walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Whangie & The Devil's Pulpit

The Whangie & The Devil's Pulpit

by lomondwalkers » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Route description: The Whangie, Kilpatrick Hills

Date walked: 05/06/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Whangie & The Devil's Pulpit

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Stepharia wrote:Hi,

I'm just wondering if you think The Devil's Pulpit would be accessible by someone with a slight walking disability, if they take great care?

I'm not a walker, but I love being in nature and I'm also a photographer and this location is so inspiring to me ... I'd love to go, but my mobility isn't great. I am very determined, though!

Could anyone give me a realistic idea of how to get there from the road ... distances etc, so that I might determine if it's even worth a shot?

I'd really appreciate it so much!

Cheers,

Steph

Hi Steph, If you don`t mind getting wet, you could approach it the way i did, from the east side, if you carry on past where Dave has discribed you`ll come to a junction in the road leading to strathblane and park there. Cross into the field and follow down towards strathblane and go in where the river come out, widens and is much shallower, there is a small bit of climbing required( over fallen trees and some rocky bits) to get right through to were Dave entered, but even still,this side of it would still provide fantastic photo opportunites without having to climb, hope this helps
Tommy
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby shiona » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 am

I was at the Devil's Pulpit a number of years ago. I loved it. I would very much like to go back there but the last time I was there (true, it was a few years ago), the rope to help you climb down was gone but I would so much like to re-visit. When I first saw it, it was genuinely the most beautiful place I had ever seen, and I only managed once. The overhead canopy of leaves made it look and feel like a natural cathedral with a green, stained-glass roof. The water and the smoothed stones were phenominal. Is there anyone who can take me there, or show me how to get to it? It's been such a long time, I can't remember how to get there and I'm an ould fart who doesn't quite get, or for that matter, want to get the new technology which might show me the way!
shiona
Bird-watcher

Postby jogilv16 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 pm

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1054487

hi steph,this may help a gps of one of the times ive been here as ive been a few times.but where i have parked you cross the road ,but if i can remember there is a fence to get over,but not to drastic.but what you can also do is what i done also was park at the junction further up the road to killearn.go over the gate and its a walk through the field going parrarel with the road to killearn then turn and head down towards the river from here its the start of the gorge and if you dont mind getting wet you can walk a big part through it,which was great,and you get some great photos.but probably better in summer for this way.take a stick to feel your way along.
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Postby jogilv16 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1054487
you can also park at the junction turning off to killearn and walk through the field to the bottom and the opening to the gorge and if you dont mind getting wet can walk a big part through the gorge from here.
this is one of my visits to the gorge leaving at side of road.and going over the fence following a faint path to the steps down into the gorge.
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Postby tom061087 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Happened on this earlier on today, can't believe I didnt know it was there.

Was out for a stroll in Mugdock and wasn't satisfied with that so having passed the small layby with the kissing gate, a couple of miles past the queens view on the way to loch lomond so many times thought we would go and see if there was anything of interest there, went through the gate at first and went down underneath the road bridge where you can see just the very start of the gorge which was spectacular enough, back up at the road I was busy peering over the edge of the bridge when a man and his wife emerged through a hole in the fence opposite the layby - he recommended we take a walk where they had been so we did.

Nothing short of spectacular, I think this must be one of the most incredible places within such easy reach of glasgow, and based on the path doesnt look like many people know about it. I've seen plenty of similar gorges from above before but very rare to be able to decent into the bottom of them like that. The water was very low and it looked fairly straightforward to wade some distance up and down the canyon, thats something I'll save for a return trip I think.
tom061087

Munros:45   Corbetts:25
Fionas:16   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:45

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland