter morning: bring it on.

CA-02.jpg
A chilly morning valley ready to emerge

Out in the cold and beyond the farm I was lured up to the warmth of the sunshine on Beinn Tulaichean. At times on the lower slopes there was just a little give in the frozen ground to remind of the bog-fest beneath: quite a relief to avoid wet feet at the start of the day.

CA-03.jpg
Ben More and Stob Binnein from lower slopes of Beinn Tulaichean

CA-04.jpg
It's still a potentially dark and gloomy place

I followed a variety of tracks to pick my way through the craggier upper reaches and welcomed the fact there was no succession of false tops. The angle eased off and the summit was in sight a couple of hundred metres away as the view opened out: far, far more than the twin peaks of Ben More and Stob Binnein, against which upward progress had been measured.

CA-05.jpg
Lookig back down past Loch Voil to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

CA-06.jpg
Summit of Beinn Tulaichean ahead

A penetrating chill was no encouragement to linger. The panoramic views in all directions certainly tempted a saunter, while a succession of bristles on the horizon illustrated the popularity of Cruach Ardrain.

CA-07.jpg
Across to Cruach Ardrain

CA-08.jpg
An Caisteal from bealach between Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain

Just forty five minutes later, after sticking to the crest of the ridge to maximise the views, I arrived at the second munro of the day: my “confirmation” top. It was no longer a clag-shrouded day from a decade or two ago, I was now reassured to be on the top as well as rewarded.

CA-09.jpg
Cruach Ardrain

My return to the glen below and the track to Inverlochlarig followed the snow trails descending directly from the small saddle between the two tops of Cruach Ardrain rather than the bealach on the way back to Beinn Tulaichean. The gradient, depth and condition of the snow safely and easily opened the way down before tracks snaked between crags and outcrops to emerge below the snowline and to the track back to Inverlochlarig.

CA-10.jpg
Looking back up to Cruach Ardrain from tracks to the glen Inverlochlarig

After two consecutive snowy weekends out, it looks like the winter has well and truly begun.
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Re: To Tulaichean and beyond

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Lovely stuff Nigel 8) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Nice report and photos OD :D Haven't been to these parts in a while now, but they look good with a covering of snow :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Graeme D » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 pm

Lovely work Nigel. Reminds me that I really need to get out more! :wink:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby andyfitz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:34 am

Cracking wee report. Like your pics. I was up there the same day from same starting point. Ideal day of the type we will see too few of over the winter. 8)
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:43 am

Great stuff Nigel
Almost exact conditions to myself 20 years ago..... "nostalgia's not what it used to be" :wink:

Thanks for the report & pics
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:44 am

Great stuff! You had a much better day for it that we did about a month ago: we had some very entertaining navigation to find the col between Stob Garbh and Cruach Ardrain, and then over an hour of swimming to the top of CA!

IMG_2073.JPG
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland