walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Isla, Marilyn, Hare Cairn

Glen Isla, Marilyn, Hare Cairn

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hare Cairn

Date walked: 03/01/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 9.22 km

Ascent: 310m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are as yet no trip reports on WH for this hill, so I guess this must be the best one yet :lol: Decided to start from the Backwater Reservoir car park. This is a large car park with ample room for many vehicles. I start off at 1100hrs and take the tarmac road on the West side of the reservoir, it is very mild for the time of year and I am working up quite a sweat. This roadway continues a good 3k but if you dont fancy the hard road on the feet, a fine wee strip of cut grass on both sides of the road assists the walking.
A.JPG
Backwater reservoir car park, plenty of room for cars
B.JPG
Dam construction details. Follow road along the West side of reservoir, going through a large cast iron gate
C.JPG
There is a road to your left, disreguard and progress straight on adjacent to the reservoir, soon you pass this hut on your right
C.JPG
There is a road to your left, disreguard and progress straight on adjacent to the reservoir, soon you pass this hut on your right
D.JPG
Continue along road through a metal gate, eventually the metalled road stops and a grass track takes you around to the right
E.JPG
Looking South down the reservoir with Creight Hill on the left
F.JPG
Soon you come to a wooden gate, climb over and follow the track around to the left. There are two gates to chose from a double aluminium gate locked directly ahead and a single gate with an swing gate at the side. Be careful not much room for the rucksack and also spring loaded!
G.JPG
Looking down the reservoir from the timber gate
H.JPG
Heading into the woods, nice path through. It tookabout 50mins to get to the start of the woods
I.JPG
At the far end of the wood there is this timber gate and style with a handy placed rock to stand on
J.JPG
Turn left (NWest) and follow line of fence posts
K.JPG
Some roe deer feeding. This grassed area gives easy climbing to nearly the summit
L.JPG
Looking back down fence line to see the end of the reservoir and the Graham Corwham in the distance
M.JPG
Trig point on the summit in 1h20m. Before reaching the summit there is another fence to climb over at a right angled junction with stays both ways to assist the climb. From there it is a heathery stomp to the summit cairn
N.JPG
Mayar and Driesh from the top of Hare Cairn
O.JPG
Return down the track thro the heather which takes you to another firebreak in the trees (South). Soon you will arrive at another firebreak on your left, take this down to the reservoir
P.JPG
Start of the firebreak going East to reservoir
Q.JPG
The last section just before exiting the trees, there is a lot of wind damage, but not for any great distance
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by The Rodmiester on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glen Isla, Marilyn, Hare Cairn

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 pm

That looks like a pretty good way to tackle this one. I think I will copy it when the time comes. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Graeme D wrote:That looks like a pretty good way to tackle this one. I think I will copy it when the time comes. :D

Apart from the road section, which is ok, but road? the route through the trees is nice and fairly level and the climb is in the grassy field, which is better than trudging through dense forestry up and down. It worked out pretty well. I am saving Crock and Mile Hill for another day :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Bettybetsky » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Looks great. Might try that one tomorrow
Bettybetsky
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Bettybetsky wrote:Looks great. Might try that one tomorrow

Go for it, weather forecast good and look out for those roe deer at the back of the woods, ENJOY :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Prefer the look of this one of the two you walked today.

I have this hill on my list and thought I might get the first report in....................oh well.

Looks like it was a good day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Prefer the look of this one of the two you walked today.

I have this hill on my list and thought I might get the first report in....................oh well.

Looks like it was a good day.

Hi Gordie, I thought I would beat Graeme D to it, as he's been knocking off the local hills of late. How about you finding a better route up the Crock for me :lol: :lol:

It was a fine day, I actually got too hot, in January! Like you I much preferred this hill to the wee slog up the other.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 pm

I could try and find a better route up the Crock for you but there have been a few posts recently telling us that Aberdeenshire is the best county for walking in so I'm sneaking over the border tomorrow to give it a go!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby hills » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Such a lot of good detail in your reports, will defo copy this. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:14 pm

hills wrote:Such a lot of good detail in your reports, will defo copy this. :D

Thanks for that, 'hills', much appreciated. I never got to Ducaray Hill today, just got as far as Alyth and turned back, car was sliding all over the place, and did not fancy getting stuck in the Glen, but hope to be back soon and maybe pick up Hill of Persie as well. I really enjoyed Hare Cairn, hope you get a good day for it as well :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby hills » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 pm

I do fancy this, have walked at this reservoir before, its braw country. Getting up to the parking area may be an issue though, we will have to see how the snow goes... Aye lets hope the snow goes....
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 am

Been thinking about doing this along with Crock but not sure if it's possible after reading the reports on Crock. No doubt it would be a good wee adventure trying though :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:48 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Been thinking about doing this along with Crock but not sure if it's possible after reading the reports on Crock. No doubt it would be a good wee adventure trying though :crazy:

Hi Johnny C, yes I know what you mean I studied the os maps as well and thought about going inbetween, but was put off with the Crock reports. Good luck as and when you do them and look forward to reading your reports :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland