walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Avon thoughts of a second round... Said Monty

Ben Avon thoughts of a second round... Said Monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Route description: Ben Avon via Gleann an-Slugain

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Ben Avon

Date walked: 05/01/2013

Time taken: 8.9 hours

Distance: 39 km

Ascent: 1811m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So 24 Munros to go then; I've plans to compleat this year, hopefully in May in Knoydart, so time to get cracking on the last remaining hills... With the sad loss of our good friend Graham in the Cuillins in late 2012, I've also been itching to get back into the hills... Get back on the bike so to speak... We all know the dangers in the hills; and yet for those that love them; we can't stay away... Graham was like that... And I'm no different...

Monty was up for a good hoof in the Cairngorms and suggested we pop up Ben Avon and Beinn a'Bhuird... Okay then...

We thought we'd be okay for time; with daylight 8am till 4pm at this time of year... It was going to be close but the walk out is along a track so no great drama in the dark... It would all depend how much snow was up there whether we get this done or not but we decided to give it a shot...

The drive up from Bridge of Allan took a little under an hour and a half and we were underway at 7:50 am... A couple of cars come the other way and provide some light for this picture looking back toward the start with the hills behind...

Ben Avon 001.jpg
Near the start...

Monty sets a fairly rapid pace up the glen and we're through the 12 km mark in under 2 hours... I'm feeling the Xmas Turkey already!! Going to be a tough day then... Ahh well...

We're finding patches of snow now, and it's soft and strength sapping; in general the snow is soft and we're sinking into it with each step, sometimes up the waist haha... Traversing the left side of the alt isn't that pleasant so Monty suggests we go straight up before the Beallach and knock off Beinn a'Bhuird first... So we do...

Ben Avon 002.jpg
Getting whiter...

We even found a yeti on route...

Ben Avon 003.jpg
Yeti Monster...

Once up the side of the glen it was undulating and gently slopes to the summit of Beinn a'Bhuird with no difficulties; just more strength sapping snow... Monty needs some help finding the top as we're in the clag; fortunately sat map is to hand... And it's no bother...

So this is a special munro for me; I think the first I've ever climbed with a munroist!! Haha Monty is now famous and his number is 5184 (though he thinks it's 5584). He's always had trouble counting; remember Kintail? Haha

Ben Avon 004.jpg
Me on the summit of Beinn a'Bhuird...

Then it's off to Ben Avon; we stop for some lunch on the way; care is required at the top of the descent to the beallach where it's icy and steep but we're soon through that and down to the beallach where the wind is pretty strong... We'd been spared the 65mph winds forecast on MWIS until this point!

Ben Avon 005.jpg
On the descent to the Beallach...

Monty is walking at about a 70 degree angle through the beallach to stop himself being blown over... It's bearable though, and not too hard to walk in... As we climb the other side toward Ben Avon the wind subsides again...

Ben Avon 006.jpg
Not much snow...

It's not long before we're at Ben Avon; and we scramble to the top... I stand at the top, but Monty doesn't join me; he's too busy shouting at me to get down; he's not used to the breeze in the hills as he's a summer walker only really... Turns out he didn't make the top of this one on his first round either; only his hand did.... Ah well bless him...

Ben Avon 007.jpg
Monty's breeze goggles...

Time for Monty to put his goggles on as we'll be into the breeze on the way back... The traverse down the beallach isn't too bad... We see a rescue helicopter circling on the south face of Cnap a'Chleirich... Hopefully everything was okay; though there a couple of cars in the car park on our return so we were a little worried...

Ben Avon 008.jpg
Rescue Helicopter & Monty...

The walk out is pretty unenjoyable... For me... My legs are in a whole world of pain they've very rarely been in before... Maybe two pieces of toast for three days isn't the right preparation for a walk this size... Either way Monty takes great pleasure in my pain and scampers off ahead to the finish with 10km to go leaving me hobbling in on ma crutches some 15 minutes later haha... Best he left me; I was in agony; needed some mental strength and choice words for the Gorms to finish this walk...

That's it for the Cairngorms for me then; a good hoof where we saw not a soul all day... Overall though; they aren't my favourite hills in Scotland and I wonder if I'll ever walk here again... Different strokes for different folks; you can cover some serious ground here if you want to; and they can be good for losing yourself in... But they're just not my favourite hills...

Chalk this one up as a rare Monty win then... Haha...

2013 - 01 - 05 - Ben Avon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

2013 - 01 - 05 - Ben Avon.jpg
The Stats...
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Ben Avon thoughts of a second round... Said Monty

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm

that's pretty good going, no hanging about there despite the soft stuff
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby monty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:18 pm

Great report Andrew. Humorous as always. At this rate you might make that magic munroist number 5555. 8)

A rare Monty win
!! Just setting the tone for the way its going to be this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

A nice long walk with good company to start the year. Superb. 8)
monty

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Great effort to cover that distance in such a short time. I would be lucky to cover it on a bike in that time :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:38 pm

monty wrote:
A rare Monty win
!! Just setting the tone for the way its going to be this year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh dear this could get very messy.

Its a long walk for a short day,well done both of you.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 pm

Good efort for the time of year. Mind you, I've heard that Monty takes big strides......well, usually anyway, except when the cramp gets the better of him........ :wink: :wink: :wink:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:00 am

Great effort you guys and great report Andrew

gammy leg walker wrote:Oh dear this could get very messy.

I agree with GLW - start of the yeti vs monty competition.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Haha... Okay then; the Yeti versus the Monty... :clap: :clap:

Worth a recap (ignoring Skye becuase they were in large groups)... :lol: :lol:

Round 1 - The Brothers and Sisters...
I basically carry Monty over 5 munros...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15090
Yeti 1 - Monty 0

Round 2 - Ben Wyvis... and some other little hill...
Monty basically stops moving and the second summit has to walk to him...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18504
Yeti 2 - Monty 0

Round 3 - Character Building on Beinn Dearg (Ullapool)
Monty sums this one up in his own words... "I struggle to ascend the final 80m and to add insult to injury Victoria runs past me to the summit of Seana Bhraigh hahaha"
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20040
Yeti 3 - Monty 0

Round 4 - Torridon...
Monty collapses on the first hill and begs me to turn round after two
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23106
Yeti 4 - Monty 0

Round 5 - The Mullardoch Round...
Monty only manages a pathetic 1/3 of the walk achieving just 4 of 12 munros...
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21667
Yeti 5 - Monty 0

Round 6 - Bidean Nam Bian & Friends...
Yeti struggles; still dead after the enormity of Round 5 the week before and Monty chalks up his first win
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22513
Yeti 5 - Monty 1

Round 7 - Ben Avon...
No contest; a win for Monty...
This report...
Yeti 5 - Monty 2

It's like I'm making a game of it slowly letting Monty back into it because I got bored hahahahahaha :lol: :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby Benjaminnevis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

That is ah rapid time at is specialy wee snaw to get through is weel. :clap:
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby monty » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Round 1- Brothers and sisters.
Yeti stayed sober the night before. Monty got seriously drunk and was still drunk in the morning. Monty should not have been walking to the shops never mind bagging munro's. Challenge abandoned :wink:
Yeti(Red Card) 0 - Monty 0

Round 2- Ben Wyvis et al
Monty was hammered :clap:
Yeti 1 - Monty 0

Round 3- Character Building .........
Monty walked all 40km and 5 Munro's in one day. Yeti and his entourage walked 15km in the night before and camped out. Therefore Monty wins the challenge. :clap:
Yeti 1 - Monty 1

Round 4- South Torridon.
Monty was ill after 3km and could barely walk. Monty playes the Joker. Challenge abandoned. :(
Yeti 1 - Monty 1

Round 5- The Mull....... Round
No Contest :clap:
Yeti 2 - Monty 1

Round 6- BideanNem et all
Yeti was a mere shadow of his former self. This is the start of his decline :lol:
Yeti 2 - Monty 2

Round 7- This walk.
No Contest. Yeti's decline is looking terminal 8) :lol:
Yeti 2 - Monty 3

Therfore it looks like Monty is winning.
smile.gif

Once upon a time in the dark reaches of the past Yeti done a big round that not even Monty could do (on the day mind you). It seems like the old (still a youngster) boy is going to harp on about that round, I can't quite bring myself to repeat the name, as he continues his decline into obscurity :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:26 pm

monty wrote:Once upon a time in the dark reaches of the past Yeti done a big round that not even Monty could do (on the day mind you).

You busy talking yourself into a third walk along the northern shore in as many years? Haha :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, when we're out in the mountains together I swear you look at me funny... It's like you're looking at me through glass... You can see me, but you cannae touch me... :lol: :lol:
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:49 pm

Monty.....At the end of the day... you just need to say to AD '' whos the compleatist here '' :wink:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby SMRussell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:10 pm

This is certainly a long one for January :clap: . Did this route back in April with loads more snow using the bikes on the approach - hard going but well worth it. I'd have probably keeled over if I'd had to walk at Monty pace mind! We saw the sea king as we headed back from Avon too come to think of it.

Love the second photo :D
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby monty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Hey MT you are my favourite girl. And that is the correct answer hahaha :D

Thanks smrussel
monty

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland