walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin in the snow

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin in the snow

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 27/12/2012

Time taken: 5.35 hours

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 1239m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'd hoped to go up here last Saturday - but the weather was not permitting. Then I tried yesterday but my car malfunctioned on the road up, so it seemed like there was some kind of force preventing me getting to climb these hills. I'd also been a bit anxious about how to get up Stuc a'Chroin in the snow - that prow thing looked a little fearsome to a novice like me...did read through the various reports on here and didn't have the best of night's sleep thinking about it :shock:

Anyway - forecast was reasonable - a little fresh snow in the morning and moderate winds, so I got going about 7.30 and made it along to the parking beside Ardvorlich Estate just after nine. There were a few others there setting off to, so at least there would be other souls out and about if anything did happen :eh: :eh:

File1039 by 23weasels, on Flickr

After walking through the Estate path the hills all around, and the path were covered in 1-2 inches of new snow. My legs were a bit sore from my exertions up Binnien an Fhidhlier yesterday, but pressed on. Began to see the outline of Vorlich against the heavy sky.

File1043 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Met a woman who told me she was waiting for a party coming up, two of whom were going to get married at the top of Vorlich! Nice day for a white wedding, anyway :D Not that far after the path splits it became increasingly icy under the snow and by the time I was about two thirds of the way up had to put the crampons on. There were good views back to the hills up to the North

File1051 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1053 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1055 by 23weasels, on Flickr

and it was good to see a lack of clag at the top for a change, although the sky was leaden coloured. As I reached the last haul up Vorlich, met one of these runner blokes coming down - amazing :wink:

Made the summit of Vorlich in 2 hours and had a wee look round - didn't want to cool down too much.

File1069 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1071 by 23weasels, on Flickr
Looking over to SaC...

File1076 by 23weasels, on Flickr
Cairn to N of Vorlich top

At this point I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to attempt SaC, but did decide to walk down to the bealach to have a closer inspection. It's quite a drop in height, following the metal fence posts.

File1080 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1082 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Stopped to have a roll and consider what to do in a sheltered spot near the base, with a good look onto "the Prow".

File1084 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Plus a wee look back up at Vorlich
File1088 by 23weasels, on Flickr

I did have a route up on my GPS, but I reckoned it would be quite hard to follow in the snow - I also thought about going off round the WSW and climbing up the steepish route out of the corrie, but from the way the wind had been blowing I was worried that there was going to be quite a bit of cornicing at the top. So I thought I'd give the prow route a go - what's the worst that could happen :crazy:

It looked a bit steeper from the bottom than when I'd been looking over at it on the way down Vorlich. Initially I did try and see where the GPS route was going to take me, but I found that too challenging to look at whilst I was going up, and I wasn't keen on heading for the rocks that were sticking out of the snow as there was no telling how difficult they were going to be to get around - I didn't fancy scrambling over the rocks in crampons. So I thought the direct route was called for and decided to front point it straight up. The snow was well frozen and was taking my weight well - this was the first time I'd been out in my G12 crampons and thought I'd see how they fared. Pretty tiring, but didn't feel too scared unless I looked down :lol:

File1092 by 23weasels, on Flickr
Most of the way up...

Think it was actually easier to go up in this kind of snow than in non-snow conditions.

By the time I pulled myself over the edge and could walk on horizontal as opposed to what felt like nearly vertical stuff in bits I was exhilarated and did let out a small squeak of joy at getting up there :o
File1094 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Again great views back to Vorlich and down the steep North side of SaC.

File1096 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1098 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Headed over to the cairns along the ridge -
File1100 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1116 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1102 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1106 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1110 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1119 by 23weasels, on Flickr

another walker was just leaving as I was arriving, having presumably come up the south route, so I had the top to myself.

File1109 by 23weasels, on Flickr

To put the icing on the cake, got a double raven flyover as I walked from the North to the South cairn - yay!
File1114 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Headed along to the descent route which heads down a steep gully (marked with a cairn at the top) from the West aspect of SaC. This gave me plenty of practice about how to walk steep downhill with crampons on - truly a day of learning for me!.

File1126 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Side of the prow of SaC
File1118 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1119 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Another view of Prow of SaC
File1127 by 23weasels, on Flickr

And the full length:
File1131 by 23weasels, on Flickr

File1133 by 23weasels, on Flickr
The WH route contours round a NW outcrop of Vorlich which does save on distance compared with going down into the flat areas nearer Glen Ample, but was hard going on the legs in a mixture of powdery and hard frozen snow - seemed to go on for miles! Finally got back in sight of the return path, with a few walkers heading down. Trek back to the car was uneventful if a bit slippy in places - had to resort to eating snow as my reservoir tube had frozen solid :wtf: and I was quite thirsty after that walk. Snow was starting to fall (lightly) as I got back to the car for just before 3pm.

Gates out to the road
File1137 by 23weasels, on Flickr

{ I did have some pics of the adventure, but gutted to find that they're corrupted on the SD card after I viewed them once :evil: :cry: - if anyone has any tips for trying to restore such things, I'd be most grateful, otherwise imagination will have to suffice - Ha - downloaded some fancy software that fixed that problem}.

Felt really good about today - one of these times when you know you've tested yourself a little by doing something that challenged you a bit and it went OK :lol:
Last edited by weaselmaster on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Photo disaster! - Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin in the sn

Postby Graeme D » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 pm

I was on Creag Garbh on the south side of Loch Tay today and these two were looking mighty fine under a good covering of the white stuff! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Fudgie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:51 pm

An excellent read and that prow is great fun :lol:

Unlike Graeme I couldn't see those two today as I was a bit further north at Glenshee and the view South looked very dark and ominous. I'm glad it wasn't like that where you were :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:38 pm

A great report wm - well done on a learning day - very enjoyable reading. Shame about the photos - no idea how to help with the SD card, except to provide a photo of your prow from earlier this year...though I suspect it won't help... :wink:

The Prow - SaC.jpg
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 am

Scotjamie wrote:A great report wm - well done on a learning day - very enjoyable reading. Shame about the photos - no idea how to help with the SD card, except to provide a photo of your prow from earlier this year...though I suspect it won't help... :wink:

The Prow - SaC.jpg

Woo - it's GREEN!!

Thanks anyway - as you can see I managed to get a fix (CardRecovery in case anyone is in a similar fix, though it isn't free - tried a couple of shareware/freeware ones that didn't work first)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin in the snow

Postby IndoorMunroist » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:25 pm

Terrific photos, I really like the grey skies, really atmospheric. Double raven flyover - great phrase.
IndoorMunroist
Walker

Munros:66   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland