walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

That was 2012- This is 2013 - A hike up Ben Vrackie

That was 2012- This is 2013 - A hike up Ben Vrackie

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:20 am

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 01/01/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Vrackie – 2013

My plan had been to head up Gairbeinn near Newtonmore, however when I did not get to bed till nearer 03.00AM and awoke at 08.00AM (with a sore head) I decided on something closer (read shorter and higher chance of good weather). Headed off just after ten and reached a full car park – the hill looked extremely busy with New Year hikers :) So I parked up at the “overflow car park “ down the road and set off.
DSC04787.JPG
blue skies through trees

With things being busy I decided on taking the bealach path which was quieter. Additionally I then decided to forgot the path altogether and make my own way up to the summit from the north west side of Loch a’ Choire.
DSC04815.JPG
North west of summit
The first part was steep and I meandered through the crags but nothing too difficult. Higher up and the gradient eased a little. The views south over Strathtay and into the central belt were really good. I could pick out the Lomond Hills easily and am sure if I had looked long enough I might have seen Edinburgh!!! Further north and some of the hills had cloud on the tops – not too bad though :crazy:

Anyway spent 5 minutes on the top where I met the first people of the day – lots of people actually :crazy:
DSC04821.JPG
! I decided to skirt round to the Eastern top and then down from there as this would miss out the steep and slippy top section of the path.
DSC04822.JPG
summit ridge from east top
Due to the number of people coming up the way – I stayed on the grassy and heather just to the south of the path the most of the way to the lochan- actually easier walking – less slippy and easier on my old knees!! :wink:

A gentle stroll to the car and I was back home for 15.00. A good start to the year… :o :shock:

DSC04828.JPG
panorama view to Fife

DSC04825.JPG
ridge
wilkiemurray

Re: That was 2012- This is 2013 - A hike up Ben Vrackie

Postby heatheronthehills » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Brilliant video! I loved the music and the action shots. The hill looked amazing, a bit chilly in that wind but perfect to blow the hangover away. I'm always in awe at the quality of the videos produced by WH members. I could happily watch them all day. A video really captures the feel of the day and the conditions on the hill, far better than just photos or words. Keep these amazing videos coming :)
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby balgonie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm

I concur the videos of WH members are great to watch and a good advert for the great Scottish outdoors :)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:06 pm

Great video :D , great photographs :D , great day, blue skies althoigh cold wind :D . One thing can I ask did I see a couple of deer running (right to left) at the far side of the loch on your video? :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby chickadee » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh so that's what the view from Ben Vrackie looks like! I did it before Christmas and saw absolutely nothing due to cloud and clag. (I'll get around to writing up that report eventually!). Good incentive to go back one day. It seems to be a busy hill most days.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:53 pm

heatheronthehills wrote:Brilliant video! I loved the music and the action shots. The hill looked amazing, a bit chilly in that wind but perfect to blow the hangover away. I'm always in awe at the quality of the videos produced by WH members. I could happily watch them all day. A video really captures the feel of the day and the conditions on the hill, far better than just photos or words. Keep these amazing videos coming :)

Thanks - it was windy and cold - hence the utterly ridiculous goggles !! (they do make a massif difference in those conditions though :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:54 pm

balgonie wrote:I concur the videos of WH members are great to watch and a good advert for the great Scottish outdoors :)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:55 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Great video :D , great photographs :D , great day, blue skies althoigh cold wind :D . One thing can I ask did I see a couple of deer running (right to left) at the far side of the loch on your video? :)

Do you mean at the end? This was actually a couple I met en route down - they were heading back via the bealach path. The speeded up footage obviously make them move quicker and the blurred effect must makes them deer like :lol: :lol: unless its another bit Ive missed
thanks for the kind comments though
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:56 pm

chickadee wrote:Oh so that's what the view from Ben Vrackie looks like! I did it before Christmas and saw absolutely nothing due to cloud and clag. (I'll get around to writing up that report eventually!). Good incentive to go back one day. It seems to be a busy hill most days.

great views south towards the central belt for such an easily accessible and not too strenuous hill.. hope you get good weather whn you return
wilkiemurray

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland