walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby gman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Route description: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire

Date walked: 27/12/2012

Time taken: 7.4 hours

Distance: 13 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

achralaig 27-12-2012 actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Fancied getting to 100 before New Year, weather looked not bad in Kintail so I kept the Boxing Day booze to a minumum and set the alarm for 4:30. Snow started around Crianlarich but didn't seem too heavy, got to the layby at 9ish.

After checking Google Maps for the parking spot I was looking for a block of forestry on the hill, but the trees are now gone. Looking towards layby from start of land rover track:

I think the path uphill branches off pretty early, but I missed it and just slogged up on steep grass, over to Am Bathach:

Hard going, but a lot of height gained quickly. Made it to the ridge:

Snow was firm up here so I got the crampons on for the steep bits. View back down to Loch Cluanie:

Sgurr nan Conbhairean:

South Glen Shiel ridge:

Became cloudier now, mainly above the tops but occasional clag too. Nice big cairn on A'Chralaig:

A few flecks turned into light snow, and this stayed on for the rest of the day so the camera was only out briefly. The wind was behind me though, so I didn't get a snow blown face till the way back :D Rest of the ridge to Mullach Fraoch-choire, looks good:

Snow was deep but firm, the descent from Achralaig was pretty steep in places so care needed. Of course, things got much more interesting later on :lol:

Got to the ridge leading to Mullach Fraoch-choire. Plan was: head up to the top then back to the bit of ridge on the far right to descend. I'd read there was a bit of scrambling over towers but there were bypass paths to avoid the dodgy bits. Of course, there weren't any paths in the snow so I went over the top of everything. Climbing the towers was OK, but going down required a lot more attention so I slowed to a crawl here. Bypassed the last one to the left, no path so axe & crampons stuck into the steep snow:

View back to A'Chralaig:

On the ridge to Mullach Fraoch-choire, care needed at cornices etc:

Made it to the cairn after several interesting/dodgy moments. Thought about going back over the towers to get to the descent point, but then had a 'better' idea - back to the ridge then straight down, avoiding the dodgy bits. It was fairly steep, but the snow was grippy. Also there were crags further down, but I reckoned I could traverse a bit and avoid them.

Went down backwards, facing the snow and got round the crags. Eventually got past the rocks so I could bumslide the rest of the way :D

Then onwards to the path/landrover tracks, which were easy to follow. Snow getting heavier now and the path was ice covered with snow in places so had a few slip ups as usual :D Got to the road and I could see cars moving slowly in the snow, so I took it easy on the return.

Snow was off and on during the journey, when I got to Glen Coe the police and mountain rescue were at the Bidean car park and the helicopter was just taking off as I passed, hope they were OK.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A'Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Postby mrssanta » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm

congratulations on hitting the century! well done
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Fudgie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Well done on the ton :clap:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby PeteR » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 am

Well done on reaching 100 :D A couple of cracking hills to mark the achievement and pretty testing too I would imagine in winter conditions. Wel done. Looks like you had a great day there :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Scotjamie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:07 am

Now that was an enjoyable report
Thanks gman
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby gman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks, tried to pick a good 'un for the 100th & this definitely fit the bill :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:53 pm

gman wrote:Thanks, tried to pick a good 'un for the 100th & this definitely fit the bill :D
Yeah good choice for you're hundreth and sounds like you had to work for it, well done. :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby soapy27 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:54 pm

Well done on your 100th gman nice report as well :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby simon-b » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:21 pm

A great report, gman, it sounds like you had an exciting time getting on and off Mullach Fraoch-choire. Congratulations on the century.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Meatball » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:38 am

I enjoyed that report!
Cracking day for you and brought back one of my highlights of 2012.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am

Great report and really liked your photos - the ridges lookded fantastic !! Well done on the 100 :clap: :clap: :clap: :D
wilkiemurray

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Very useful photos of the Mullachs 'gendarmes' under snow. Of course, bypass paths are of no use in these conditions, integrated into the steep snow slopes as they are.

Thanks!
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland