walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Crags and Some Fells

Some Crags and Some Fells

Postby DaveB1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Date walked: 15/07/2012

Time taken: 14

Distance: 29.7 km

Ascent: 1839m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These are the routes

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This report consists of two separate walks done in July 2012. The first to Eagle Crag, Sergeant’s Crag and on to Rossett Pike and Seathwaite Fell, with Jim and Mick and the second a fortnight later to Raven Crag (done at the third attempt! :D ) with just Mick, then a short car journey to Sale Fell and Ling Fell, all part of the on going Wainwright bagging obsession.
Eagle Crag - July 2012 012.jpg
Eagle Crag

Eagle Crag is a great hill and has all the elements of a big mountain including a good but safe scramble. We followed the Cumbria Way from Stonethwaite to the junction with Langstrath beck did a right over the footbridge, then followed AW’s description going to the second wall before ascending steeply.
Eagle Crag - July 2012 015.jpg
The Scrambly bits

Eagle Crag - July 2012 017.jpg
View down to Stonethwaite

The way up allowed for a scramble and various zigzagging up rock ledges in a fairly exposed route, but great fun and safe.
The clear path then took us straight to Sergeant’s Crag and then the words Jim and Mick greet with a sense of foreboding ‘we’re going off piste’. In this case a roughly direct line to the Stake Pass path to meet up with the path to Rossett Pike.
Eagle Crag - July 2012 025.jpg
Sergeants Crag from the 'off piste' bit

You may be thinking this is an odd route, but Rossett Pike was one of those hills that I had been past many times, but never sure when I’d been up it so it was included. The weather gave nice views of the Langdales.
Eagle Crag - July 2012 028.jpg
Langdales

Rossett Pike done; then onward via Angle Tarn, Esk Hause and a right turn at Sprinkling Tarn to head for Seathwaite Fell the last Wainwright of the day.
Eagle Crag - July 2012 036.jpg
Seathwaite Fell from Sprinkling Tarn

A straightforward path dodging minor tarns found us on top pretty quickly and admiring the view down to Seathwaite.
Eagle Crag - July 2012 037.jpg
View to Seathwaite

A short discussion about the way down took us eventually to the Styhead Tarn path and down to Stockley Bridge, not before I’d measured my length on the ground by tripping over my new boots (a size bigger than usual), gashing my knee, tearing my trousers, turning the air blue and administering first aid. A salutary experience and had it happened a few minutes earlier could have been a terminal one! The journey back to the car was uneventful and I made sure I put money in the Mountain Rescue box on the bar just in case I ever need a lift!

A fortnight later found Mick and me, parking at Thirlmere and heading sans rucksacks up the track to Raven Crag.
Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 002.jpg
Raven Crag

The area is managed by United Utilities who look after Thirlmere for Manchester folk’s drinking water and of course ‘elf and safety is paramount. So the signed path to Raven Crag has been shut for at least six months due to fallen trees and the danger they present. Of course you don’t find this out till you’ve done most of the uphill bit! Mick and I decided to give it a go following the many footprints.
Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 003.jpg
The Blocked Path

Without rucksacks it was fairly easy, although very wet in places and you had to be careful of large sticky out bits of branch at eye and groin level. Once through the fallen trees the rest of the going was straight forward up a good path and eventually on to the top, where it started raining (how unusual for July we thought :lol: :lol: ).
Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 007.jpg
View to Thirlmere from Summit

The way down was also a bit of a challenge but improved no end when the sun came out.
Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 008.jpg
This shows where to come out and an easier way in

Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 009.jpg
Way down with the sun out!

Back at the car we headed for the road to Sale Fell signed Wythop Mill and ‘The Pheasant’. We parked the car at the side of the road near the start of the path, donned rucksacks and set off for Sale Fell. This isn’t the highest hill in The Lakes (1178ft or 359m if you prefer) and was a gentle walk over grassy pastures but provided a nice viewpoint for Ling Fell
Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 013.jpg
Summit of Sale Fell with view to Ling Fell

We left the summit heading for Eskin and the starting point to get up Ling Fell which tops Sale Fell by 46ft or 14m. After a stop for lunch we headed up to the trig point took a photo and headed off towards Wythop Mill and back to the car. Not a long day but three more to add to the bagged list and a view of the Lake District from a different perspective.
Raven Crag,Sale & Ling Fell -290712 016.jpg
Ling Fell with Binsey in the distance
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Some Crags and Some Fells

Postby AndyRitchie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Looks like you got similar weather to what my wife and I got when we climbed Raven Crag last year :lol:
AndyRitchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:161
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:53 am

Another great read Dave :clap: this
not before I’d measured my length on the ground by tripping over my new boots
had me laughing (not at the injury but the description) glad to see no real harm done. Raven Crag looks a bit like hard work in the early stages...and some of the later stages too :shock: still little sign of sunshine even in july.... :roll:
This year mate...2013 will bring you glorious sunshine and cloud free munros every time you go out :think: well maybe not every time :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Nice wander Dave and I was pleased to see I am not the only one that falls over Boots!! Old or new! :oops: Some good pictures as well!! :D
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby DaveB1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 pm

garyhortop wrote:Nice wander Dave and I was pleased to see I am not the only one that falls over Boots!! Old or new! :oops: Some good pictures as well!! :D

Cheers Gary, the boots are performing well now and hopefully will last a few years :) I've only got a basic digital camera and adopt a point and click method. Just occasionally I get a 'dinger' of a photo. It keeps me happy :lol:
Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Postby DaveB1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 pm

ChrisW wrote:Another great read Dave :clap: this
not before I’d measured my length on the ground by tripping over my new boots
had me laughing (not at the injury but the description) glad to see no real harm done. Raven Crag looks a bit like hard work in the early stages...and some of the later stages too :shock: still little sign of sunshine even in july.... :roll:
This year mate...2013 will bring you glorious sunshine and cloud free munros every time you go out :think: well maybe not every time :wink:

Thanks Chris
I just hope you're snow free by June :lol: thoroughly enjoying your reports, still got a couple of belated ones to put in and hoping to get out this coming Sunday, whatever the weather! Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland