walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You Wait Ages For Two Good Days...

You Wait Ages For Two Good Days...

Postby Fudgie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Odhar

Date walked: 10/12/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6.4 km

Ascent: 627m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

... and then two come along at once. After last weeks great weather on Beinn Narnian I was hoping for more of the same this week as I have a few days off work and wanted to make the most of it. I struggled last week due to a lack of exercise and an inabiltuy to stop eating recently so I wanted to get back into a rhythm and not too anything too strenuous. Like everyone else who drives through Tyndrum, I had seen this hill many times and today I decided I would conquer it.

The drive up was uneventful and after parking in a layby close to the WHW, I was off for 10am and dodging the ice that covered the WHW. I had seen a route on here from someone who went up past the forest and then attacked the summit from there so that looked a good way to go. Once I crossed it was steep going and I was feeling it a bit although that only gave me more reason to stop and take in the view.

DSC_6442ed by lmcf photography, on Flickr

The Target by lmcf photography, on Flickr

Once I reached the 600m mark I felt a slight breeze but it didn't really bother me and I picked my way through the snow patches following a faint path when I could. The views were stunning, particularly towards the Glen Lochay Munro's but the wind was now stronger and extremely cold. On went my hat, balaclava and sunglasses which made a big difference as the sun was hitting the snow and although I could see without any problem, I new I would feel better for putting the specs on. I also took a few pictures but I didn't hang around long.

Blue by lmcf photography, on Flickr

A Final Push by lmcf photography, on Flickr

Cold As Ice by lmcf photography, on Flickr

A Long Way Away by lmcf photography, on Flickr

The snow was the type that holds your weight until you try to change foot and then collapses beneath you but fortunately patches of grass broke it up although the higher I got, the firmer the snow got and I could march up it quite quickly. In what felt like no time at all I was on the summit with the wind still strong but not anything that was even close to affecting mobility. The views in all directions were fantastic and I'll stop typing now and let the pictures do it all with the first picture being my favourite view of the day.

Crystal Clear by lmcf photography, on Flickr

Mind The Gap by lmcf photography, on Flickr

The Neighbours by lmcf photography, on Flickr

A Burst by lmcf photography, on Flickr

A Hardy Bunch by lmcf photography, on Flickr

Very reluctantly I left the summit and started heading back towards the car. I was at the 2hr 20 minute mark and thought I would be about 2 hours back to the car. The snow covered slopes meant I could take great big strides down the hill and via a short walk along a very icy West Highland Way, I was back at the car 1hr 10 mins after leaving the summit which was a surprise.

Thats The Way It Is by lmcf photography, on Flickr

At one point this morning I thought about not going at all but I'm glad I did as not only did I have the hill to myself, I had views that were worth driving lots of hours for, not the 60 minutes exactly it took me to get up there with the same time getting me home. We are completely spoiled in this country and at a point in the day when I couldn't hear a single sound, I really didn't want to be anywhere else. Now all I need to decide is where I'm going the rest of the week 8)
Attachments

Odhar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: You Wait Ages For Two Good Days...

Postby David-Main » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Fantastic pictures fudgie :thumbup:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby quoman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Quality picture's... from the road it looks a steep hill.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 pm

quoman wrote:Quality picture's... from the road it looks a steep hill.

It's not too bad although if you were ascending it straight up the front, it would feel like it. I would say the best way is to ascend past the forest and descend down the front.

Cheers David.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland