walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birnham Hill

Birnham Hill

Postby psticks » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Route description: Birnam Hill, Birnam

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Birnam Hill - King's Seat

Date walked: 08/12/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 440m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCN7879.JPG
Starting off via Birnham Oaks

My pal Brian and myself decided to do Maggies Monster Bike and Hike next year. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but after a couple of 10 -13 mile walks, it has started to dawn what we have taken on. Saturday mornings have be designated a good time for practise walks. Although myself and SWMBO did Birnham Hill before, we decided to start from The Taybank, do the Birnham Oaks walk along the river then cross the A9 and continue up and over Birnham Hill. Although it was quite cold and frosty at the river level there was a good six inches of powder at least on the top of Birnham Hill. My new Pacer Trekking Poles brought recently with the snow baskets were a great advantage pushing myself up the hill and then keeping my footing planted on the slippery ice under the snow on the descent. I would heartily recommend them.

DSCN7890.JPG

Perth and Kinross-20121208-00561.jpg
Walking back to the car park we came across a couple of Reindeer as you do this time of year!

Perth and Kinross-20121208-00560.jpg
And then Brian found a Christmas Fairy!! LOL! No it was a Christmas Fair in Dunkeld.

All in all a great walk in seasonal weather, linking the two walks worked well.
psticks
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Birnham Hill

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:09 am

Good luck with the bike and hike guys....hope the photos from it are less surreal than the reindeer and the Christmas fairy :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby psticks » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks Scotjamie, it was a weird end to the walk and I didn't take any photos of the elves either!, :shock: :lol:

We will be raking the site for walks between 15 - 20 miles for training for Maggies. Although reading the reports on the Great Glen walk, it's not too hilly, so looking for undulating than big climbs, anyone have any ideas? :D
psticks
Hill Bagger

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Have a look at the Loch Ordie tracks from the Cally Car Park in Dunkeld. Nice and close to Perth and you can do any distance from around 10 - 22 miles depending on the route you choose.

I've been using these tracks for the last two years in preparation for doing a combination of the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way next May and I'm there at least once a week. Despite continuous use, I never get bored as the scenery is great and the tracks are good.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby psticks » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks Gordie12, I'll check them out. :D :D

Its a matter of finding somewhere different so you dont get bored and staying off the roads.

Thanks again.
psticks
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland