walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Life in the Freezer - Glen Dessarry episode two!

Life in the Freezer - Glen Dessarry episode two!

Postby John Burgess » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh, Loch Arkaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh

Date walked: 12/12/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is a limit to the length of a title in the walkhighlands forums and 'Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh' must come close to it :lol:
Opinion seems to agree that Sgurr means peak, laoidh cattle or calf, but seems divided over the rest!

However, I digress. At the end of part one (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2791) I was facing a night with the 'Hound of the Baskervilles' in A'Chuil bothy :shock:

Fortunately there are two rooms but, come the morning, my companion (who, can it be said, was a very pleasant bloke) asked for the loan of a tin opener. I had a spare from an old compo ration pack so went through to show how it was used. Mistake. Turned out it was a tin of dog food that needed opening :? Ended up with a nip on the shin for my troubles - ice axe regrettably in the room next door. Talk about ingratitude :thumbdown:

A strategic withdrawal to the hill seemed in order and I headed off through the frosted bogs.

Looking back.JPG

Even the deer seemed lethargic in the gloom.

Deer.JPG

Soon I was out of the mist and enjoying a winter sunrise on Sgurr na h-Aide (or Beinn a'Chabair as it's now known)

Sunrise.JPG

I headed towards Allt Coire nan Uth then cut off up the ridge leading east to Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh.

The views got better and better.

From the ridge 1.JPG

From the ridge 2.JPG

From the ridge 3.JPG

Rhum.JPG

Sgurr nan Coireachan.JPG

The great wall of Knoydart.JPG

The summit was a great place to be. Some Summer I want to traverse that whole ridge from Sgurr an Fhuarain to Sgurr na Ciche and Sourlies. Today was a wonderful day to lie in the sun and dream :D

Panorama 1.JPG

Panorama 2.JPG

Finally the temptation of the ridge west to Druim a Chuirn got the better of me so I moved on. It was as pleasant as it looked :D

On the ridge 1.JPG

On the ridge 2.JPG

The view back.JPG

From the end of the ridge a lovely view down Glen Kingie to Loch Garry opened up.

Glen Kingie.JPG

Loch Garry.JPG

The whole view near and far was tremendous.

Nevis.JPG

Fog.JPG

Reluctantly I headed down towards the farm at Glendessarry - slowly - too much to enjoy.

Bidein a Chabhair.JPG

Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoidh.JPG

The big freeze.JPG

The last photo says it all. In a matter of a few yards I walked into the freezer. An eerie but no less wonderful world.

Stag.JPG

Upper Glendessary.JPG

The footbridge.JPG

Reflections.JPG

A classic 'bothy night' ensued. John and Malcolm appeared with some awesome wood chopping kit and 10 kilos of coal. We placed candles in the window as a guide to whoever had left some kit earlier. They arrived, a pair of lads from Glasgow, hours after dark - weary but glowing with the experience of sunset from the ridge and Sgurr na Ciche in the dark. Tales were told, time flew, and strangers parted friends.
Last edited by John Burgess on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Life in the Freezer - Glen Dessarry episode two!

Postby benno » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Even better than the first part if I may say so myself. Love 'The Great Wall' picture, very jealous. Those last couple of pictures made my nose sting in anticipation of the cold. Another superb report, thanks!
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby John Burgess » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:02 am

[quote="benno"] 'The Great Wall' picture, very jealous.[quote]

The 'great wall' is something I've yet to do in it's entirety. I came across part of it on the Corbett I was on (plus various other places in the past). I'm left with great admiration for those who built it but can't help but wonder why.

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby mountain coward » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:47 am

Fantastic report and pics - especially the 'Great Wall of Knoydart' which brings back fond memories of mine and Richard's summer walk along those peaks :D I'm taking it the hills you did are the 'round' west of Fraochbheinn? I'm dying to do those Corbetts and Fraochbheinn and the one to it's east (Mhurlagain I think - I'm at work so can't look them up). I'm jealous too! I'm surprised the bothy was so popular at this time of year! But then it is in a good spot. Wish I'd come with you...
mountain coward

Postby gaffr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:51 am

Hello,
If it's tight for space with the... 'peak of the cave of the bonny calf' then I guess that the wee ronnie, Meallan Liath Coire Mhic Dhuighaill, above Loch More, has very little chance of fitting in. :lol: Even the translations into english for both are lengthy!
Many thanks for some reminders of Glen Dessarry.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby John Burgess » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:15 pm

mountain coward wrote:Fantastic report and pics - especially the 'Great Wall of Knoydart' which brings back fond memories of mine and Richard's summer walk along those peaks :D I'm taking it the hills you did are the 'round' west of Fraochbheinn? I'm dying to do those Corbetts and Fraochbheinn and the one to it's east (Mhurlagain I think - I'm at work so can't look them up). I'm jealous too! I'm surprised the bothy was so popular at this time of year! But then it is in a good spot. Wish I'd come with you...

Thanks MC. I actually climbed Fraoch Bheinn and Sgurr Mhurlagain on Sunday so will hopefully post a report on them in the next couple of days. Nice hills!

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Postby malky_c » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 pm

These pictures are amazing! They rather put my ones to shame(even the ones from when it wasn't raining!). I see you have a photo of the pinnacle on Druim a Chuirn. It is much less prominent than I was expecting. I remember seeing it from Sgurr Mor a few years back and thought it looked quite dicey.

I had a similar weekend to this in November 2002 (staying in A' Chuil, amazing weather, good night at the bothy). Sadly I didn't have a camera with me then.

Great report, looking forward to the Fraoch Bheinn/Sgurr Mhurlagain installment.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby doogz » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:07 pm

good show john..fine second part ...

fine photos as well

think i may have been tempted to use the tin opener on the dog if it bit me on the shin :?

but thats dogs and bothys .....

doogz 8)
doogz

Postby John Burgess » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 pm

malky_c wrote: I see you have a photo of the pinnacle on Druim a Chuirn. It is much less prominent than I was expecting. I remember seeing it from Sgurr Mor a few years back and thought it looked quite dicey.
Great report, looking forward to the Fraoch Bheinn/Sgurr Mhurlagain installment.

The pinnacle was more imposing than it appears on that photo. Can't think why I didn't get a better shot of it :?
The final installment should appear tomorrow. Getting the Christmas Tree up tonight :)

All the best,

John
John Burgess

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland