walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Giorra Getaway

Giorra Getaway

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 10/12/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 850m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My inadequate navigation and Winter skills don't yet allow me to pick and choose my Winter days on the hills but the local outdoors base is a fantastic means therefore, to develop the appropriate skills and experience.

We headed off from the central belt not long after 7am and, with due regard for the low temperatures and possibility of ice on the roads closer to our destination, opted for a route in off the A9 via Aberfeldy and Kenmore through the Sma' Glen, over the alternatives of Lairige or Lochay.

We encountered significantly hard-packed ice on the road on the way into Giorra Dam and opted to park-up at the metal gate and walk the rest of the way to the dam. Suited and booted (there was already a stiff and very cold wind blowing), we were on our way along the fairly treacherous road surface by 9.45am. I spotted a large head of deer on the ridge between Carn Lairig Meachdainn and Creagan nan Gobhar, these would be down by the roadside when we returned and included a number of well-endowed (antler-wise) stags!

Kit included helmet, crampons and ice axe, with time on the hill allowed for practising winter skills. At the dam wall, the wind really began to bite and there was a fair chop on the water.

Despite the promise of sunny, yet windy, conditions the skies loomed grey up the glen and there were a few spots of rain at this point, forcing a massed donning of waterproofs (I was glad of the extra wind-proofing this brought more than anything else)

We set out on the hill and, as it often is, it's a fairly steep old slog to begin with (some traversing in damp, muddy conditions thrown in for good measure) although, this is evened-out by the relatively high start-point and good steps. We had a short way to go to the top of the corrie when, unfortunately, one of our party felt unwell and had to descend, accompanied by one of our "guides".

We plodded on up and over the top of the corrie and passed over the cairns on the way up. Some of the more sheltered, lower reaches of the hill and in sections of the plateau, held fairly deep accumulations of snow though, the deepest were reserved for the final push towards the summit, by which time ice axes were in hand (crampons and helmets remained in the bag for the remainder of the ascent and also the descent as, the winter skills were eschewed in favour of a swifter return to the van in the interests of our co-walker).

Beneath the summit, which had been visible until this point, the clag moved in and we resigned oursleves to no views from the top however, by the time we'd made the final push it had lifted and moved on opening up decent views in every direction. Sadly, my preparations had not extended to fully charging my camera or my mobile so I managed only one more picture, of Stuch'd an Lochain from my phone once descended, and my mate just e-mailed me a summit pic (with the clag disappearing down Glen Lyon)

I'm afraid you'll just have to take my word for it that the views down over Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin and up to glens Coe and Nevis, etc., were breathtaking in the now bright, sunny conditions (although the wind was still blasting icily over the summit).

We descended via the same route, albeit with a very slight detour to top-out Sron Chona Choirein, passing parties of three and two on their way up.

A good day out in the snow again and we were back at the van before 4pm, where the other two had managed to chip away at the ice on the road in and get the van a bit closer to the dam...happy days!

Oh yeah, the name of the dam reminded me of this wee number...

...hence the dodgy thread title

STOP PRESS
Some more pics, courtesy of mate with camera (of, I think, hills above Loch Lyon and back-end of Orchy hills)

And a few more, just in, still awating the ones with the best of the views though...

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Giorra Getaway

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Pity about the camera battery :( , quite a day for some dramatic photographs.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Pity about the camera battery :( , quite a day for some dramatic photographs.

Thanks, rodmeister. It was indeed a fine day for it...as long as you had a steady hand in the wind.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby alfie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:39 pm

hi, never seen a thing when a climbed this hill but al be back cos ur pics show me wot a missed! :) by the way how totally brilliant are STIFF LITTLE FINGERS?thanks for that bud a really enjoyed it! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am

alfie wrote:hi, never seen a thing when a climbed this hill but al be back cos ur pics show me wot a missed! :) by the way how totally brilliant are STIFF LITTLE FINGERS?thanks for that bud a really enjoyed it! :clap:

Hanx, Alfie.

One of those hills where, on the right day, you'll get excellent, relatively uninterrupted, views far and wide. Only thing about that is it reminds you just how many you have still to do.

Aye, SLF won't be to everyone's taste but, great band and soundtrack to my youth.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Thats looks like a lovely hill to climb...some great photos as well :-)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Avocetboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 am

BoyVertiginous wrote:
alfie wrote:hi, never seen a thing when a climbed this hill but al be back cos ur pics show me wot a missed! :) by the way how totally brilliant are STIFF LITTLE FINGERS?thanks for that bud a really enjoyed it! :clap:

Hanx, Alfie.

One of those hills where, on the right day, you'll get excellent, relatively uninterrupted, views far and wide. Only thing about that is it reminds you just how many you have still to do.

Aye, SLF won't be to everyone's taste but, great band and soundtrack to my youth.

I always had you down as a Bronski Beat kind of guy :wink:
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Thats looks like a lovely hill to climb...some great photos as well :-)

It sure was on this particular day, ML, despite the wind. Plenty of hills nearby to make a long Summer round of it as well.
Avocetboy wrote:
BoyVertiginous wrote:

Hanx, Alfie.

I always had you down as a Bronski Beat kind of guy :wink:

Damn, rumbled again. You know me, I'm just a Smalltown Boy!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland