walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aberfeldy Corbetts to kick start 2013 - make Mine a double!

Aberfeldy Corbetts to kick start 2013 - make Mine a double!

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill, Meall Tairneachan

Date walked: 03/01/2013

Time taken: 5.4 hours

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 915m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2013 is upon us and I have to say, I have fewer specific, concrete walking plans for this year than for any of the past 3 or 4 years. I guess it would just be nice to get out a little more than in 2012, when my total haul dropped for a second consecutive year. The elusive half way Munro has continued to elude me since mid-October, but it is only a matter of time. In fact, early February should see that put to bed when I have scheduled another attempt at Beinn Mheadhoin, although given my previous history with that one, I will be taking nothing for granted. :roll:

One thing I did have in mind for this coming year was to try and give more attention to the Corbetts, my 2012 total having slumped dramatically to a measly 8. So what better start to this resolution than to knock off the two to the north of Aberfeldy with the year only 3 days old. Kev was more than willingly recruited to the cause and arrangements were made for a 2 car point-to-point route. He was at my door at 8 o'clock as promised and we hit the A9 north to Ballinluig and then along the A827 to the turn off for the minor road along to Strathtay, where a minor navigational malfunction saw us heading back over the Tay into Grandtully.

After a nifty about turn we were back on the road heading towards the entrance to the Edradynate estate, not entirely sure where the best place was to leave one of the cars. After a few more faffs and 3-point turns we ended up at what looked like an estate gate house with a few cars parked outside. There was no other sign of life but as we were debating our next course of action, a bloke came out the door with a dog and after a terse if not exactly unfriendly exchange, he informed us that we could park in the field. Eh, which field would that be then? The one on the left a short distance down the road in the direction of Weem with the metal gate and a Canoe club notice attached to it. OK. Cheers. Happy New Year to you! :lol:

Kev left his motor in the field and we took mine round the B846 to the start of the mine access track about 1.5km north of the Schiehallion Road junction. It's a helluva steep old start on the muddy track up through the forestry before things level off a bit round Meall Damh.

IMG_1335.JPG
Schiehallion - a dominant feature for most of the day

IMG_1336.JPG
Mudbath access track

IMG_1337.JPG
That Schiehallion thingy again

IMG_1338.JPG
Farragon Hill and distant Beinn a'Ghlo shortly before leaving the track

We stayed on the track for as long as we could, almost skirting behind Meall Tairneachan before taking to a faint path for the short pull up to the summit. Finally, Corbett number 50 for yours truly. :D

The views were fine, especially towards Schiehallion and the Glen Lyon Munros, but the wind chill was enough to deter us from lingering too long. A quick bite to eat and something from the flasks and we were descending back towards the track for the more industrial part of the experience in the shape of the barytes mine.

IMG_1339.JPG
Kev's still trying to chase up that pizza delivery - Schiehallion and Carn Mairg horseshoe as a backdrop

IMG_1340.JPG
Farragon Hill from Meall Tairneachan

IMG_1342.JPG
Farragon Hill from descent off Meall Tairneachan

IMG_1343.JPG
Kev and Lucy on descent

At the sharp bend just before the mine we disturbed a group of tourists "on safari" with Highland Safaris in the act of photographing a mountain hare. Needless to say the hare scarpered the minute we appeared on the scene. Oh well, these things happen on safari! They seemed fairly philosophical about it though, and showed us a photo they had captured of the hare legging it in full flight. As Kev pointed out, the action shot only happened because we scared the thing off. Otherwise it would just have been a photo of a hare sitting on its fat arse doing nothing. :lol:

On through the vaguely surreal, almost lunar landscape of the mine, stopping for the obligatory arty shots at one of the tunnels, where the noises and smells emanating from the dark interior were more than just a little creepy. :?

IMG_1345.JPG
Farragon Hill from inside one of the mine tunnels

IMG_1346.JPG
Beinn a'Ghlo as seldom seen in calendar shots

About a kilometre and a half later, we left the track shortly before it petered out in boggy looking ground in the coire due west of Farragon Hill. From here we headed east southeast to pick up the shoulder leading northeast up to the crag-ringed summit.

IMG_1347.JPG
Kev trying to outstare Farragon

IMG_1352.JPG
Knobbly terrain towards a very fine looking Corbett

IMG_1354.JPG
Back to Tairneachan with Schiehallion still getting in on the act

IMG_1355.JPG
A less industrial view of Bheinn a'Ghlo from the slopes of Farragon Hill looking across Beinn Eagagach

If the wind had been a mild irritation at the summit of Tairneachan, it was considerably more of a nuisance here and it was about all we could do to stand still for the summit photos.

IMG_1359.JPG
9 months on from the original call from the Ring of Steall, realisation dawns on Kev that the pizza probably isn't coming

IMG_1360.JPG
Yours truly on a wild and windy Farragon summit

IMG_1361.JPG
Northeast from Farragon to Beinn a'Ghlo again with Lochan a' Chait just visible down below

IMG_1362.JPG
Zoomed in on Beinn a'Ghlo

IMG_1363.JPG
Lochan a' Chait

We quickly dropped north out of the wind and found a nice sheltered lunch spot below some crags with fine views across Lochan a' Chait to Beinn a'Ghlo and the Glen Tilt hills. It was a cracking wee spot for lobbing bits of roll and dog biscuits down the slope to keep Lucy occupied and her nose out of our lunches.

Then it only remained to descend east to pick up the track to the northwest of Loch Derculich for the descent back through the forestry and via Blackhill to the cottage on the road at Easter Cluny and the short walk back along the road to Kev's car.

IMG_1365.JPG
Kev and Lucy descending above Loch Derculich

IMG_1366.JPG
Back on track for the walk out

IMG_1368.JPG
Back to Farragon Hill from the plantation beside Loch Derculich

IMG_1369.JPG
Farragon Hill shows her character as she bids us farewell

At the edge of the track, just before the left turn towards the fields above Blackhill Farm we came across a strange structure that reminded me of the ladders with seats at the top that lifeguards use as lookout posts. It looked like it had some kind of adaptation at the top for accomodating a deer shooter, and Kev's natural landed gentry instincts made it inevitable that he would climb up for a wee look. With a little imagination you could imagine him sitting up there in full tweeds and deer stalker ........ :lol:

IMG_1370.JPG
Tighter gun control laws are required on the hills. Discuss.

All in all a cracking day to start the new year, enjoyable conversation about hills past and future, the joys of dog ownership, that elusive lottery win and the evils of public sector management "initiatives". And of course going through the 50 barrier for Corbetts - all rounded off by a swift half in the Taybank in Dunkeld on the way down the road.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Aberfeldy Corbetts to kick start 2013 - make Mine a doub

Postby kevsbald » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Yup, a nice day out and good to catch up. Sorry for the headbutt.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Gavin99 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:44 pm

That's a nice start to 2013 , these look an interesting couple of hills 8)
Were you two fighting ?
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Nice two corbetts to kick start the year. Highland Safaris were in action when we did them as well last year. Bet your glad you did the circuit and did not have to come down that track, a real mess! You would not credit it, it's just as well we went back the we we came as we all walked passed the mine entrance :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jonny616 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Grand views and a lovely looking walk :clap:

So glad i choose the 2nd as my first new year walk :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Gavin99 wrote: Were you two fighting ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry Gav. Not a sudden outburst of hill rage. Just a loss of footing by Kev on a tricky section of descent! :shock: :lol:
Graeme D

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 am

Some nice views from these two and the mine adds to the interest. Good having 2 cars as well to save doubling back :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:47 pm

well done the two of you and to you graeme for your 50th - hope you do manage to get out more this year - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Damn fine looking hill Schiehallion, if a bit of a creepy stalker....
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 am

What a fine start to the year Graeme with some stunning views throughout, gongrats on passing the 50 barrier, I hope there are 50 more like this one :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Well done on the half century Graeme :D . I have these 2 down for a winter day out as well. Love the mine photo :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 am

A great day out Graeme and a mighty fine bedtime read. Wonderful stuff reaching 50 corbetts :) :) :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 am

That looks a fine walk linking those two. A few years back we stayed in a holiday cottage at the foot of Farragon. It was before Corbetts were much on my radar and I'm kicking myself we only walked half way up it - have to go back! So how did Lucy do? That looks a fair old distance to test labrador joints! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:09 pm

dogplodder wrote:So how did Lucy do? That looks a fair old distance to test labrador joints!

She did great, thanks! After me stating on here recently that I was sure big hill days were a thing of the past for her, she seems to have a renewed spring in her step. 8)
Graeme D

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm

Graeme D wrote:
dogplodder wrote:So how did Lucy do? That looks a fair old distance to test labrador joints!

She did great, thanks! After me stating on here recently that I was sure big hill days were a thing of the past for her, she seems to have a renewed spring in her step. 8)

Way to go Lucy! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland