walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie - far from boring!

Ben Chonzie - far from boring!

Postby coachmacca » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 30/12/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As we are totally new to winter walking we got some great ideas for a 4 or 5 hour walk yesterday and headed for "Boring" Ben Chonzie.

Reading Pauls "The Munro's" book he comments on much maligned this hill is but that it makes a great Intro to Winter walking... and he couldnt have been more right.

Forecast was a "bit of wind" "some rain" and "maybe snow" so we headed up and arrived about 10.30 - need to quicken our morning prep....

Anyway weather was good to start , bit on the chilly side but dry :o

Followed the WH guide and sure enough found our way approaching the flanks of Ben Chonzie following the easy to walk path.

Ben Chonzie Dec 29 2012 by coachmacca, on Flickr
Chonzie come into view

Looking back from the low slopes of Chonzie - can anyone tell me what this this peak is ?

I'll let the pics do the report but the walk went well, we had to ford the burn up to our shins due it being in spate , the gaiters an Scarpa's coped VERY well - dry as a bone !

Once we hit the snowline we started to understand why WInter in Scotland is VERY different from Summer (well that bit between April and September).

First you learn that snow gets VERY DEEP- as i found as i stepped thigh deep into the stuff.

Next you discove that falling over is not only a possibility but inevitable... much laughing abound! :lol: :lol:

Next you discover .. its quite slippy.. put something smooth on it and lo and behold it travels unaided downhill. Fast. And far! :crazy:

Feeling the burn! . Are we there yet?

Then you discover what horizontal , freezing snow feels like on your face - Sandblasting anyone? _ goggles on then 8)

Finally .. navigation - Path? What Path? Compass out , basic skills required at least, landmarks (like the fence posts) essential and cross country become a viable option due to deep / crusted snow!

Samantha (My wife and patient companion)

Anyway - we LOVED it - almost a whiteout, following the posts, keeping bearings to hand we made it and back.

Heading back from the summit (once the snow had stopped!)

Even had time for a wee spot of a sport I like to call "Survival Bag Sledging"

Made it down for about 3.30, sandwiches in the car then headed home for a hot brew, food and a beer :)

Heading home

Ben Chonzie may be simple and not very inspiring in Summer but in Winter it rocks! :clap:

Winter Skills training at Glenmore in Feb - cant wait now, If anyone is heading out on the 2nd let me know I might tag along :)
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Ben Chonzie - far from boring!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm

coachmacca, so you made it, well done you and Sam :clap: , hope you found my report of some help. It's always good to hear a success story, bring on the New Year and many more days on the hills! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby joekell » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 pm

great wee report just what I was looking for took my first winter trek up ben arthur cause I knew it back to front so now I can,t wait to try chonzie thanks :)
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby Fudgie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Well done on completing it. I enjoyed that hill and it's one of many I need to return to on a clear day :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:35 pm

Looks like you had a grand day out.
There's a few of us heading to Sgor na h-ulaidh in Glen Coe on the second. You'd be welcome to join the fun

And you're mountain; if you were looking back the way you came and the shape does seem right; would be Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby coachmacca » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:11 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Looks like you had a grand day out.
There's a few of us heading to Sgor na h-ulaidh in Glen Coe on the second. You'd be welcome to join the fun

And you're mountain; if you were looking back the way you came and the shape does seem right; would be Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn.

Cheers for naming it ScottishLeaf ... having climbed it you'd think I'd recognise it ...

Also thanks for the offer, would love to but life/family has other plans :(

Have a good walk
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:coachmacca, so you made it, well done you and Sam :clap: , hope you found my report of some help. It's always good to hear a success story, bring on the New Year and many more days on the hills! :D

Cheers Rod , great suggestion!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby chickadee » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Looks great! I plan to do this hill in the spring once the snow goes. Not experienced enough to winter-walk alone! Love the whiteout photos, it looks so pretty.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby coachmacca » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:56 pm

chickadee wrote:Looks great! I plan to do this hill in the spring once the snow goes. Not experienced enough to winter-walk alone! Love the whiteout photos, it looks so pretty.

Hope you enjoy it as well :D We will go back in spring to see what the path looks like :wink:

Totally agree about not going out alone - if something did go wrong you would be snookered.

:shock:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby chickadee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm

coachmacca wrote:
chickadee wrote:Looks great! I plan to do this hill in the spring once the snow goes. Not experienced enough to winter-walk alone! Love the whiteout photos, it looks so pretty.

Hope you enjoy it as well :D We will go back in spring to see what the path looks like :wink:

Totally agree about not going out alone - if something did go wrong you would be snookered.

:shock:

Haha yeah, that's like me, I want to go back up Ben Vrackie when I can actually see it! And maybe even the view from the top...

I'm building up to a solo hill but it'll be in summer. My trip before Christmas was with a very experienced friend. I've read enough reports on here to make me realise what can happen!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby macq23 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Excellent to see Chonzie getting its well deserved reputation as a cracking hill to do :-) did this last month and it was fun fun fun in the snow snow snow!
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland