walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First report - Tom Bailgeann over Loch Duntelchaig

First report - Tom Bailgeann over Loch Duntelchaig

Postby tummelv » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Tom Bailgeann

Date walked: 03/01/2013

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 220m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi All! Long time lurker, first time poster here. Figured I'd start with my latest walk since there isn't an entry on Walkhighlands yet for this hill.

I decided to try Tom Bailgeann today as the weather was nice and it was local to me. Got to the parking area just before 2 and was home for just after 4, so a little over 2 hours all in all. The ground is extremely boggy for this one. Luckily you can avoid the worst of it by walking on the heather just to the side of the path but had a couple of slips both on the way up and down - no falls though. :clap: There is a police notice attached to the gate explaining that there should be no unauthorised persons on the path but I ignored it. Why put a trig point at the top of a hill you're not supposed to climb? :? Besides, the fence extends just a few metres either side of the gate so you can just walk around it. Don't think they're trying too hard to keep people off the hill! :lol:

The path is very steep right from the start so you gain height very quickly. The views over Loch Duntelchaig soon opened up.

Attempt at a panorama - didn't come out that great but gives you an idea of the view.

View from just before the summit, showing some of the path down.

There is a rather large transmitter at the top of the hill, festooned with warnings and police cctv in operation signs. The trig point can be seen at the bottom left of the mast.

Views into the sun - The hills on the far right in the distance are the ones over Loch Ness.

View of the mast from the other side.

I would have liked to show a couple of more photos over the Loch Ness side of the hill but they didn't come out so well. It was pretty hazy today so would be a wasted effort to show you guys. Still, enjoyed myself today. I've been trying to focus on lower hills nearby to me lately. Save my time and petrol money for the nicer weather ahead, I think!

Have a few collections of photos from other trips I have done over the last few months. I may upload them at a later point. Hope you all enjoy these. :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

tummelv
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:25
Fionas:19   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:77   

Re: First report - Tom Bailgeann over Loch Duntelchaig

Postby malky_c » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 am

Nice one - I like seeing reports from this area :) . All of the other Marilyns in the vicinity are worth doing (although some are pretty rough) - Stac Gorm over by Loch Ruthven is probably the best.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Ian Johnston » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 pm

Great stuff tummelv,

A little-known hill and some nice images - perfect!

Kind regards

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Nice report, some good views. Like the one of the transmitter dwarfing trig point.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby AdamMcBean » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 pm

I did this hill today and found it to be a plesant walk. Great photos by the way.
AdamMcBean
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland