walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Ghluasaid, Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean

Carn Ghluasaid, Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean

Postby gman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Conbhairean round

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Ghluasaid, Sàil Chaorainn, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 11/12/2012

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 17 km

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sgurrnanconbhairean 11-12-2012 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Forecast looked good yesterday so I was looking for hills doable within 8hrs of daylight and starting on a main road, which would hopefully have been gritted. First time up to Kintail for these 3.

Left the car park about 9.15, crossed the road and followed the track to the phone mast. Back to car park:

Loch Cluanie:

Path leads uphill from phone mast:

Path was icy with deepish snow further up:

Over to the descent route, not too steep on the snowy part:

Path soon became covered in snow, I had been following someone's footprints (maybe from yesterday) so could tell where it was getting deep. Fairly awkward to walk on so I headed towards the rockier bits & just went straight up instead of zig-zagging. Further up:

Carn Ghluasaid is a bit of a boring mound on top, still the snow was holding my weight more often up here so musn't grumble :D

View from the cairn at the cliffs:

Route onwards, up to Creag a'Chaorainn then Sgurr nan Conbhairean:

Looking back to Carn Ghluasaid from Creag a'Chaorainn, could walk on snow:

Or icy rock:

Towards the top of Sgurr nan Conbhairean, I actually lost my GPS here and backtracked to find it. Finally checked the rucksack and I'd put it in a different pocket d'oh :D :

Cairn at the top:

Route to 3rd Munro, Sail Chaorainn. Not much reascent to the top:

South Glen Shiel ridge:

Over to Ben Nevis:

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire:

Bit of cornicing:

Sail Chaorainn cairn, looking doon tae a wee glen:

Looking back towards Sgurr nan Conbhairean, would have to go back up to shoulder level then bypass around to the right for the descent:

The bypass path was snow-covered so I 'found' it using GPS:

Wee cairn at the end of the path:

Then turned right to the descent ridge, met another walker here who was getting some photos:

Down to a narrowish ridge with deep snow then the descent ridge to the left:

Deepish snow:

Then down the Meall Breac ridge:

Further down it got a bit craggy after the snowy bit and the path was fairly icy when we joined it. Crossed the burn lower down at the fence - there were stepping stones but they were slippy so we could compare stream crossing techniques: Andy fell over when he got safely to the other side whereas I preferred to slip up before I crossed :D Walked back along the road to frosty cars, didn't take too long so stayed light the whole time. Nice looking hills around here, hopefully be back soon :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Carn Ghluasaid, Sail Chaorainn, Sgurr nan Conbhairean

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Wowsers gman! Nice pics - love the icy summit one with the hills in the distance and the one of the cornice with your shadow in it - gee man - you have very long legs! :lol:

I have a mate who I go walking with once, maybe twice a year and a few years back we went up for Munro 2 and 3 as 10 years ago we had bagged Carn Ghlusaid when we were limited for time one afternoon. I knew nothing about hills back then. So we went up to get the two munros and my mate REFUSED to climb munro 2 :roll: and as one of his motto's is never leave your buddy on the hill, I felt it unfair to galavant off to munro 3. He did however take this picture with his phone :D and I still have Munro 3 to do :shock:

me on ghlusaid hills.jpg
A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch Choire ridge behind me
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby heatheronthehills » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Stunning photos, the conditions look perfect :D
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby soapy27 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Awesome report and photos again gman . :clap: What camera are you using ? the quality is amazing :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby gman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm

dawnfoth wrote:I have a mate who I go walking with once, maybe twice a year and a few years back we went up for Munro 2 and 3 as 10 years ago we had bagged Carn Ghlusaid when we were limited for time one afternoon. I knew nothing about hills back then. So we went up to get the two munros and my mate REFUSED to climb munro 2 :roll: and as one of his motto's is never leave your buddy on the hill, I felt it unfair to galavant off to munro 3. He did however take this picture with his phone :D and I still have Munro 3 to do :shock:

You're too considerate, I'm sure I'd have done the same...erm...probably :D
heatheronthehills wrote:Stunning photos, the conditions look perfect :D

Cheers, MWIS predicted cloud free Munros at 'greater than 90%' so I thought it was safe :D
soapy27 wrote:Awesome report and photos again gman . :clap: What camera are you using ? the quality is amazing :D

Thanks, it's an old Nikon D40 - I take loads of pics so there's usually a few OK ones that aren't too dark/squint. Recently got a polarising filter which makes a big difference on sunny days.
gman

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Gasda gu dearbh ..... excellent pictures ..1st class a bhalaich :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby ChrisW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Lovely hike and beautiful photos throughout, the second one is by far my favourite, some real stunners, I can only imagine how fantastic that must have been 'in the flesh' so to speak :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruno » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:34 pm

GMan
These photos are brilliant.
Iain
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby soapy27 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 am

Cheers gman I take its a fairly big thing?
I'm away to check out a new camera this weekend thinking about a CSC camera just for the size.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby quoman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:39 pm

What a perfect day the two of use had top drawer picture's.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm

soapy27 wrote:Cheers gman I take its a fairly big thing?
I'm away to check out a new camera this weekend thinking about a CSC camera just for the size.

It's small for a dslr, but won't fit in your pocket - I got it before I started all this hillwalking nonsense :D
gman

Postby soapy27 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Great thanks again gman, it takes a cracking photo anyway.
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Postby AJ01 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Superb photos. I found one of them very useful in allowing me to identify the location of a photo in my collection, taken many years ago without noting where I was at the time. It turns out that it was taken on the summit of Sgurr nan Conbhairean, looking NW, with the outline of the mountains closely matching your photo number 17.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out - after spending a while poring over a map - that I think that the caption on this photo is not correct, as A'Chralaig is out of the photo to the left. The pointy mountain dead centre is Mullach Fraoch-choire, while the small bump on the ridge to its left is Stob Coire na Cralaig. On its right and further away is the higher double-peak of Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan. I also remembered about the panorama-generating webpage at https://www.udeuschle.de/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm
where I generated one for this view, which confirms my identifications. I think the panorama will be available at the following link for 28 days from the date of posting here.
https://www.udeuschle.de/panoramas/pans/email/20210413_152358_873_82_69_98_231_0001.html

Angus J
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland